Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wind Turbines
2 February 2013, 21:08,
RE: Wind Turbines
I look at the 17 turbines near here as a priceless resource for after TSHTF cos it is a windy area where I live and those turbines can supply my communities power needs for years, One only has to throw a few switches at the control cabins to stop them feeding the main grid, so they could be used to only supply a local grid after TSHTF, Each one is 1.5 MW each with an average working life of between 17 to 25 years so if we only used one at a time after TSHTF to provide power locally we should have a decent supplies ( though reliant on the wind) to last for decades.

I also like some of the new 1MW turbines coming out with horizontal axis direct feed alternators, there no bloody great big nacelles full of gearboxes to worry about the new ones are much smaller, need less MTCE and are quite neat.

2 February 2013, 21:19,
Quote:I also like some of the new 1MW turbines coming out with horizontal axis direct feed alternators, there no bloody great big nacelles full of gearboxes to worry about the new ones are much smaller, need less MTCE and are quite neat.

There are a lot of those near us. Agree, very low footprint. Hardly notice them at all.

For an example of community off-grid power, see below:

http://www.isleofeigg.net/eigg_electric.html
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
3 February 2013, 13:11,
(2 February 2013, 21:08)NorthernRaider Wrote: with an average working life of between 17 to 25 years so if we only used one at a time after TSHTF to provide power locally we should have a decent supplies ( though reliant on the wind) to last for decades.

Sadly it doesn't work like that NR. Even when you don't use them they are subject to the winds, water ingress, vermin, mechanical failure, etc. and you can be fairly sure that when the first one fails, many of the replacements will not start up. Someone who knows what they are doing will be able to botch one together for a while but, imo, they will all be dead in 25 years.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 February 2013, 14:33,
So 25 years is a good length of time to get power when the Nimbys are sat in the dark doncha think?