Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long do you need
11 March 2013, 10:50,
RE: How long do you need
(10 March 2013, 23:48)Geordie_Rob Wrote: Does anyone know how long commercially bottled water is good for if stored in a cool dark place?

The water I bought last week is dated November 2014, with proper storage I'd trust it beyond that.
just a number, nothing to see here, move along now.....
11 March 2013, 11:32,
The water you drink has been around for millions of years, filtered regularly through dinosaur bladders and so on. These use by dates make me laugh.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 March 2013, 11:53,
Interesting post. Carefully considering the question, I would say that we are quite well prepared generally. I would like some more food in storage, but I have two garden areas where we grow most of our own produce; water butts everywhere; we have our own septic tank (normal for rural areas round here), so sanitation would not be a problem, and we have chickens and transport (horseback). There is water everywhere in this area in the form of rivers, dykes and canals, so again, not too bad.

Yes, not too bad. It does seem that a number of you are up and coming on the gardening scene, so I intend to bore you all stupid with posts on what to grow, when and how.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
11 March 2013, 12:10,
MaryN
you wont bore me stupid with posts of what to plant and when.
in fact it will save me keep trawling the internet for info. and save me from having to concentrate on it all.
each month post what I should be getting planted and id be highly greatfull Smile
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
11 March 2013, 12:38,
(11 March 2013, 11:32)Skean Dhude Wrote: The water you drink has been around for millions of years, filtered regularly through dinosaur bladders and so on. These use by dates make me laugh.

I didn't mean a use by date. I meant before the plastic breaks down & leaches into it. I don't fancy poisoning my family when I'm trying to save them. Well maybe the wife Smile
11 March 2013, 12:46,
i know im probably being stupid so, im hoping one of you people will point it out.
i havent stockpiled any bottled water at all.
i have some liquids, (cordials, juces, and energy drinks etc.)
my intention is to use the large water butt which is always full. and ive bought filters for it so i can filter the water as I need .
im also in the process of buying another 1000l container, like the ones they use to transport liquids (big plastic thing in a wire cage), which i also intend to use with a filter , only filtering what i need and using the rest for the garden etc.

please point out the hole in my plan because im obviously not seeing something.
Should i still be storing bottled water, and if so why. ( probably the dumbest question youve ever been asked)
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
11 March 2013, 13:35, (This post was last modified: 11 March 2013, 13:35 by Geordie_Rob.)
Bottled water isn't a necessity but my plan is to keep it in reserve. I haven't got a water butt yet but planning on getting at least one. The bottled water will be emergency safe water for when there are no other sources available. Filter & make safe any water source that refills itself 1st (water butts, stream, river etc..) keep the other stuff as just incase.

At least that's my plan
11 March 2013, 13:42,
(11 March 2013, 13:35)Geordie_Rob Wrote: Bottled water isn't a necessity but my plan is to keep it in reserve. I haven't got a water butt yet but planning on getting at least one. The bottled water will be emergency safe water for when there are no other sources available. Filter & make safe any water source that refills itself 1st (water butts, stream, river etc..) keep the other stuff as just incase.

At least that's my plan

you'll need a basic water stock(bottled water) as a "just in case" supply just in case you dont get any warning and the main supply just goes off!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 March 2013, 13:43,
on bang goes the theory last week the looked at plastic water bottle , and showed that food quality plastic never breaks down or leaches into it, plastic bottles can also be used thousands of times as long as they are properly cleaned
11 March 2013, 13:44,
refresh or replace every 6 months and you'll be good to go!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.