Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No really, can YOU do that?
22 February 2013, 17:25,
RE: No really, can YOU do that?
Nothing I can give you as a direct reference, but cast your mind back over recent "catastrophes". There is always woefully inadequate response from TPTB, followed a week or so later by a "generous" announcement that the Government has decided to make and emergency fund of £1million or so will be made available to help the unfortunates who were affected
conscius et paratum
22 February 2013, 17:36,
(22 February 2013, 17:25)Digger Wrote: There is always woefully inadequate response from TPTB, followed a week or so later by a "generous" announcement that the Government has decided to make and emergency fund of £1million or so will be made available to help the unfortunates who were affected

sounds about right, if all else fails throw some money at it, typical response from our govt.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 February 2013, 21:28, (This post was last modified: 22 February 2013, 21:31 by MaryN.)
(21 February 2013, 22:57)NorthernRaider Wrote: My garden is growing brown slime, green slime and slugs.

You're not doing it right!

(21 February 2013, 23:23)Megatron Wrote:
(21 February 2013, 21:52)MaryN Wrote: There really are not that many places you can escape to in this country, and if thousands of people are intent on getting away then things could be a mite crowded. I would say we would stay here. We have the facilities to survive, and the long term knowledge (gardening, livestock etc.), so I guess the answer is a hopeful Yes.

Just a thought but thinking about it logically if tshtf I don't really think you'd have to worry about over crowding as most people are per set to stay close to what they see as civilisation.
Even after a major event I can't see people trying to get away from everything they know unless there in immediate danger because they'll still be of the mind set that someone will be coming to help.

Even if some people did decide to leave I think that again it wouldn't matter as they'd have no idea how to survive any sort of situation. I'm just turned 30 and can say with all honesty that most people of my generation and younger have a hard job putting a shelf up or cutting the grass let alone building a shelter or foraging for food.

It's a very pessimistic point of view I know we as a culture have grown too accustomed to having what we want when we want it. I actually think if something big did happen most people would die out of shock and disbelief of the situation.

Just a thought is all Tongue

Interesting reply, Megatron. I must admit it is a bit alarming to me to realise that so many people have lost touch with the basics of life, and for me that is being able to support myself by my own labours. I have been gardening all my life and it takes time and experience to know what to do. Gardens are never instant. I was really shocked when I found out that the young son of an acquaintance thought that eggs came from Tescos. He had never made the connection with chickens! Having said that, I couldn't put a shelf up...
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
22 February 2013, 23:55,
(22 February 2013, 21:28)MaryN Wrote:
(21 February 2013, 22:57)NorthernRaider Wrote: My garden is growing brown slime, green slime and slugs.

I BEG YOUR PARDON MADAM, I'll have you know I grow world record slugs and only the finest slimes !!!! Smile

23 February 2013, 08:44,
(22 February 2013, 23:55)NorthernRaider Wrote:

I BEG YOUR PARDON MADAM, I'll have you know I grow world record slugs and only the finest slimes !!!! Smile

Can't wait to hear your technique!
23 February 2013, 09:26,
(23 February 2013, 08:44)MaryN Wrote:

Later dear lady, we are talking about gardening right now !!! Smile

23 February 2013, 15:04,
(23 February 2013, 09:26)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(23 February 2013, 08:44)MaryN Wrote:

Later dear lady, we are talking about gardening right now !!! Smile

************!
7 March 2013, 20:45,
"Would it be possible to live the lifestyle you want, where you want, at your current age, health, fitness, injuries, family, etc? "

IMHO this is a very important question and we must be honest in our self-analysis.

20 years ago I would literally sleep overnight on the ground beside a stream to secure my spot at the start of trout season. Some years it was about -5 degrees C overnight. Didnt phase me, I loved it and caught some nice fish. Could I do that now? Doubt it.

Another example: me and my daughter go camping every year. Every year I notice I have less energy- thankfully my daughter is older too and now she is a huge asset.

I plan on bugging in as long as possible, and this scenario seems ok. We've been without power for weeks at a time after hurricanes and managed. but there werent people trying to kill us either.

realistically with our small family group i dont think we'll make it long without joining forces with some others. whos going to maintain security while i'm on the lou, sleeping, eating or sick/injured? what are we going to do against a marauding gang of say 5 armed men?

humans have ALWAYS grouped together for mutual safety and I think after SHTF it will be the only way to survive LONG TERM.
7 March 2013, 20:52,
i enjoyed reading your initial post scythe, the point bout capabilities is one of my biggest fears.
i know i am capable of the tech stuff like power gen and alternative energy etc.
and i can pretty much build anything i require.
as for food growing, im totally new to this and if shtf tomorrow id be pretty much in the s with no shovel to dig.
I havent even got first set of crops in the ground yet. (propagators etc.)
I am a fast learner so this dont really worry me too much and since I know a fair bit on water chemistry etc. im sure il master it to a survivable extent.

my concern about capability is this.
i have absolutely no knowledge of defending the things i create or build and will always be susceptible to people wanting it more than me.
its this lack of capability that concerns me most.
I know I am far from capable at defence.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
7 March 2013, 21:04,
Luci-ferson,
that's just what I'm talking about. I can grow food, hunt, trap and am very good at defence, but struggle to build / fix complex systems. together we could play off one anothers strengths.