Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
do i NEED 2 air rifles ? ? ?
3 March 2013, 12:00,
RE: do i NEED 2 air rifles ? ? ?
i'm sure taking down even a small breed of deer is not do able with an air rifle or even a powerful bow and arrow, and i sure wouldnt want to takle a wild boar with one! better to stick to small game of which there is plenty, put out some snares on game trails too.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 March 2013, 12:13, (This post was last modified: 3 March 2013, 12:17 by Geordie_Rob.)
If you already have the air rifles, is it not better to keep them? If you get a bit of cash, you can always buy a bow/crossbow later. I got one of those 80lb pistol crossbows & 50 6inch bolts for about £30 last year. I'm on the look out for a cheap decent air rifle or 2 myself now.

To echo what other people have said, larger game needs something larger than an air rifle or a small crossbow.
3 March 2013, 12:22,
if your looking for a cheap air rifle try some of the country auctions, possibly Rothbury for you GR Smile ive seen them come up there quite often when i used to go up Smile

have to totally agree with you there though, if you already have the gear keep it, just put aside a couple of extra tins of pellets.
Winter is coming
3 March 2013, 12:31,
Never even heard of country auctions before. You got any more info on these?

I used to have a great rifle but when kids came along she made me get rid of it Sad
3 March 2013, 12:50,
this might be usefull to you Big Grin

http://www.hexhammart.co.uk/Site/index.php/rothbury/
Winter is coming
3 March 2013, 14:22,
Okay...thanks you lot...im keeping the other rifle now , just put the scope back on it last night....will put a few shots thru it this aft . decided to sell a non prepp item of mine for xtra broadheads and 20" bolts. RW
3 March 2013, 18:17,
(3 March 2013, 12:31)Geordie_Rob Wrote: Never even heard of country auctions before. You got any more info on these?

we have weekly country auctions here every tuesday, you'd be surprised what turns up, i bought an entrenching tool for £5 a while back( it was advertised as a spadeBig Grin), got 4 X 25 litre water containers there too for £10, i have seen air rifles there, old storm lanterns and lots of furniture.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 March 2013, 22:52,
I've emailed the contact address on the link provided to ask if they can provide a catalogue of the lots available to see if its worth my time & petrol going there. Fingers crossed something good comes up. Cheers guys.
3 March 2013, 23:02, (This post was last modified: 3 March 2013, 23:03 by Highlander.)
(3 March 2013, 12:00)bigpaul Wrote: i'm sure taking down even a small breed of deer is not do able with an air rifle or even a powerful bow and arrow, and i sure wouldnt want to takle a wild boar with one! better to stick to small game of which there is plenty, put out some snares on game trails too.

You can certainly take a Red Deer with a crossbow

The trick is not to stalk them like you do with a rifle, but to know where they go and ambush,.. deer are very habit forming
A major part of survival is invisibility.
4 March 2013, 10:12,
(3 March 2013, 14:22)RoadWarrior Wrote: Okay...thanks you lot...im keeping the other rifle now , just put the scope back on it last night....will put a few shots thru it this aft . decided to sell a non prepp item of mine for xtra broadheads and 20" bolts. RW

Good choice mate.

I'm sure the bolts could wait until another payday, if you're strapped for cash.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin