Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
blow pipes?
3 March 2013, 19:49,
RE: blow pipes?
I certanly wouldnt want to come across anyone with a blowgun, anything that can fire with such force I wouldnt want to be on the receiving end. Even if its non lethal its going to go in deep, you will be dealing with infection/tetanus.
3 March 2013, 19:54, (This post was last modified: 3 March 2013, 19:55 by Luci_ferson.)
I doubt a person whos half starved to death would be thinking about tetanus.
Im now considering a bow.
The thought of being pierced halfway through will surely still be on their minds.
They dont even need to know im useless at one. (wouldnt want one aiming at me)
I think maybe il sign up for the free begginers archery courses this summer too.

a good well made bow can definately look threatening enough to be a deterrent.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
3 March 2013, 20:00,
(3 March 2013, 19:54)Luci_ferson Wrote: Im now considering a bow.
The thought of being pierced halfway through will surely still be on their minds.

a good well made bow can definately look threatening enough to be a deterrent.

depends what point/head you have on it, TBH some of the points on the arrows i've bought have been only good for practising with, to do any damage i've replaced the points with something a bit sharper!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 March 2013, 20:01, (This post was last modified: 3 March 2013, 20:13 by Luci_ferson.)
by the way good point about the sharp object the blow pipe though.
my mate hit me with enough force to bruise with just a piece of plasticine .
hate to have seen the damage if hed actually used a long needle dart.
he did make a coctail stick atached to plasticine stick in a cardboard box.
but it wasnt with any accuracy and the box was large.
glad that wasnt my bloody leg.
who knows , maybe it would act as a deterrent for some.
it still wouldnt stop the determined.

so as a deterent maybe, as defence i wouldnt rely on it

yep ive seen some pretty crap arrow tips.
but its not too dificult to make something with a lovely barbed edge.
ive seen them made out of bits of roasted bones. lol

i assume the design is to make it so the bone Bits snap off inside if you try to pull it out.
not sure ive only seen them on a docu.

id be relying on the hope i dont come across someone who actually knows much about arrows.
since im garbage with a bow anyway, i can hit a target from 100 metres about 3 times out of 10.
and its still usually outside the scoring range.

that should read 10 metres

the only time ive actually hit a target from 100 metres was with a long bow, and I took nearly all the skin off my wrists, and couldnt move my thumb or nearly a week.
I obviously didnt have another go.

and i think that was more like 30 metres to be honest.
3 March 2013, 20:47,
You can make a small blowpipe using a straw, celotape, and a paper clip.

Break paper clip into thin straight pieces, use tape as fletching, straw is the pipe, and that's it.

One trick, hold pressure in your mouth, then release it all at once. Don't blow! Build pressure then release it!

As SD says, in the eye it hurts, but in school....never a good enough shot!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
3 March 2013, 21:11,
we found a steel pipe with an internal diameter of just smaller than a cigarette filter.
the length 3 to 3.5 ft to be the best.
the method was between a cough and a blow but at same time whilst saying plop
4 March 2013, 11:30,
I have made and used a blowpipe for a number of years and they are excellent fo small animals and Birds, you can easily take down Pigeon, squirrell etc at the right range, 10-15 yds using nothing more than the correct dart, you don't need broadhead darts at all, you just need to be accurate. PVC pipe is less than useless for a blowpipe as in my experience it bends too much thus ruining aiming. B&Q sell electrical steel conduit pipe and that is the one I use. THe longer the blowpipe the more efficient it is, mine is around 7ft. At 10-15 it will put a Kebab skewer dart through a Milk jug, or a melon etc.
The blowing of the dart owes more to technique than brute force as you are looking for an exhalation of breath that pushes the dart all along the tube, not a short puff of breath if you get me. I make the Dart cup out of those take away brochures you get through the door all the time. The ammunition is soo cheap you can make a lot of darts for very little money.
The brick scenario posited by Scythe 13 is interesting, but remember this, you may hit me with that brick, and you might injure/kill me if you hit me in the right place. I will definately kill you if I hit you ANYWHERE with my dart, and I can do that out to fourty yards. the dart doesn't need to penetrate to a vital organ, just break the skin!!
A much underestimated weapon in my view.
4 March 2013, 12:05,
You need a poison on a blowpipe to make it worthwhile. People that use them used poison from frogs to get game.
They are difficult to use. and might be better off with a sling shot.
my dad bought me back one on one of his trips. they are nice to look at.
4 March 2013, 14:43, (This post was last modified: 4 March 2013, 15:02 by Luci_ferson.)
theres many ways to make pretty effective poisons.
sadly most in england wouldnt be instantly lethal, although many would still be lethal.
even nicotine itself in a high dose in the blood streem will kill a man.
but id definately advise against messing with poisons.
its not something you can easily go and test on a man sized mamal.
however.
as Tartar Horde probably knows, there is many tranquilisers that are pretty easy to get your hands on if your determined enough.
hes obviously taken the blow gun seriously enough to have practiced enough to be able to hit a small mammal.

even tranquilisers can be lethal if you dont know what your doing.
so again id strongly suggest against experimenting with them.
tranquilising dosages all have to be acurately calculated according to metabolism of creature and body mass. and some damage the livers of certain creatures.

as for blow gun for hunting and not for defence, yep i can see that working out pretty well.
like other have pointed out , you could kill a squirell or a pidgeon and their both edible.
and the darts aint gonna cost much to repair or replace..
definately makes a lot less noise than a rifle even one with a silencer. (big advantage)
could be time to start practicing with a blow gun again,

as for the brick, id rather have a blow gun. i can throw a snowball from 10 metres away and miss.
4 March 2013, 15:22,
Easier said than done throwing bricks/rocks