Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realistic Barter Goods
8 February 2013, 20:32,
RE: Realistic Barter Goods
(3 February 2013, 22:17)Prepper1 Wrote: Selco said....Gold was worthless unless you were hoarding it for after....
i understand if you are in the city under the slav siege with nowhere to go with your precious metals, but what about more general or global disorder and with no functioning banking and monetary system?
would silver coin still has some value in this case? i know that lot of elderly people in my country still keep XIV centurys silver coins under their mattresses for rainy day.
8 February 2013, 23:17,
Silver would have any value ascribed to it by the other party involved in the trade/transaction.
If there is a collapse, but a part of the financial system is still up and running (lets say WW3 for example, where its likely banks and normal commerce still exist) then silver coins could easily bag a premium!
If its a total collapse, then it would all depend on the percieved value by the other person.
I think our country could make a call on Gold, like America did in the middle of the last century. But that's unlikely to hit silver...I hope.

For me, I'll trade my silver when I believe the value is too high. Cash out and convert to property.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 February 2013, 21:05,
i meant more like all kind of precious metals and jewelry made of it.
pretty much every previous century silver and gold were highly priced commodity.
converting it to property could immobilize you. what if you have to flee and leave all your possessions you can not carry for long time?
i'm pretty sure there will be lot of marauders in times of crisis willing to steal the precious metals from homes as well as to remove golden teeth from the dead peoples mouths.
i think precious metals and jewelry will be always in high price if there are at least relative freedom of movement of people and goods in any given country.
12 February 2013, 21:28,
Warched a pandemicy show as a kid, dont remember anything about it except men wearing nbc suites looting the dead in a storage/warehouse one man went to steal gold earings and got pricked, serves the vulture right. Taking people teeth ect shows how much we think of each others and how little we have evolved, greed is the downfall of most men
12 February 2013, 22:34, (This post was last modified: 12 February 2013, 22:35 by Prepper1.)
Ok try and look at it like this...
If theres some sort of "normal" life going on then yes gold and silver and gems etc aare of use as you can use them as currency.

If theres no sign of "normal" what use is gold or silver etc?

If you had a chicken would you trade me it for a gold bar?
Or silver?

I've no interest in money post collapse so you can keep your gold or silver and shove it where the sun dont shine...

Now hawever I'd swap food for weapons or clothes, boots etc...

"however"

Not "hawever"....

you csnt eat gold, silver etc... and its only of worth to the man or woman your trying to trade it for goods, they set the price...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
13 February 2013, 15:25,
(12 February 2013, 21:05)ErikEst Wrote: i meant more like all kind of precious metals and jewelry made of it.
pretty much every previous century silver and gold were highly priced commodity.
converting it to property could immobilize you. what if you have to flee and leave all your possessions you can not carry for long time?
i'm pretty sure there will be lot of marauders in times of crisis willing to steal the precious metals from homes as well as to remove golden teeth from the dead peoples mouths.
i think precious metals and jewelry will be always in high price if there are at least relative freedom of movement of people and goods in any given country.

Oh I completely agree!

I'm expecting the collapse to be partial. If WW3 happens, and there's still a banking system and general government after it all, providing all land is not seized (hasn't been previously in recent history) then I'll be sitting pretty as a landlord renting out properties, mortgage free, cash in my pocket, big smile on my face, never needing to work again.

What about a weather catastrophe? Land will not be seized, but basic commerce still continues. Gold and silver are going to increase in value, and so will my purchasing power!

Don't think of PM's as long term assets to hold forever. If you think like that, then you're clearly showing your lack of understanding for money, financial markets, and how to profit while others are screwing up and penniless. I'm expecting to be rid of all my gold by 2020, at the latest. But....I'll have exchanged for assets of greater value, like a farm, or land, or freehold property to rent out (my favoured option).

I think that making a plan so that you can profit from a partial collapse isn't wrong. If it's inevitable, then why not benefit from it? Better to make the most of it than to play the victim.
15 February 2013, 20:46,
(13 February 2013, 15:25)Scythe13 Wrote: Oh I completely agree!
I'm expecting the collapse to be partial. If WW3 happens, and there's still a banking system and general government after it all, providing all land is not seized (hasn't been previously in recent history) then I'll be sitting pretty as a landlord renting out properties, mortgage free, cash in my pocket, big smile on my face, never needing to work again.
What about a weather catastrophe? Land will not be seized, but basic commerce still continues. Gold and silver are going to increase in value, and so will my purchasing power!
Don't think of PM's as long term assets to hold forever. If you think like that, then you're clearly showing your lack of understanding for money, financial markets, and how to profit while others are screwing up and penniless. I'm expecting to be rid of all my gold by 2020, at the latest. But....I'll have exchanged for assets of greater value, like a farm, or land, or freehold property to rent out (my favoured option).
I think that making a plan so that you can profit from a partial collapse isn't wrong. If it's inevitable, then why not benefit from it? Better to make the most of it than to play the victim.

well, i'm trying to be optimistic(realistic?) here.

if something global (climatic or cosmic) happens there is no chance to survival to an individual, because the aftermath of those kind of events lasts for centuries or thousands of years. so no bunker can protect me for so long. then of course, no amount of gold going to buy me a place in the Cheyenne Mountain nuclear bunker!

but, if there are in some terms limited disasters (like global pandemic, global war, economic unrest) when local governments are disabled, but the people are still remembering the high value of the precious metals? and when someone doesn't have nothing to trade but his mothers wedding ring for food?
16 February 2013, 20:34,
places like esk and lidle are gr8 places to buy cheap as hell items that will b worth their weight should shtf. i wouldnt part with my soft wet stone for nothing that wanst peril in a real situation. this means that there would b someone out there that would part with alot more for one. silver n gold mean sod all when the seller cant do anything with it. its just a con to trie and topple the dollar-pound-euro ect. with no money situations (that includes silver n gold just as mush as it includes copper n paper) the only real value will be items, wisdom and ability. i laugh at the ones who have bought as much gold or silver as they can, coz in my mind they have just swapped nato ration packs for pot noodles lol. in a real trade situation, a jar of honey will be worth more than a belt of gold n silver coins.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
17 February 2013, 22:30,
Yep simple as if you can't eat it or use it to get warm or gain enjoyment from it, you will only be able to use it to wedge a door open or a paper weight that's if it is real gold !
18 February 2013, 05:28,
If EVERY civilisation in history has found value in gold and silver....
If EVERY civilisation has used gold or silver (among other things) in trade....
If EVERY civilisation to date, has wanted gold and silver....

Yeah, history does repeat itself. I'm not saying ONLY get PM's, but you could hugely be missing out.