• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
washing machine bargin
15 February 2013, 11:13,
RE: washing machine bargin
Heres another one up for sale

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-washi...3a7e5242ad

15 February 2013, 16:05,
We have already tried ours it worked really well,.. I think the key is not to put too much into, and allow it to move around a bit,.. we did a wash of two shirts and a few pants,...and they came out fine,.. very pleased with ours
A major part of survival is invisibility.
21 February 2013, 05:22,
Hand made washing machines should be easy to make. They work on the principle of agitation. It certainly beats beating your clothes on stones by a river bank. I've seen several in Museums and they are usually made of timber. Kenneth Eames.
16 May 2013, 12:49,
(21 February 2013, 05:22)Kenneth Eames Wrote: Hand made washing machines should be easy to make. They work on the principle of agitation. It certainly beats beating your clothes on stones by a river bank.

You're right, Kenneth, but I've also bought one of these things (the Wonder Wash, demonstrated here) and there's more to them than agitation. They work on pressure created by movement in a vacuum (much as a pressure cooker does) and the results are little short of incredible. I've washed stained whites in mine that would have taken half an hour's steady scrubbing in the ordinary way - and they've come out perfect. You need less detergent than in an ordinary washing machine, and they'll even work in cold water - though a wash may then take four minutes instead of one and a quarter.

I already use mine in preference to the ordinary washing machine for small loads, and have easily made back the purchase price in what I've saved in electricity. Post WTSHTF they'll buy me something even more precious, which is TIME. Most survivalist blogs go on about leisure time being a thing of the past in the 'new world', and anything that does routine jobs in less than a tenth of the time has to be good.

Sorry, I sound like an advert. If I had to offer a negative I'd say it's a real pity these things can't 'spin'. At present I'm still using the electric washing machine for a hefty spin before hanging the clothes out to dry, and post WTSHTF I'll probably have them dripping sodden on the line for days.

A mangle, as others have already said. My kingdom for a mangle...
18 May 2013, 01:04,
(16 May 2013, 12:49)Little Lou Wrote: If I had to offer a negative I'd say it's a real pity these things can't 'spin'.

Try attaching a power drill instead of the handle and leave the drain thingy off...Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

18 May 2013, 08:26,
Yeah I tried to buy one of them there Wonder Wash machines but cant find them in the UK.
To Import from the US cost around £180 in total. Far Too much.

Now I know that the vacuum part of that would be nice but needs must
and therefore agitation is going to have to do it.

Check this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BuqvJEVNqU

I'm not going to bolt those tubes on but suggest very thick rubber piping held on
by Araldite on other epoxy resin.

Have fun
18 May 2013, 08:44,
B & Q used to sell a very small plastic roll on the floor CEMENT MIXER, it was a plastic drum with a water tight lid and a couple of agitators inside, loads of campers bought em and used em as washing machines. add detergent , water and clothes, screw on the load and roll about for a few minutes.

When they stopped selling them people started using plain plastic wide mouthed barrels with screw on lids and they just tossed in a few hard rubber dog chew exercise balls in to do the agititating.

18 May 2013, 08:45,
(18 May 2013, 08:26)River Song Wrote: Yeah I tried to buy one of them there Wonder Wash machines but cant find them in the UK.
To Import from the US cost around £180 in total. Far Too much.

True, but I got mine for £30 on ebay. There's a brand new one up at the moment right here.

(And no - it's not me selling it!!)

I've seen four or five of them sell in the last couple of months - one for as high as £66 - which I think is interesting. I'd bet at least half of those bidding are preppers.
18 May 2013, 08:45,
Forgot to mention I'm still looking for a wide mouthed barrel with a water proof lid for my own cache.

18 May 2013, 09:30,
@NorthernRaider

You might like these. I bought one and was very pleased

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/205-LITRE-45-G...3ccb393116