Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog Ultimatum!!!
25 January 2013, 20:33,
RE: Dog Ultimatum!!!
I take it that you will be walking YOUR dog,... dont forget to pick up anything it leaves behind,.. part of good dog ownership

I would strongly suggest a German Shepherd,.. they are a natural guard dog, they become very attached to their owners, and are easily trained, [ although need a firm hand ]

I suggest you dont go for a pup, a pup grows into a terrible teenager, German Shepherd go through a patch called the teenage years,.. which can last up to two years where they will test you to the hilt, and seem to forget all they were taught,... of course they havent, and strong leadership will bring them back out of it............. so to avoid this take a two year old dog

I also suggest you take a rescue dog,.. dont read into that `problems`,.. many rescues are there through no fault of their own

If you want to know any more about the Shepherd I will be very happy to help,.... I am a vollunteer for the GSRS,... German Shepherd Rescue Scotland, and have come across most problems over the years
A major part of survival is invisibility.
25 January 2013, 23:21,
Rotty. Better get used to massive turds though (same with a baby by the way!)
Strong enough to tow / pull a cart or sled. Possibly even a plow if you have 2.

Buy the best food you can get. It's not cheap. £55 for 15kg - lasts 2 or 3 weeks We get the high calorie stuff.
Lots of exercise, but not too much when they're just a pup.
Lots of training.

It was a toss up between a doberman and a rotty for us. I went for the rotty as they're much heavier, you really know when he's got hold of you.
26 January 2013, 00:29,
Training dogs to pull is not that easy, it does take a bit of time, but they will get there in the end because most dogs love to run.

I have trained my three German Shepherds to pull they pull carts with logs, but what they love best is dog scootering, something we do often,... I realise its not quiet prepping, but it gives some idea of how dogs love to pull

What happens at the end of the video is that Sam my lead dog saw six German Tourists and thought it would be nice to go over and say hello,.. thankfull the touriest loved them

In case anyone is wondering,.. No, thats not my house
Video a bit shaky in parts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8QSTcdYc...Fg&index=4
A major part of survival is invisibility.
26 January 2013, 16:17,
look at staffy mutts Smile best dog I've ever had was a staffy mutt and it was the most loyal loving dog I could have asked for, both staffies and alsations are known as being nanny dogs.

but the problem with a lot of purebred dogs is inbreeding.
26 January 2013, 16:21,
pure breds are bloomin' expensive these days, you'd be better off getting something from a rescue centre, healthier and will give you a lot of fun, you'll be doing it a favour giving it a home, dont not put money into a breeders pocket, some of them are no better than breeding farms, if i was getting another dog thats where i'd go.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 January 2013, 16:23,
I would go for a German shepherd easy to train and loyal
26 January 2013, 16:27,
A mongrol allways inherits the best traits from its parents, a pedogree always inherits the genetic defects, like hip dysplacia etc in Alsations and retrievers, or psychological and leg problems in Spaniels, Bulldogs, Boxers etc. I know our local plods stopped using German shepards cos they were all having to be retired easrly with hip and back problems so they went onto the Belgian sub species which is just slightly smaller but much healthier, so they tell me. I prefer two or three small terriers over one big mutt, dont like all my eggs in one puppy.

26 January 2013, 16:28,
(26 January 2013, 16:23)Kevdon Wrote: I would go for a German shepherd easy to train and loyal

depends on the size of your house i'd say, seen someone with an Akita coming out of one of the tiny "starter" homes ("where does your dog sleep- anywhere it likes!"Tongue)
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 January 2013, 16:32,
could always get a Irish wolf horse.....sorry dog Smile wouldn't want to mess with one of those lol
26 January 2013, 16:32,
(26 January 2013, 16:27)NorthernRaider Wrote: A mongrol allways inherits the best traits from its parents, a pedogree always inherits the genetic defects, like hip dysplacia etc in Alsations and retrievers, or psychological and leg problems in Spaniels, Bulldogs, Boxers etc. I know our local plods stopped using German shepards cos they were all having to be retired easrly with hip and back problems so they went onto the Belgian sub species which is just slightly smaller but much healthier, so they tell me. I prefer two or three small terriers over one big mutt, dont like all my eggs in one puppy.

got to agree, big dogs might look "hard" but i'd put my money on a pair of Jack Russell terriers any day!(incidentally where i live is "Jack Russell territory"...Parson Jack Russell lived not far from here).