Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
do i NEED 2 air rifles ? ? ?
1 March 2013, 23:32,
RE: do i NEED 2 air rifles ? ? ?
(1 March 2013, 23:01)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(1 March 2013, 21:05)Highlander Wrote: I am going to look into buying a simple hunting bow, of the standard type as well, cross bows are good, but are not re-loaded very fast

This is what I am looking at buying to go with the Barnett Banshees

http://www.cbarchery.co.uk/epages/620596...DA-48-0003

It is certainly a good looking bow,... its not easy deciding which to go for, its not as if there are just a couple to choose from
A major part of survival is invisibility.
2 March 2013, 10:17,
Yeah I've also been looking at Hungarian bows.

2 March 2013, 11:37,
(2 March 2013, 10:17)NorthernRaider Wrote: Yeah I've also been looking at Hungarian bows.
Easy now NR, once you get the horsebow bug you are buggered, get that KAYA you was on about in 35-40lb draw weight, and learn to pull it past your ear, then those funny looking limbs look like this oh yes baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZxqtxW1nDg
2 March 2013, 11:51,
Nice I note he was using a piece of horn to hold the string and resting the arrow on the opposite side to the way we do it.

2 March 2013, 12:12,
I'd stick with 2 air rifles and slowly build up other stuff.

The OH might not steal it, but you might need to have someone else use it.

Bolts can wait. You can always make them via homebase and stuff Beardy sells. But 2 air rifles is well worth having.

Imagine this....You shoot your target with a crossbow. You can go and get your bolt back, most the time. So don't worry too much about it. If a bolt breaks, that's okay, odds are you'll be using your air rifle as a primary projectile device anyway, and the crossbow as a backup. So why not hold to your primary and back it up with itself.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 March 2013, 12:18,
About the other half nicking it ..i meant if i sell the gun she may have other plans mate for the dosh.!!...like handbag/shoes or lingerie ??? so i wanted to put money into other prepp stuff other than food etc...a trade kinda thing...still undecided personally but thanks to all who added to this thread .cheers RW
2 March 2013, 12:19,
air rifles will always be our primary weapon but there will be times when we want to shoot quietly..for hunting and defense reasons....most air rifles are NOT silent they make a little bit of noise. and can be heard a long way off if its all silent around..like post shtf.....whereas a bow (croossbow or longbow) are silent..apart from maybe the twang of the bowstring but the arrow/bolt has already been fired by then.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 March 2013, 12:44,
(2 March 2013, 11:51)NorthernRaider Wrote: Nice I note he was using a piece of horn to hold the string and resting the arrow on the opposite side to the way we do it.
Well spotted mon amiBig Grin
yes he's using the Asiatic (sometimes called Mongol)thumb release. You have to shoot the arrow off the other side of the bow to what you normally do when using finger style releases. This is because the string rolls off your thumb the opposite way to what it does when you use fingers, and if you shoot it the same way with a thumb as you do fingers, ie with the arrow on the left hand side of the bow, the arrow will not fly properly. So with a thumb ring the arrow must go on the right hand side of the bow. Using a thumb ring means that you can get a long comfortable draw, drawing back behind your ear, making those heavily recurved horn bows really work. BUT, to learn thumb ring style you need to start on a low weight bow to get you used to using a thumbring, I suggest 35lb as a good weight, you will still get good speed and cast from this weight bow, but it won't be too strong to get into bad habits. I have used a thumbring before and the loose is nice and smooth, but I can't use it with my own bow as it is too strong for me to use comfortably. last time I tried to use it I ended up with blood coming out of my thumb knuckle creaseSad
You have to try and find one that fits comfortably though, because I had to file and cut mine to fit, and to be honest I was never happy with it, so you might have to try a few out. If you are seriouse about that Kaya I would recommend trying it with a thumbring, as this is the way it is meant to be shot, i gaurantee you will have a huge smile, and besides it looks way cool mateBig Grin
2 March 2013, 12:45,
You can get little rubber buffer dofahs that help reduce the twang from bowstrings considerably.

2 March 2013, 12:51,
(2 March 2013, 12:45)NorthernRaider Wrote: You can get little rubber buffer dofahs that help reduce the twang from bowstrings considerably.

Yeah Bowstring silencers, mainly used on recurves and compound bows. Because these bows can sometimes twang, or resonate like a tuning fork, game can "jump the string" bolting when they hear the noise, so by the time your arow gets there the game has moved. They soak up the vibration making the shot quiter. They will rob you of a bit of arrow speed thougth, due to the extra weight on the string, but the pay off is greater if you have a noisy bow. you can make your bow quiter by tuning the string, arrow and shelf/rest though.