Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Would Vitamin pills be a good thing to store?
11 February 2013, 23:14,
RE: Would Vitamin pills be a good thing to store?
(11 February 2013, 23:00)Highlander Wrote:
(11 February 2013, 22:40)MaryN Wrote:
(11 February 2013, 22:33)Highlander Wrote: Thanks Mary, that's interesting,..so if we are going to keep vit tabs, buy them but open them

Actually, Highlander, you would be far better trying to get your Vits from natural sources, i.e. food. We are not meant to be pill poppers, and a decent diet will get you everything you need. For those bleak days in winter when vitamins are low on the ground, so to speak, it would be smart to make preserves and syrups for the main Vit needs of winter (Vit C). Sunshine provides the necessary Vit D, without which people used to suffer from rickets.
It's an interesting subject.

I understand that completely, but if something did happen and food didnt get to you,..then its possible that the diet you then have might not be the best it could be,... so vitamins might then be something that would ensure a balanced diet.

We do try to store a variety of food, trying to get things right, but unless you are a nutritional expert, the ordinary person might feel that a daily does would be ok,... `just to be on the safe side`

I can see where you are coming from, Highlander, but understand that the vitamins you need to eat will be in the food you need to eat. Taking pills because you think they will compensate for a shortgage can be dangerous - particularly if you are a little dehydrated or even undernourished. It's the food that the vitamins are in that you need. The human body needs fats, sugar, starches, proteins etc etc. to survive, and if you don't get them you will be a goner - popping a pill won't hack it. So if you are not eating enough to survive, taking vitamin pills won't help you; they may even harm you. If you are eating enough to survive you are probably going to be o.k.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would Vitamin pills be a good thing to store? - by MaryN - 11 February 2013, 23:14