Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What set up are you going with?
26 March 2013, 16:08,
RE: What set up are you going with?
(26 March 2013, 16:05)BeardyMan Wrote: It changes continuously really. Always different tools required for different situations. If it were just me I'd be happy with a few knives, folding saw, axe, tarp and hammock, some paracord (cause I don't think the stuff I could make would hold my fat arse off the ground) and a nice metal container to cook in.

Bring the 2 year old and the wife into the mix though and I'll be staying at home until I really have to leave.

when TSHTF BM i think you'd better head in this direction i'm sure we can find you a nice empty house you can use once all the Sheeple start committing suicide!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 March 2013, 16:26,
(26 March 2013, 16:08)bigpaul Wrote: when TSHTF BM i think you'd better head in this direction i'm sure we can find you a nice empty house you can use once all the Sheeple start committing suicide!Big GrinBig Grin

Sounds like a plan. I do fancy a nice little cottage somewhere. I'm going to need a fairly big one though, have to keep my stock somewhere Wink
26 March 2013, 17:43,
(26 March 2013, 16:26)BeardyMan Wrote:
(26 March 2013, 16:08)bigpaul Wrote: when TSHTF BM i think you'd better head in this direction i'm sure we can find you a nice empty house you can use once all the Sheeple start committing suicide!Big GrinBig Grin

Sounds like a plan. I do fancy a nice little cottage somewhere. I'm going to need a fairly big one though, have to keep my stock somewhere Wink

OK, i think by the time TSHTF and takes effect next doors will have passed away, mother and daughter never got any money-at one time they went begging to neighbours for a toilet roll, very little food in the house-they cant cook anyway, granny lives across the road in a bungalow and she's as nutty as a fruit cake, they'll all be long gone by the time you get here so you can have your choice!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 March 2013, 13:00,
Im hoping to bug in, i hope nothing happens this week as my bob is empty and needs repacked and sorted.

With the plan of bugging in I have 2 scaveging/scouting/foraging bags set up. I got them cheap in homebargains for 50p each, had euro 2008 logos on or something daft like that. Main purpose of these bags is there light and each have the contents to help me surivive. Also allow me to camp out if i had to.

contents
1xbinoculars
1xmulti tool
1xknife
1x folding saw
1xmini crowbar/prybar
1x first aid kit, self made
2xground sheets/tarps
1xmetal bottle/flask
1xplastic tub with matches, kindling, and fire and steel
1xfishing kit,I made these last year befor i got into fishing so will have to make another kit for larger fish
5x snares
1xcatapult
1xwork gloves
1 April 2013, 14:25,
I am kind of imagining a empty world to be honest. I would not loot if they were there, I would prefer to help them/get protected by them/work together. The most likely thing to happen is a very oppressive government and a need to escape an unfurling genocide/round up of people. The looting would happen after everyone has left to the camps or whetever. If not, and it is a ntural disaster, I am screwed. We all are unless we have a hefty shelter. But if there is an empty house, I would sure loot it because otherwise it is going to waste.
1 April 2013, 14:44,
(1 April 2013, 14:25)Dojo97 Wrote: I am kind of imagining a empty world to be honest. I would not loot if they were there, I would prefer to help them/get protected by them/work together. The most likely thing to happen is a very oppressive government and a need to escape an unfurling genocide/round up of people. The looting would happen after everyone has left to the camps or whetever. If not, and it is a ntural disaster, I am screwed. We all are unless we have a hefty shelter. But if there is an empty house, I would sure loot it because otherwise it is going to waste.

an empty(ish) world following a large die off would be best for most preppers, none of those annoying Sheeple around whining that theyve got no food but they had a fantastic foreign holiday before the world went crazy. personally i can do without people, so if i was left alone in a big empty space that would suit me fine(imagine I AM LEGEND-without the zombies!)Big Grin
1 April 2013, 18:49, (This post was last modified: 1 April 2013, 18:53 by Mortblanc.)
But our population has treached the point that a "large die off" is not going to leave as much "empty space" as is anticipated.

GB has a population density of 400+ psm.

A die off of 90% will leave 40 psm.

That is still a crowd and probably the population density of most of your rural areas already.

If the "big die off" is restricted to the large cities, as everyone is expecting, then the population of the rural areas will not be too much affected and there will still be plenty of folk to harass you BP.

On top of that a good part of the once urban population will invade your rural haven seeking space to farm and live.

And London is not going anywhere. It has been there for 2,000 years and will be there after the next plague pases. Same for most of your other major cities. They exist for a reason, usually as trade centers.

If they were trade centers in the last TEOTWAWKI, usually refered too as the Dark Ages, why would the next TEOTWAWKI be any different?
2 April 2013, 09:12,
(1 April 2013, 18:49)Mortblanc Wrote: If the "big die off" is restricted to the large cities, as everyone is expecting, then the population of the rural areas will not be too much affected and there will still be plenty of folk to harass you BP.

sorry friend, you obviously know nothing of rural areas and Devon in particular, get away from the coasts and the urban areas and the population is very low, my own town has a population of 1300 that abouts the same as some villages, and i know villages where the population is less than 85, there are plenty of places to hide in.
2 April 2013, 10:20, (This post was last modified: 2 April 2013, 10:22 by Binnie.)
(2 April 2013, 09:12)bigpaul Wrote:
(1 April 2013, 18:49)Mortblanc Wrote: If the "big die off" is restricted to the large cities, as everyone is expecting, then the population of the rural areas will not be too much affected and there will still be plenty of folk to harass you BP.

sorry friend, you obviously know nothing of rural areas and Devon in particular, get away from the coasts and the urban areas and the population is very low, my own town has a population of 1300 that abouts the same as some villages, and i know villages where the population is less than 85, there are plenty of places to hide in.

gotta agree with BP here, if i were to walk a few hours, the population density would be in the low single figures PSM, i could then walk for days and days before it rose to double figures!

i keep seeing mini prybars on peoples kit lists? are they any use? i'm only asking as i cant imagine one single use for them, except opening dried milk tins and the like? (in which case i'd use a flatblade screwdriver on my multitool?)

PS...when i'm talking low single figures PSM, i'm not on about the square mile i'm standing in, but a 5-10 miles radius.
2 April 2013, 11:24,
[quote='Binnie' pid='51946' dateline='13648944)

i keep seeing mini prybars on peoples kit lists? are they any use? i'm only asking as i cant imagine one single use for them, except opening dried milk tins and the like? (in which case i'd use a flatblade screwdriver on my multitool?
[/quote]

prybars of any size would be useful post SHTF for getting into unoccupied/abandoned buildings.....purely in a survival mode of courseAngel