Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
most likely shtf scenarios
5 January 2013, 16:14,
RE: most likely shtf scenarios
(5 January 2013, 14:58)Highlander Wrote: It seems that we are the only country that has these problems,.. even a country like Cyprus manages better than we do,... up in the Troodos mountains they issue the military with 6ft poles, when they park up at night, they have to secure the poles to their drivers mirrors, so that if it snows during the night and covers the cars, the snow blowers know where the car is so that they dont bulldose it.

7 ft over night often happened, and they never take all the snow away, they do what BDG said, they always left an inch or so to go hard,... and everyone used chains or studs,... everyone seemed able to get where they we going to

because we have several generations of sheeple who can no longer think for themselves, they have to have everything done for them by the state, and dont have the brain cells to look after themselves, that after all is why they are sheeple not preppers.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 January 2013, 17:34,
FOR EXAMPLE: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/ind...shing.html
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 January 2013, 17:35,
You are not the only country that has these problems. I live in a porton of the U.S. that averages 3-4 feet of snow each year. That is not a great ammount at one time since it is spread over the entire span of December, Jan, Feb and March. Sometimes we do get a 12"-14" fall in one dump.

It never fails that when one of our storms is bad enough for the ice to break the electric lines the entire region goes into panic.

I remember a couple of years ago one of the local TV news crews interviewing a resident who claimed his family was freezing to death! they had no heat, they had no food, they had no way to cook food! There were shelters open but due to the deep snow they could not reach help. The government should step in and do something.

When the broadcast flashed back to the station crew one of the announcers immidiately asked, "If the roads are impassible how did you get too these folks?"

The people simply shut down and refused to do anything, or any thinking, for themselves.
5 January 2013, 17:44,
(5 January 2013, 17:35)Mortblanc Wrote: I remember a couple of years ago one of the local TV news crews interviewing a resident who claimed his family was freezing to death! they had no heat, they had no food, they had no way to cook food! There were shelters open but due to the deep snow they could not reach help. The government should step in and do something.

When the broadcast flashed back to the station crew one of the announcers immidiately asked, "If the roads are impassible how did you get too these folks?"

The people simply shut down and refused to do anything, or any thinking, for themselves.
this is just the sort of thing i mean, they cant do anything for themselves they expect "the govt will save us"!!
5 January 2013, 22:06,
(5 January 2013, 17:44)bigpaul Wrote:
(5 January 2013, 17:35)Mortblanc Wrote: The people simply shut down and refused to do anything, or any thinking, for themselves.
this is just the sort of thing i mean, they cant do anything for themselves they expect "the govt will save us"!!

yes, but that is the local authorities for! they must have emergency plans for several situations.
well may be not for the killer asteroid hit, but for snowy winter certainly!
i mean every local council has a list of disabled and elderly people living alone in their constituency. so how hard it is to send someone to check on them?

do you guys have some kind of volunteer paramilitary organizations in the uk?
and i don't mean volunteer fire brigades and water rescuers.

because we have, they called in translation the defense union and they are most helpful in case of disasters. they usually report to the army chief. it is something like US national guards, but not exactly the same. union members allowed to have automatic weapon at home and there are very strict behavior rules for them existing. but in case of natural disasters they act locally with cooperation with the local authorities.
usually they help in search of missing persons and extinguishing forest fires, but also helping with the major unrest. they usually train in their free time, at weekends without the paying, but the government will pay them for the disaster days during the weekdays. and the employers have no right to fire the defense union members for not attending during the disasters. there are lot of respectable and well known people in the defense union including the womens and the childrens organization.

if it is just one winter flick anomaly, it'll be lot of cold damage to the agriculture and the insurance companies, but in general it will be just fine!
one more experience richer.
5 January 2013, 22:22,
(5 January 2013, 22:06)ErikEst Wrote:
(5 January 2013, 17:44)bigpaul Wrote:
(5 January 2013, 17:35)Mortblanc Wrote: The people simply shut down and refused to do anything, or any thinking, for themselves.

yes, but that is the local authorities for! they must have emergency plans for several situations.
well may be not for the killer asteroid hit, but for snowy winter certainly!
i mean every local council has a list of disabled and elderly people living alone in their constituency. so how hard it is to send someone to check on them?

do you guys have some kind of volunteer paramilitary organizations in the uk?
and i don't mean volunteer fire brigades and water rescuers.

because we have, they called in translation the defense union and they are most helpful in case of disasters. they usually report to the army chief. it is something like US national guards, but not exactly the same. union members allowed to have automatic weapon at home and there are very strict behavior rules for them existing. but in case of natural disasters they act locally with cooperation with the local authorities.
usually they help in search of missing persons and extinguishing forest fires, but also helping with the major unrest. they usually train in their free time, at weekends without the paying, but the government will pay them for the disaster days during the weekdays. and the employers have no right to fire the defense union members for not attending during the disasters. there are lot of respectable and well known people in the defense union including the womens and the childrens organization.

if it is just one winter flick anomaly, it'll be lot of cold damage to the agriculture and the insurance companies, but in general it will be just fine!
one more experience richer.

We dont have a unit like that, unless we include the Territorial Army,.. which I guess is simular, but do not, get called out for these kind of events, ever as I am aware

Yes, you are right all local authorities have emergency planning for local emergencies, but each council is responsible for their own plans, there is no national blueprint, so the plans vary greatly in how good or bad they are,... in a very general rule, we might find that the cites are better able to help people than the rural areas,...it all comes down to money, and councils are very short of funds.

We used to be very good at pulling together in this country, sadly those days are long gone,.. now we have people dieing through lack of attention, because the country has stripped everything away from so many folk,... it takes money for old people to look after themselves,.. many simply dont have it,...and the days of the friendly helpfull neighbore [in many places] has disapeared
A major part of survival is invisibility.
5 January 2013, 22:59,
(5 January 2013, 22:22)Highlander Wrote: We dont have a unit like that, unless we include the Territorial Army,.. which I guess is simular, but do not, get called out for these kind of events, ever as I am aware
Yes, you are right all local authorities have emergency planning for local emergencies, but each council is responsible for their own plans, there is no national blueprint, so the plans vary greatly in how good or bad they are,... in a very general rule, we might find that the cites are better able to help people than the rural areas,...it all comes down to money, and councils are very short of funds.
We used to be very good at pulling together in this country, sadly those days are long gone,.. now we have people dieing through lack of attention, because the country has stripped everything away from so many folk,... it takes money for old people to look after themselves,.. many simply dont have it,...and the days of the friendly helpfull neighbore [in many places] has disapeared
well, this is just so sad. if you think the current situation in uk is so depressing how do anybody could hope for better future at all? even without the major natural catastrophies?

well, then you have to make your own local team. just to protect your area from hostile intruders.
5 January 2013, 23:10,
^^^^^^^^^^, yes, thats what we try to do as Prepers, most people realise that we simply cant rely on the authorites,..its up to us as individuals to do what we can,..it is sad,... but to be honest, even if we did have a very good backup response, I think I would still be a prepper.

There are preppers who do form groups, we have them on here, but thats not always possible for some of us, and simply of no interest to others.

In a way, doing things for ourselves is the better of the two option,... if we had a goverment who was able to rush to our rescue, I am sure we would be numbered, put down and controled, I wouldnt want that,..in many ways our worse problem would be our goverment
A major part of survival is invisibility.
5 January 2013, 23:56,
i pretty much understand you well.
i starting to hate my gov already six months ago. what a jerks!
selling all states property to the richies.
trying to make fire brigades and water safety voluntary.
in the same time selling the internet rights in the country to the certain overseas owners
6 January 2013, 01:23,
If, in this country, you are old, or infirm, or disabled, or have bad mental health, and you as the powers for help a couple of times - you will get moved into social / council housing on the outskirts of a city centre or town centre in a connurbation.

Ideology of the power now says no one will look after such people in the sticks, and this is partly true, due to the power deeming the way of life in the stick to be no good for people.

People, who in the past were more than happy to look after their kith and kin, but because people who live in towns have read a few books, they believe they are better to manage the lives of other in the country side that they may have driven through or walked in some mud on a management training weekend or outward bound session.

What makes me laugh, but cry at the same time is people like tony benn. He could have ran and managed an estate making loads of money and used it to pay good wages to the staff, a marketing service, heavy equipment hire and storage to farmers, fostered an artisan local food industry and sold branded food nationally, provided a cottage and enough land for a couple of sows and piglets, a veg garden and poultry enclosure and orchards enough for top fruit and grazing to fatten a goose or several for each family.

Instead he chose to martyr himself, stick his nose into the motor industry, destroy it and do no good anywhere else.

Meanwhile, those that could have been living a life so damn close to what they wanted on his estate had to make do with a city centre high rise flat, broken elevator and a bad choice of food.