Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pigeon Catching
26 February 2013, 18:51,
RE: Pigeon Catching
(26 February 2013, 18:44)Metroyeti Wrote: I can see where bp is coming from with them being foul vermin, they are known to carry upto 52 diseases. You see a lot of ferals with missing toes/stumps always asumed it was due to them getting caught in rubbish, turns out its due to them ingesting chemicals/processed food.

http://www.ukbirdcontrol.com/faqs/what-d...om-pigeons
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 February 2013, 19:07,
Sorry BP, 404 problem. Link not working.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 February 2013, 19:13,
sorry about that, dont know why that happened. go to http://www.ukbirdcontrol.com main menu..click on "frequent questions", then go down titles on right and click on "what diseases can be caught from pigeons".
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 February 2013, 19:16, (This post was last modified: 26 February 2013, 19:18 by Scythe13.)
http://www.ukbirdcontrol.com/faqs/what-d...om-pigeons

But that is from bird poo, which isn't something I'd be looking to eat.

Same as there must be a load of diseases you can catch from eating cow poo.

Pigeons can be cooked well and made to taste yummy.

The concept of the video isn't about how to eat them, skin them, or gut them. It's a basic concept of capture for birds of that size.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 February 2013, 19:21,
if you want to catch any bird the best way is wait until they go to roost, then knock them off the perch whilst their sleeping, if that dosent work you can always try rum soaked raisins!!Big Grin
27 February 2013, 01:44,
We had trouble with some pigeons roosting at my job- they are nasty. They carry some teenie tiny red bugs that are quite irritating when they get on your skin because you cant see them. Having said that, I would gladly eat them in a survival situation- easy to get and decent amount of quality meat. Every creature, including humans, carry desease and bacteria that may cause harm. I knew a guy that would catch them commercially(such as grocery stores). Told me he would use large wire cages with a couple small doors cut out. Set it out with some bait in the middle area (rice,seed,cereal,etc). The birds go in to eat, he would slowly walk up and close the doors. Says he would catch em by the dozen.
27 February 2013, 17:18,
Pigeons are a good source of readily available meat, and i would eat a feral pigeon if pushed, but there is a good reason they call them sky rats. Woodies however are simply delish. I make a point in encouraging wood pigeons into my garden with a supply of readily available food, why chase them when you can get them to come to youBig Grin I have no problem harvesting 1-4 a week if I need to.
Now I wonder what starling tastes like mmmm coz there are millions of the little buggers
27 February 2013, 20:44,
Wood pigeon is delicious

Especially when cooked in a 5 star restaurant. The breast I had was massive. Unless that was horse too. Tasted good though, served like steak, red in the middle Big Grin
27 February 2013, 21:45,
we've got a pair of wood pigeons that come and feed in the garden and i know there are more just a few yards away in the woods.
2 March 2013, 20:18,
If you had the time and resources you could catch some and breed them Smile plus if TSHTF big style and the fast food etc wasn't being produced anymore the would have to find alternative food themselves, meaning no more skanky pigeon Smile
Winter is coming