Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highland AL and an experimental Baofeng UV5RC
13 March 2013, 08:45,
RE: Highland AL and an experimental Baofeng UV5RC
I found this out to my cost,.. I am now waiting on what I hope is an extendable antenna that will fit/work,.. it really is hit and miss a bit with add on antenna's for this radio

Thats not to say that the radio is no good,.. for anyone wanting a hand held radio, the UV5Rs are the best I have come across with the antenna provided
A major part of survival is invisibility.
13 March 2013, 10:53,
Highlander,

you're right these are excellent little radios and are fine just with the supplied antennas. Additional antennas are useful if reception is marginal and you know what to buy.

I've found most flexibility is achieved by having BNC converters to both SMA male and SMA female connectors. Then aftermarket antennas are specified with BNC bases. This means that all antennas will connect to all radios. This lesson I learned at high £ cost :-)

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 June 2013, 10:59,
(26 February 2013, 12:14)NorthernRaider Wrote: I'm hoping that AL is going to do a simplified article on the benefits of PMR446 and the frequencies around it based on the UV3 / 4 / 5 family but hes not online so it will come ( eventually) by post on a flash drive that i will post for him. If i had the money i would just buy the very simple but very handy ( and powerful) Intek MT5050 for my wife and kids and I would use the more fiddly UV5RC but the Inteks are double the price of the Uv5s

Catching up on stuff that's been discussed while I was away:

NR makes a good point: A choice between simplicity and Extra capability.

Intek 5050.
  • 100% legal to operate without any radio license (if un-modded)
  • Simple to operate out of the box
  • 8 PMR channels
  • 69 channels at ultra low power on the LPD frequencies*