Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Last American Man" falls foul of building regs
18 March 2013, 15:17,
RE: "The Last American Man" falls foul of building regs
(18 March 2013, 14:44)Scythe13 Wrote: Why do you think SD is closing threads that are interesting to read, but have nothing to do with prepping? Take for example, the Cyprus 10% deposit to pay for debt thread. That was closed. Why was it closed? Because it was just an interesting story. There was nothing that made it prepper related.

If the Cyprus article was joined with the words "it could become a UK situation and so, I suggest keeping very little in bank accounts and holding more as cash or precious metals" then it becomes prepper related. Until then, it's just an interesting news read.

Well, that thread was closed before anyone could comment on it. It is DEFINITELY prepping related - either loose 10% of your money or all of it. Shutting the thread down before the "story" can be discussed, along with the possible ramifications and to us in the UK (and ways to mitigate against this), is counter productive IMHO.

Just because people can't see (or haven't mentioned) a link to prepping straight away doesn't mean there isn't one. Are we not prepping for all possibilities? That story along could have huge potential impact on us here - we're footing the bill. It could very well be us soon too.....
18 March 2013, 15:22,
(18 March 2013, 15:17)BeardyMan Wrote:
(18 March 2013, 14:44)Scythe13 Wrote: Why do you think SD is closing threads that are interesting to read, but have nothing to do with prepping? Take for example, the Cyprus 10% deposit to pay for debt thread. That was closed. Why was it closed? Because it was just an interesting story. There was nothing that made it prepper related.

If the Cyprus article was joined with the words "it could become a UK situation and so, I suggest keeping very little in bank accounts and holding more as cash or precious metals" then it becomes prepper related. Until then, it's just an interesting news read.

Well, that thread was closed before anyone could comment on it. It is DEFINITELY prepping related - either loose 10% of your money or all of it. Shutting the thread down before the "story" can be discussed, along with the possible ramifications and to us in the UK (and ways to mitigate against this), is counter productive IMHO.

Just because people can't see (or haven't mentioned) a link to prepping straight away doesn't mean there isn't one. Are we not prepping for all possibilities? That story along could have huge potential impact on us here - we're footing the bill. It could very well be us soon too.....

Exactly! i thought this mountain man piece was interesting as come post SHTF were ALL going to have to be more self reliant, self sufficient and close to the land, we may even at some point have to build our own houses/cabins/shacks whatsover when older buildings have passed their usefullness.therefore this make it -in my eyes-"Prepper related"!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 March 2013, 15:27,
(18 March 2013, 15:22)bigpaul Wrote:

Exactly! i thought this mountain man piece was interesting as come post SHTF were ALL going to have to be more self reliant, self sufficient and close to the land, we may even at some point have to build our own houses/cabins/shacks whatsover when older buildings have passed their usefullness.therefore this make it -in my eyes-"Prepper related"!Big Grin

Reading the article it appears that they're just looking for any excuse to get him back on grid - they're effectively making it too expensive for him to continue his current life-style.

If I were him and push came to shove I'd dismantle the buildings and buy or make a yurt.
18 March 2013, 15:29,
or a TEEPEE!!!Big Grin now that really is living closer to the land, and its classed as a tent..no building regs.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 March 2013, 16:01, (This post was last modified: 18 March 2013, 16:02 by Ghost.)
She may seem bonkers but I kind of see where she's coming from. Living off grid Wales
Also lots of links to the left to check out.
A British version of the last American man

"The last British Woman?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxeDE_wvGTE

Ooops, I don't know my left from my Right
Respect existence or expect resistance!
18 March 2013, 16:14,
its not as remote as you think, its on a farm with others living in the same sort of building. i would want a place WELL away from other people, and i wouldnt be on youtube either, this piece was in the DM a week or so ago.
18 March 2013, 16:17,
She's still living off grid though BP and that's more than we are.
I don't care that she's on you tube,(So is the last American male) I take my hat off to her for pursuing her vision.
Respect existence or expect resistance!
18 March 2013, 16:25,
(18 March 2013, 16:17)Ghost Wrote: She's still living off grid though BP and that's more than we are.
I don't care that she's on you tube,(So is the last American male) I take my hat off to her for pursuing her vision.

yeah ok, i give you that! mind you if i had some land i would be doing the same, but i dont and i'm not liable to be with the cost of land these days.
18 March 2013, 16:26,
(18 March 2013, 15:27)BeardyMan Wrote:
(18 March 2013, 15:22)bigpaul Wrote:

Reading the article it appears that they're just looking for any excuse to get him back on grid - they're effectively making it too expensive for him to continue his current life-style.

If I were him and push came to shove I'd dismantle the buildings and buy or make a yurt.

I don't disagree with either of you on this. Infact, I totally agree. But I think what SD is trying to do is stop people posting just articles and have conversation direct towards how unfair one thing is, or how bad immigration is, and stuff like that.....which we're all guilty of, especially me.

I think SD is pushing for a more proactive approach, and let people explain themselves and make stuff prepper related. Just posting about one thing or another isn't prepper related, until comments direct it thus. Which is the problem I think SD is trying to deal with. The Cyprus example, is exactly what I mean, it COULD hugely effect the UK prepper scene, but not handing a relative response to the article in the initial post simply makes it a line for discussion. Which we seem to be fantastic at avoiding haha.

Does that make sense?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 March 2013, 16:47,
The cyprus article was the 2nd one on the same story