Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling fellow city dwellers
31 March 2013, 08:39, (This post was last modified: 31 March 2013, 08:55 by Scythe13.)
RE: Calling fellow city dwellers
(30 March 2013, 21:46)Metroyeti Wrote: Im quite fortunate I live near a few ponds, wich do get worringly low when its summer. Also live near the tyne and the ocean so getting waters not a major issue, filtering and removing salt is going to be time consuming and means having afire on the go to do it, wich will attract spying eyes.

You could just use a solar still. Will taste a little salty, but you'll have removed enough water for it to be safe to drink in VAST quantities.

I hate to say this, but it needs to be said.

The largest factor for a prepare, living in a city or in the countryside, is attitude. If you have the wrong attitude.....you're going to die badly. If you have a better chance...you still might not make it, but your odds of making it are infinitely better than if you have a bad attitude.

Helplessness is a sign of the wrong kind of survival attitude.

Put me in a city and I'll survive. I'd get me a gun or 3 off license, from some dodgy guys at the pub, and then buy a load of ammo from them and a load of other dodgy people. A load of magazines as well!!! Then I'd kit up on body armour and the alike (VERY easy to get hold of). After that, I'd make sure I was friends with the elements of the area I was worried about. I used to skateboard around parts of Brixton (by the Barclays near the overhead walk across the road), because a friend from school moved there and we met up when he came to visit, so I was down with him quite often, I was not shot or killed. Once I was shot AT, and I was with 'mates' one of which was actually being shot at, and not me. I knew LOADS of people and walked around as safely as was possible to be. Yes, I am white, and believe it or not, was back then as well.

If I was in a city, I'd get myself a load of weapons, and friends around me with a similar mentality, and form a protective group....also known as a gang. All prepper minded, all armed, and all ready to pull the trigger (no point having a gun if you can't shoot with it or are not willing to use it to take the life of another).

After that.....not sure how I'd respond. But I'd rather be well armed and ready to roll. Oddly enough, I'd recommend a similar thing to any country dwellers. Obviously I'm not recommending anyone get any illegal firearms! But I'd get some 'equipment' and a few like minded people, kit up, and get ready to roll and look out for each other.

There's no point sitting by and making posts, saying negative things, and stuff like that, when it's just as easy to get stuff online, buy it, watch it, download it, read it, and all the rest. If you want to learn to make a fire, go buy a flint and steel (£3.00+) from anywhere, amazon, Beardy if he has any (http://www.sids-surplus.co.uk), or a local camping shop, and watch a video online about how to use it.

If you have a bad attitude, or even the wrong attitude, you're putting yourself into a whole world of hurt!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
31 March 2013, 10:14, (This post was last modified: 31 March 2013, 10:19 by bigpaul.)
the main difference between city and country is going to be sheer weight of numbers, unless we get a very large die off !

(30 March 2013, 20:28)Nutmeg Wrote: 170 street gangs. That gem from 12 Aug 2007 Telegraph.
Only 5 and a bit years out of date then.
You probably just googled it sat in your comfy straw chair. Truly wet.
Mobs rule the streets? Dunno how the average Londoner lives from day to day.
By rights we should have all been slaughtered years ago.
Truly truly wet.

try to think outside the box, think POST SHTF not now!! no mains electric, no streetlights, no sewerage, no food in the shops, no fuel, water mains shut down, and all the sheeple going crazy!!! as for London whats the population now? 7 million....imagine 7 million people going crazy, trying to find non perishable food and non polluted water.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 March 2013, 10:25,
S13 got it right.

Even if you don't have the mind to survive for yourself, have you considered dependants who rely on you? Kids, aged parents etc.

I have 2 very young sons who I think are who got me thinking seriously about prepping. They are my initial and remain my greatest reason for prepping. I will therefore put as much effort as I can into getting as ready as I can as quickly as I can. So every spare pound I have goes into getting kit and food towards the times when we will need them.

I hope we have many more years before the shtf situation happens but I cannot bank on that.

As to remaining in the city...no thanks. I intend to leave before the event if possible and want to be as far away from it as possible come that time. Given the choice and the means I would have moved to a remote enough part of the coast last year...

You need to fix your attitude or those you love may pay a price that you would eternally kick yourself for.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
31 March 2013, 13:47,
One of the things about a city is the 90% hype that media print and some less enlightened read and even more stupidly believe.

Take a worse case scenario like an atomic bomb going off.
Something that a terrorist group would carry out without warning.
Chances of survival, slim. With young children, VERY SLIM.
After all who carries a gas mask and full MOPP gear round with them 24/7.
(Yes I do know about MOPP drills)
Besides evacuation plans with a nuke gone pop without warning?
If you survive the bang possible except for the fact that the infrastructure will collapse, roads, rail. etc.
Walking out with fallout coming down? One word, stupid!
30 mins to get under cover if you are lucky.
No cars, trains, subway, escalators, lifts, lights, nothing. (EMP)
Of course your pushbike will work.
All you have to do is keep others from taking it off you.

Bio attack, gas attack, zombies, and ethic invasion don't destroy infrastructure.
Your plans for evacuation even in the countryside without ANY warning?
The same as the rest of us i.e. SH1T.
Losing power, water, and food cause civil disturbance yes but more often than not mass exodus. Proven time and time again with history.

So if you survive the initial disaster (which also includes the long time bio-agents take to work) people should remember that EVERYONE is a possible casualty even the 3000 odd known gang members.
Population of London(ish) 2012 10 million.
With a 90% bio kill rate that leaves just 10 million unaffected.
That assumes that no one leaves.
As for our gang bangers, that's 300 left.
So 300 left to cover 620 square miles.
Odds improving the whole time.

BUT seeing as though you are safe in the countryside and immune from fallout, drifting gas and bio clouds, let alone a couple of million carriers of disease I can see how safe you actually are (not).

I don't know what it is about machismo thinking but it always kills off the little people but doesn't affect bad guys. It also states that men are better at survival than women. Total BS,

You "experts" (including the armchair types) and I can theorize the whole time about bugging out, in, or disappearing into a third dimension but the bottom line is YOU DON'T KNOW, I DON'T KNOW, NO ONE REALLY KNOWS what will happen as IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE CIRCUMSTANCES.

Now can we get back on subject, city survival.
Or do we waste more time wondering who has the bigger balls?

Meg.
31 March 2013, 14:13,
It is true that non one knows what will be the actual SHTF event.
But it is also true that large groups of people (mostly the unprepared, desperate and feral) will make continued life VERY hard for anyone else.
Can you be comfortable with the thought that your local neighbours will come to your door for supplies if word got out that you had food, water etc? Who would you help and who would you turn away?
What about the raptors who decide to go marauding in their searches for sustenance?
You have some good points but I still think city preppers should bug out as soon as they can before the situation becomes too unsafe to do so.
I am in Londonistan and I am all for staying put if possible but know that I must also be able to bug out with my kids if I have to. We do have to be flexible because that may be the only factor that determines whether we live or die. Northern Raider, BP, SDude, S13, LS and others on the fum have taken a lot of time and posted lots of information on her that is proving highly helpful for city preppers like you and myself.
Unless you and your group can take over and successfully hold an area of the city and ensure continued availability of safe water and food, fuel and medical treatment along with shelter. bugging out to another location may be the best thing to do in order to avoid premature death.

With the greatest respect, Nutmeg, I say that you have raised great points but still need to make sure that you can bug out if and when the time comes. I am not an expert at all and bow with gratitude to the wisdom I have gained on here from other members with far more knowledge than me and I am still learning.

And the idea that men can survive better than women is a load of bull. Women probably could do better but far better is a healthy mix of both in a large enough group. Each will bring unique skills and abilities that become force multipliers in favour of the group's survival.

There is still much for me to learn about city prepping so please do continue to bring up your thoughts. I am learning from them as I am sure others are too.
Thank you for them.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
31 March 2013, 15:23,
this thread is going nowhere fast, information is out there and on this forum for those who care to read it, most of it by people who have been prepping for a long time and who have the knowledge and experience.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 March 2013, 16:31,
BP you are now where i was on page one of this thread....90 posts ago what we need to ask is "did we get anywhere"
31 March 2013, 16:34,
(31 March 2013, 16:31)Straight Shooter Wrote: BP you are now where i was on page one of this thread....90 posts ago what we need to ask is "did we get anywhere"

i think you know the answer to that one SS!Big Grin
1 April 2013, 11:53,
re Rangers urban thread

i live in london i think its the greatest city in the world it does have drawbacks and its fair share of problems but is a veritable feast for urban prepping,salvage and survival.
i admit that i dont live in the central core but in one of the leafier outer boroughs but i work all over london and the home counties and have built up a knowledge of potential salvage targets within 3,5 and 10 mile radius
Believe it or not its not all bad living in a city
1 April 2013, 11:59,
i think this thread has had it day.