Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
compound bows
4 March 2013, 09:47,
RE: compound bows
i was always told the "hand" of a bow is the one you hold the bow in, so if your right handed you need a left hand bow...so now I'M confused!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 March 2013, 10:25,
If you are right handed and more importantly your right eye is dominant then you will order a right handed bow but you will hold the bow in you left hand and pull the string with your right
If you can't strip it down and re build it, you don't own it
4 March 2013, 10:28,
(4 March 2013, 09:47)bigpaul Wrote: i was always told the "hand" of a bow is the one you hold the bow in, so if your right handed you need a left hand bow...so now I'M confused!!

Nup PJ is right a right handed bow is held the the left hand and DRAWN and SIGHTED with the right hand and right eye

4 March 2013, 10:34,
(4 March 2013, 10:28)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(4 March 2013, 09:47)bigpaul Wrote: i was always told the "hand" of a bow is the one you hold the bow in, so if your right handed you need a left hand bow...so now I'M confused!!

Nup PJ is right a right handed bow is held the the left hand and DRAWN and SIGHTED with the right hand and right eye

We had a dude on the beginners course last week who was right eye dominant with his glasses on and left eye dominant with them off

I just shoot with both eyes open
4 March 2013, 10:41,
Odd innit when I use a pin sight on a compound bow I use my right eye, but often when sighting along an arrow instead i use both eyes, and i still miss more than I hit Smile

4 March 2013, 11:11,
Shooting with both eyes open has revolutionised my shooting. When I get it right it is almost like having a telescopic sight on my bow.
4 March 2013, 11:15,
Wish I could instinctvely shoot a bow like those folks on the videos.

4 March 2013, 11:31,
The thing is with archery, there is no substitute for just shooting 1000s of arrows.

Instinctive shooting takes a lot of practice shooting at unknown distances to master. It can take years

I love the recurve at the moment and I am concentrating on becoming really good at that before I try too many other disciplines.

I would like to have a compound later on for hunting practice but it will have to wait
4 March 2013, 12:00,
(4 March 2013, 11:15)NorthernRaider Wrote: Wish I could instinctvely shoot a bow like those folks on the videos.
Here's a few tips for shooting bare bow without any sights or gizmo's. The aiming on a bow without sights can be a bit confusing at first, as you have to get a few things correct about your shooting before you can make any progress in becoming more accurate. You will be essentially judging your impact point, by adjusting the amount of "Gap" betwen your arow point and the target at different distances. To do this accurately the most important thing to get right is your "anchor" point. This is the place you draw your arrow to. You MUST draw to this point every time you shoot an arrow as if you don't, the power of your shot will be different ruining accuracy, as each arrow will fly higher or lower depending if you drew too far, or not enough. Once you have got a consistent draw, draw an arrow and look at the target keeping both eyes open and focussed on the spot to hit, do not look at your arrow when looking at the target, rather see the arrow in your peripheral vision. Get used to doing this as it is the essence of aiming barebow style. You will notice that at closer distances the arrow point looks like it is below the target, and at further distances the arrow will be above the target. There is a range at which your arrow will be directly on the target, this is know as your "point Blank" range. It is a good idea to find this range as soon as possible because once found you can use it as a quick way to judge distance and aiming point.
4 March 2013, 21:59,
Thanks for that advice,.. very helpful
A major part of survival is invisibility.