Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling fellow city dwellers
26 March 2013, 13:05,
RE: Calling fellow city dwellers
We all have our preferred or imposed locations in which we plan to implement survival plans.

Nutmeg's request was Calling Fellow City Dwellers.

Strongest response from non City Dwellers.

So what do City Dwellers with survival plans based on staying in the city advise Nutmeg?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 March 2013, 13:10,
as i city dweller i advise GETTING THE HELL OUT LOL!!!

I used to live on a busy high street. it was panamonuim every saturday night, imagine that but 1000 times worse!

Inner city parks could be a good place to lie low for a night, whilst the rest of the population go nuts, you could wait it out in a park?
26 March 2013, 13:16,
Newcastle is nothing more than a village if you compare it to the likes of london, worked in london last year and I couldnt get used to the amount of people amd size of the place. Whilat I plan on bugging in its always worth having back up plans. Your house might not always be safe or you could be the otherside of town when something happens. Last june we had a storm wich flooded the roads and trains. People were stranded allover the place.
26 March 2013, 13:34,
(26 March 2013, 09:56)Nutmeg Wrote: I am new here but I dont think I am wrong.
I get the idea that all you think that survival in a city is to hard.

How many here live in a big city? There is so much to be found in a city.
Yes it is dangerous at times but to escape to the country would be impossible without crossing really bad parts where guns and knives are used every day. Even the police wont get out of their cars there during the day let alone night time.

Take London. From the center to outside is 20 miles minimum.
No tube, no trains, no buses, no car, and you want to walk out?
You must be joking. Use a bike? You really are joking now.

I would also be unsure how to live in the country.
Except for trips to the coast the countryside seems like open spaces with not much there.
Within a mile of me is all sorts of things. Hospitals, chemists, warehouses, shops. When you look at what I can find, and what you seem to want to eat (roots and berries), unless I cant breath the air, why move.

Most city livers know how to survive.
Street awareness? We call that everyday living.

Perhaps you need a section purely on city survival.
Meg.

Touch of "town mouse vs country mouse" here. I think the dweller in one will tend to see the disadvantages of the other. An experienced country-dweller could show you a multitude of ways to survive and things to eat in just a square mile of "empty space". Similarly, someone unfamiliar with cities will see as a threat the places you see as resources. Horses for courses.

Maybe the ideal strategy is to get familiar and comfortable with where you are, so you can optimise your chances of survival there. This might mean knowing every inch of the terrain, knowing the people (good and bad), building networks and social capital, etc.

Interesting idea about a "city survival" section.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
26 March 2013, 13:42,
There's no such thing as "City Survival". It's just survival. Location doesn't make a difference, you either know what you're doing or not. If you can't cope in a variety of locations then you're not going to be a survivor, you're going to be a victim.

The whole idea of "city dwellers" not being able to cope in the country side is ridiculous - it's got nothing to do with where they live, it's cause they lack the basic common sense and intelligence to work things out. Same with "country bumpkins" in a city. This shit isn't hard, it's common sense, and people who are lacking are going to find themselves in some sticky situations.

I'm sick of these daft fucking excuses people come up with. Can't find food in the countryside? What are you, fucking blind?

Research and practise. Or give up now.
26 March 2013, 13:45, (This post was last modified: 26 March 2013, 14:16 by TheFalcon.)
(26 March 2013, 13:05)Lightspeed Wrote: We all have our preferred or imposed locations in which we plan to implement survival plans.

Nutmeg's request was Calling Fellow City Dwellers.

Strongest response from non City Dwellers.

So what do City Dwellers with survival plans based on staying in the city advise Nutmeg?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

My advice would be to try and meet like minded people in the city
Come up with various plans on wherever you plan to bug in or bug out
Try to find the quickest most safest way out of the city(remember when TSHTF normal laws do not apply)
Personally if a event happened and i bug out im heading to the coast
My situation is far from ideal thats why joined this site in the first place and have learned a hell of a lot from the threads(thank you to everybody on here)
If something were to happen in the very near future i would like to make myself invisible so when people are walking about outside it looks like there is fuckall going on inside

(26 March 2013, 13:42)BeardyMan Wrote: There's no such thing as "City Survival". It's just survival. Location doesn't make a difference, you either know what you're doing or not. If you can't cope in a variety of locations then you're not going to be a survivor, you're going to be a victim.

The whole idea of "city dwellers" not being able to cope in the country side is ridiculous - it's got nothing to do with where they live, it's cause they lack the basic common sense and intelligence to work things out. Same with "country bumpkins" in a city. This shit isn't hard, it's common sense, and people who are lacking are going to find themselves in some sticky situations.

I'm sick of these daft fucking excuses people come up with. Can't find food in the countryside? What are you, fucking blind?

I agree with you 100% BM
Worst case scenario you could fish or forage when the tide goes out its not rocket science
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
26 March 2013, 14:18,
I am sure we would all feel most comfortable in the places we are used to. It's just assessing the potential of any possible threats-to-come that is probably important. I hold my hand up - I'm a country-liver (town living would drive me nuts), and I know how to survive in the countryside. I won't say it is always easy, but the air is fresh, foraging is free and I think the chances of being hit by a wave of crime or disease would be less than if I was a city-dweller. I am sure that city-dwellers have got all sorts of ideas about where to obtain supplies of food or other necessities if things go wrong, but I do feel that with the potential for raiding mobs of looters and such, who would quickly deplete any available supplies, not to mention the distinct possibility of personal harm, then possibly survival in the countryside might be a better option.

This is, you understand, only the view of a country mouse. If I walked through my nearest small town I could see the potential problems even there.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
26 March 2013, 14:36,
(26 March 2013, 13:42)BeardyMan Wrote: There's no such thing as "City Survival". It's just survival. Location doesn't make a difference, you either know what you're doing or not. If you can't cope in a variety of locations then you're not going to be a survivor, you're going to be a victim.

trouble is BM that a lot of city people unless they go the organic route dont seem to have any idea where there food comes from, never mind animals, they dont know that berries grow on bushes and apples grow on trees or what root or what leaf to eat, put them anywhere except a supermarket and they'd starve to death in an instant.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 March 2013, 15:12,
(26 March 2013, 14:36)bigpaul Wrote:

trouble is BM that a lot of city people unless they go the organic route dont seem to have any idea where there food comes from, never mind animals, they dont know that berries grow on bushes and apples grow on trees or what root or what leaf to eat, put them anywhere except a supermarket and they'd starve to death in an instant.

All I can say to that then is "Good" - we've enough idiots and half-wits at the moment. But this discussion (or rant maybe) was about a prepper (?) who wouldn't be able to cope in the "wilderness" of the country. I could understand if we all lived in the middle of the outback or something, but looking out of the window now I could eat 10% of the things I can see (not including the fat people) and there's plenty of wildlife running around to be picked off. There really is no excuse
26 March 2013, 15:17,
(26 March 2013, 15:12)BeardyMan Wrote: All I can say to that then is "Good" - we've enough idiots and half-wits at the moment. But this discussion (or rant maybe) was about a prepper (?) who wouldn't be able to cope in the "wilderness" of the country. I could understand if we all lived in the middle of the outback or something, but looking out of the window now I could eat 10% of the things I can see (not including the fat people) and there's plenty of wildlife running around to be picked off. There really is no excuse

well yes, i agree with you there, but if these fellow "preppers" cannot find food in the middle of the countryside, then do we want them here? bit of a liability-what? better if they stayed in the cities!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.