Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
neighborhood recon
17 March 2013, 08:58,
RE: neighborhood recon
We're new to our area so still scouting around. Walking the dog is handy excuse to get out and explore.

We found a.prepper who lives on the same road. Wife bought Avon from this little old Canadian woman. Went round to drop the money off and her room is FULL of tinned food! Shame she's feckin crazy - Google arlene Johnson true democracy. She thinks I work for Satanists!!
17 March 2013, 10:58,
everyone else on our estate is too "straight" to be of much use in a SHTF situation, most of the estate is open plan and most of the back gardens are just brats playgrounds, i think apart from us there are only about 4 people who actually grow food in their back gardens, various bicycles about but people dont look after them, just sling them down in the garden so they get rusty but may be useful with a bit of an oiling in an emergency situation. all the neighbours would be a hinderance and get in the way WTSHTF, i think most would b##ger of to relatives anyway, nobody has any food storage and only keep about 3 days worth of food at a maximum.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 March 2013, 23:47,
(17 March 2013, 08:58)BeardyMan Wrote: We're new to our area so still scouting around. Walking the dog is handy excuse to get out and explore.

We found a.prepper who lives on the same road. Wife bought Avon from this little old Canadian woman. Went round to drop the money off and her room is FULL of tinned food! Shame she's feckin crazy - Google arlene Johnson true democracy. She thinks I work for Satanists!!

Thats what i call good reconBig Grin
18 March 2013, 10:20,
(17 March 2013, 08:58)BeardyMan Wrote: We found a.prepper who lives on the same road. Wife bought Avon from this little old Canadian woman. Went round to drop the money off and her room is FULL of tinned food! Shame she's feckin crazy - Google arlene Johnson true democracy. She thinks I work for Satanists!!

why does she think that? have you let your OPSEC slip?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 March 2013, 10:30,
(18 March 2013, 10:20)bigpaul Wrote:
(17 March 2013, 08:58)BeardyMan Wrote: We found a.prepper who lives on the same road. Wife bought Avon from this little old Canadian woman. Went round to drop the money off and her room is FULL of tinned food! Shame she's feckin crazy - Google arlene Johnson true democracy. She thinks I work for Satanists!!

why does she think that? have you let your OPSEC slip?

Nope Big Grin She mentioned the SHA, so I told her I worked there. She thinks that as they're in charge of getting fluoride in the water supply in Southampton that it's run by Satanists. She's definitely crazy though, she sent us emails that she's sent to all of the councillors in Hampshire, I'm surprised she's not been sectioned under the mental health act.
18 March 2013, 11:42,
The posts talking about Dogs are quite interesting from a prepping point of view. I think Dogs could be one of our best tools in any SHTF scenario, a well trained dog no matter how small is an asset in my view, even if for nothing more than an alarm system. I have visited India many times and the way people treat and use dogs can be enlightening for us in the UK. My friend has a beach shack in Goa, and although he does not own any dogs, there are always the same few dogs that hang around the shack, as people give them titbits etc. Now none of these dogs has an owner, they are free as the day they were born, they could quite easily all run off into the vast Western Ghat mountain range and live a feral lifestyle hunting deer etc, but they choose to live alongside humans. These are all feral dogs, and I have never met an Indian who owns a Dog, nor have I ever seen anyone bitten by a feral dog. In my experience dogs will find humans and choose to live alongside them in mutual respect rather than go wild. I believe we should use this to our own benefit in any SHTF scenario. I have noticed regarding Indian dogs that no one ever taught them to "guard" a shack, or a village, but they will do it automatically once the sun sets. I know from experience that it is impossible to enter an indian village at night without being detected by dogs, and being surrounded by them is indeed a bowel moving moment. Yet none of these dogs has an owner, so why should the dogs care? it has to be the mutual unspoken bond that has existed since pre-history between man and dog. From my point of view I don't think dogs will be my biggest concern post event, as I will make sure I have my own dogs and would definately look to get more after TSHTF.
18 March 2013, 11:58,
thats a good summing up TH, after TSHTF i shall be looking to acquire a few dogs for guarding and hunting, i favour terriers and small breeds myself, larger dogs tend to have too many hip and rear end problems and have a very short life span anyway, terrier type dogs can live 16,18 even 20 years where breeds like labradors and such sometimes only live 8-10 years.
18 March 2013, 13:26, (This post was last modified: 18 March 2013, 13:31 by Tartar Horde.)
(18 March 2013, 11:58)bigpaul Wrote: thats a good summing up TH, after TSHTF i shall be looking to acquire a few dogs for guarding and hunting, i favour terriers and small breeds myself, larger dogs tend to have too many hip and rear end problems and have a very short life span anyway, terrier type dogs can live 16,18 even 20 years where breeds like labradors and such sometimes only live 8-10 years.
I agree you can get genetic problems with pedigree breeds I would love to get one of the Indian dogs they look very Dingo like with many of them having different coloured eyes, very lean looking and very fast, they would make great Rabbitters.

(18 March 2013, 13:26)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(18 March 2013, 11:58)bigpaul Wrote: thats a good summing up TH, after TSHTF i shall be looking to acquire a few dogs for guarding and hunting, i favour terriers and small breeds myself, larger dogs tend to have too many hip and rear end problems and have a very short life span anyway, terrier type dogs can live 16,18 even 20 years where breeds like labradors and such sometimes only live 8-10 years.
I agree you can get genetic problems with pedigree breeds I would love to get one of the Indian dogs they look very Dingo like with many of them having different coloured eyes, very lean looking and very fast, they would make great Rabbitters.
However if I could breed my own perfect SHTF Dog it would be a cross between a Doberman male, and a Greyhound FemaleBig Grin
18 March 2013, 14:23,
a Greyhound/Lurcher cross would be a very handy addition to any kennel! and maybe a Spaniel type or a Poodle for retrieving in or near water, a Terrier for ratting and rabbitting, and maybe just 1 or 2 large dogs as outside guard dogs.