Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the best animals for self sufficiency
30 December 2012, 14:21,
the best animals for self sufficiency
http://preparednessadvice.com/animals/th...fficiency/
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 December 2012, 17:45,
RE: the best animals for self sufficiency
The choices of chickens, pigs and goats seem to be among the most popular. It is the way I'm looking with chickens coming first.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 December 2012, 17:49,
the easiest to start with seem to be chickens and rabbits and they dont take up much room either.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 December 2012, 18:18,
And you dont have to get defra involved for chickens
30 December 2012, 18:21,
Musgrove ducks are a good alternative to chickens, as they are very quiet, making only a hissing noise that doesn't alert the surrounding countryside. Survivalblog featured an article on them a while ago.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
30 December 2012, 23:14,
(30 December 2012, 18:18)Metroyeti Wrote: And you dont have to get defra involved for chickens

You can keep up to 50 chickens before you have to apply for a smallholding number.
Failure is NOT an option
31 December 2012, 00:23,
It so depends on what area of ground you have available,... a small place then the likes of chickens or rabbits,... a larger area available, then a cow [ or two ] is a good option.

We have said No to pigs,...and I tend to agree, yet it was always an animal that they kept in Medieval times,... do we need Defra involvement for just one pig or cow?...I know that the movement of animals has to be recorded no matter what number is kept
A major part of survival is invisibility.
31 December 2012, 01:28,
Anything for me that breeds like wildfire and is cheap and easy to keep so for me it would be chickens rabbits and prob a goat or two for the milk
31 December 2012, 09:20,
(31 December 2012, 00:23)Highlander Wrote: It so depends on what area of ground you have available,... a small place then the likes of chickens or rabbits,... a larger area available, then a cow [ or two ] is a good option.

We have said No to pigs,...and I tend to agree, yet it was always an animal that they kept in Medieval times,... do we need Defra involvement for just one pig or cow?...I know that the movement of animals has to be recorded no matter what number is kept

Yes you will need to inform Defra even if you want any type of livestock. Even if they are going to be pets. Its a simple process get in touch with Defra and explain what you will be getting and they will issue a County Parish Holding (CPH) number for the land.
See Defra site for more details.
Failure is NOT an option
31 December 2012, 10:25,
http://www.defra.gov.uk/food-farm/animals/movements/ dosent seem to mention chickens or poultry or rabbits??