Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you could choose ONE extra item to add to your kit
13 February 2013, 20:02,
RE: If you could choose ONE extra item to add to your kit
Probably Smile
13 February 2013, 21:55,
Its a Thingy that is a tube with a flexy pipe on the bottom you dunk in dirty or salty water and a lever on the side you crank up and down to squeeze the water at high pressure through a microscopic membrain that only lets water molicules through but not salt or pollutants ( I think)

14 February 2013, 16:34,
(13 February 2013, 21:55)NorthernRaider Wrote: Its a Thingy that is a tube with a flexy pipe on the bottom you dunk in dirty or salty water and a lever on the side you crank up and down to squeeze the water at high pressure through a microscopic membrain that only lets water molicules through but not salt or pollutants ( I think)

The hand cranked desalinators are expensive. I looked into them when we first moved to Southampton. If i remember correctly there are only a couple of models that you actually hand crank, as the pressure required to push the water through the filter is huge

Katadyn

and

PUR which appears to use the Katadyn filters anyway.

You could buy a battery powered one, and use your solar set up and battery bank to get the job done.
14 February 2013, 21:11,
(13 February 2013, 21:55)NorthernRaider Wrote: Its a Thingy that is a tube with a flexy pipe on the bottom you dunk in dirty or salty water and a lever on the side you crank up and down to squeeze the water at high pressure through a microscopic membrain that only lets water molicules through but not salt or pollutants ( I think)

Aye, that thingy is the thingy I meant Smile