Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Polly Tunnel
7 March 2013, 21:23, (This post was last modified: 7 March 2013, 21:27 by Luci_ferson.)
RE: Polly Tunnel
a composter inside will generate enough heat to warm it, however it also produces gases,(not the ones you want)
sadly it also produces more moisture.

although its gases will also help heat it.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
7 March 2013, 21:32,
Well moisture isn't a bad thing where growing is concerned, as long as it can be kept from certain places,.. this is why commercial poly tunnels are made of metal of course,...a wooden one has different kinds of problems
A major part of survival is invisibility.
7 March 2013, 21:45,
If you are concerned about excess moisture, particularly if it is dripping onto your plants, I think it is possible to buy a spray that repels water. A bit like the stuff you spray on windscreens. It would help the moisture to just drain down to the lowest point instead of actively dripping. If your cover is domed that would also help.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
7 March 2013, 21:55,
(7 March 2013, 21:45)MaryN Wrote: If you are concerned about excess moisture, particularly if it is dripping onto your plants, I think it is possible to buy a spray that repels water. A bit like the stuff you spray on windscreens. It would help the moisture to just drain down to the lowest point instead of actively dripping. If your cover is domed that would also help.

I agree, I don't think it will be a huge problem,.. I do have a door at each end, so regulating an air flow will sort out most condensation problems anyway
7 March 2013, 21:58,
looking from your building skills, after its built im 100% sure you could solve a condensation problem.try taking the carpet back off, wrapping it in plastic and putting it back on. it should solve that problem.
7 March 2013, 22:01,
Well,.. as the plastic will be tight, if I use the silicon and run two lines down alongside the frame, no drips will reach the carpet anyway,...I will keep an eye on it, and deal with any problem as it arises
7 March 2013, 22:08, (This post was last modified: 7 March 2013, 22:11 by Luci_ferson.)
im sure you will dude, from what ive seen your more than competent

its jot often im jelouse but i wish i had yours rather than the one i had planned, im thinking of changing its plans now lol.

tip , silicone and treated wood dont always adhere for long. no idea about the ronseal though, i suppose it should do cos its more like a varnish than a preserver aint it ?
20 March 2013, 20:04,
Well, we finally had a good sunny day, so Bracken and I set to and put the polythene onto the framework,... the fence was not up properly in this shot.

[Image: _3200037-Copy_zpsc866602e.jpg]

I don't think it would ever be quite as tight as a manufactured tunnel, but it did go on very well, and I am pleased with just how tight it is

[Image: _3200034-Copy_zpsce3290c6.jpg]

27 feet x 11 ft,...should keep me busy

[Image: _3200033-Copy_zps1a4b2268.jpg]

I even cut the hedge down by half, this is the north side [ camera facing south ].....so doesn't effect the sun, but it is lighter now its trimmed

[Image: _3200036-Copy_zpsc99e1840.jpg]

So,.... that's it, project finished
21 March 2013, 10:42,
Looking great HL well done......get sowing son
21 March 2013, 12:30,
nice one pal looks bloody good
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!