Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling fellow city dwellers
27 March 2013, 19:03, (This post was last modified: 27 March 2013, 19:18 by Hex.)
RE: Calling fellow city dwellers
(26 March 2013, 21:59)Binnie Wrote:
(26 March 2013, 19:00)BeardyMan Wrote:
Quote:All going wrong and living in a city is not good.
I own a X7 Phenom so can make a mess of anyone and often do. That's why my friends call me Nutmeg. I paintball anything.

Big Grin

I rest my case

Cool

oh no, a paintballer Sad

in an apocalyptic britain, your paint gun won't do you mcuh good, get an airsoft gun instead Cool

Binnie from that ill assume you've never played paintball and know nothing about it. A airsoft gun might cause someone to pause and maybe think twice, it might even kill a pidgeon but a paintball gun can be used with pepperballs, Reballs (thats plastic paintballs that with a little velocity increase can easily break fingers), standard paintballs. Ive been involved with paintball for around 6 years, playing most weekends for a good stretch of that and if i wasnt playing i was working as a marshall. Ive seen grown men have to be walked from a field crying because they have been shot up.
however the 2 main issues with using paintball kit is, paint and air will only last so long, but it would still leave you with something that could look scary enough to give people reason to back off.

now as for the rest of this topic, personally i think cities will be bad places to be once TSHTF. because people will want what you have and being in much closer confines it will be easier for those people to find you and take what they want. in the wilds its not gonna be so easy for them to find you. plus a lot of those bad people who stay in a city will live and die in the city without even trying to venture out, fear will keep them in the place they know.

living in a city will mean you are mostly limited to scavenging, once that stuff is gone (because remember your not the only one who wants or need stuff) your options really slim down.

but this is ofcaurse just my opinion.
Winter is coming
27 March 2013, 20:16,
(27 March 2013, 19:03)Hex Wrote:
(26 March 2013, 21:59)Binnie Wrote:
(26 March 2013, 19:00)BeardyMan Wrote:
Quote:All going wrong and living in a city is not good.
I own a X7 Phenom so can make a mess of anyone and often do. That's why my friends call me Nutmeg. I paintball anything.

Big Grin

I rest my case

Cool

oh no, a paintballer Sad

in an apocalyptic britain, your paint gun won't do you mcuh good, get an airsoft gun instead Cool

Binnie from that ill assume you've never played paintball and know nothing about it. A airsoft gun might cause someone to pause and maybe think twice, it might even kill a pidgeon but a paintball gun can be used with pepperballs, Reballs (thats plastic paintballs that with a little velocity increase can easily break fingers), standard paintballs. Ive been involved with paintball for around 6 years, playing most weekends for a good stretch of that and if i wasnt playing i was working as a marshall. Ive seen grown men have to be walked from a field crying because they have been shot up.
however the 2 main issues with using paintball kit is, paint and air will only last so long, but it would still leave you with something that could look scary enough to give people reason to back off.

now as for the rest of this topic, personally i think cities will be bad places to be once TSHTF. because people will want what you have and being in much closer confines it will be easier for those people to find you and take what they want. in the wilds its not gonna be so easy for them to find you. plus a lot of those bad people who stay in a city will live and die in the city without even trying to venture out, fear will keep them in the place they know.

living in a city will mean you are mostly limited to scavenging, once that stuff is gone (because remember your not the only one who wants or need stuff) your options really slim down.

but this is ofcaurse just my opinion.

Oh i'm more than familiar with paintball markers, but quickly made the switch to airsoft for a little bit more realism (im more of a milsim kinda guy Wink )

as youve pointed out, recharging your marker will be a chore, i could recharge my airsoft guns from abandoned cars, or a solar charger/12v battery combo!

currently in my arsenal i've got an L85/SA80, G36C, M4A1, M1911, MP5k.

all VERY realistic looking gear!

its still on topic though, you don't have to fire it to install some fear into joe bloggs!
27 March 2013, 20:32,
Well for what its worth to anyone, I like what Meg posts, personally I cant fault what she wrote, if she is a city girl, then she will know the city far better than many of us,.. my o/h Bracken was born and brought up not far from the Gorbles in Glasgow, and when I met her, she knew what the city had to offer.

Lets just put the shoe on the other foot for a moment,... you are a country boy who has just bugged out, you think you are safe,... but you are no backwoodsman, and you made the mistake of being seen,... now someone wants what you have.

What are you going to do, run to that wood, climb that hills,.... fight them all off

Meg JUST MIGHT be able to run around that corner and loose them

Its all about knowing your environment, any military person will tell you that, there is no service book to tell you what is the right way or the wrong way,...its knowing your own space,... how many times have we talked about scouting our areas in order to know whats about.

How many street kids were there around during Victorian days, kids with just the clothes on their backs,... they had nothing, but were able to get anything,... they were probably better survivors than any of us
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 March 2013, 21:14, (This post was last modified: 27 March 2013, 21:18 by Tarrel.)
(27 March 2013, 20:32)Highlander Wrote: Well for what its worth to anyone, I like what Meg posts, personally I cant fault what she wrote, if she is a city girl, then she will know the city far better than many of us,.. my o/h Bracken was born and brought up not far from the Gorbles in Glasgow, and when I met her, she knew what the city had to offer.

Lets just put the shoe on the other foot for a moment,... you are a country boy who has just bugged out, you think you are safe,... but you are no backwoodsman, and you made the mistake of being seen,... now someone wants what you have.

What are you going to do, run to that wood, climb that hills,.... fight them all off

Meg JUST MIGHT be able to run around that corner and loose them

Its all about knowing your environment, any military person will tell you that, there is no service book to tell you what is the right way or the wrong way,...its knowing your own space,... how many times have we talked about scouting our areas in order to know whats about.

How many street kids were there around during Victorian days, kids with just the clothes on their backs,... they had nothing, but were able to get anything,... they were probably better survivors than any of us

Same thing applies in some of the darker reaches of Eastern Europe today.

Meg, if you haven't already discovered him, you might be interested in Selco's blog over at http://www.shtfschool.com. He lived through the siege of Sarajevo and has some valuable thoughts and advice on city-based survival in a post-collapse situation. Many people on here respect what he has to say. Definitely a "been there and done it" kind of individual, with the kind of valuable first hand experience that many of us (thankfully) don't have.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
27 March 2013, 22:14,
fair play Binnie, i retract my earlier statment and apologize.

now for all Airsoft does look more realistic i would still rather have paintball gear, a few on target paintballs will do more to deter someone than plastic BB's. plus if your walking round with numerous weapons such as youve mentioned ''L85/SA80, G36C, M4A1, M1911, MP5k'' people are going to be curious as to where you got them from and if you dont look like you know what your doing with it it will raise even more suspicion.

as for airsoft being more realistic, 200rnd mags?
Winter is coming
28 March 2013, 08:13,
apology accepted Wink

i didn't say a carried them all tat the same time Tongue

yeah fair comment, most airsofters use 200-500 round mags depending on the gun, some do use real capacity mags though...

because i play mostly at smaller paintball sites i use the larger mags.

as for knowing what you are doing, i've used the SA80 in real life Wink

My M4 is heavily modified, it can spit out almost 30 rounds per second, it might not do as much damage as some paintball rounds, but the attacker/intruder would have to be pretty determined to go through that amount of pain!
28 March 2013, 09:43,
(28 March 2013, 08:13)Binnie Wrote: My M4 is heavily modified, it can spit out almost 30 rounds per second, it might not do as much damage as some paintball rounds, but the attacker/intruder would have to be pretty determined to go through that amount of pain!

never mind the pain, in a SHTF situation you want to put them down and PERMANENTLY...so they cant come and have a second go, its going to be a kill or be killed situation, if you cant do that with a paintball then you need something a bit more lethal.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 March 2013, 13:27,
Bigpaul.
A question without malice so don't go off on one.
Have you used a modern marker? I ask because it takes a brave person to face a full strike at close range. One of the reasons why we all wear eye protection is about 20% of strikes to an unprotected eye cause severe damage to permanent blindness.
There is a well know disadvantage for those wearing just goggles. A smack anywhere on the neck veins or under the nose is a game stopper for most.
On full auto, hoppers of 100 empty in less than 10 seconds.
You've only got to get lucky with two of those to cost an unprotected person their sight.
Add pepper dust to the mix and even if a marker can't kill you, it'll wreak your day. Don't forget the police use pepper balls in the US to great effect.
Meg.
28 March 2013, 13:58,
(28 March 2013, 13:27)Nutmeg Wrote: Bigpaul.
A question without malice so don't go off on one.
Have you used a modern marker? I ask because it takes a brave person to face a full strike at close range. One of the reasons why we all wear eye protection is about 20% of strikes to an unprotected eye cause severe damage to permanent blindness.
There is a well know disadvantage for those wearing just goggles. A smack anywhere on the neck veins or under the nose is a game stopper for most.
On full auto, hoppers of 100 empty in less than 10 seconds.
You've only got to get lucky with two of those to cost an unprotected person their sight.
Add pepper dust to the mix and even if a marker can't kill you, it'll wreak your day. Don't forget the police use pepper balls in the US to great effect.
Meg.
yes i see your point, but in a SHTF senario if ALL you do is injure them, they will get angry and come back for a second go at you, you need to put them out of the fight-first time and permanently so they dont come back- hence my earlier comment.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 March 2013, 14:27,
You're in trouble if you think an airsoft toy or a paintball gun are going to protect you. I had a tiberius arms T9 and a benn tippman BT16 ironhorse. Toys, that's all they are. Both are better used as a melee weapon, unless you just want to annoy people.

All this talk of pepper balls - you got any now? No, didn't think so...

STOP PRETENDING, YOU'RE GOING TO GET YOURSELF HURT