Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharpening a blade
30 March 2013, 14:48,
RE: Sharpening a blade
ive no idea what its called, but I prefer to sharpen them on black stone that is mounted in a wooden block. and you add a little oil (washing up liquid)
I think its meant to be used for sharpening chisels and things like that.
but I mainly use a simple steel. I only use the stone block for a knife that has totally lost its edge.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
30 March 2013, 14:58,
i think your referring to a wetstone, my grandfather had one for his chisels, he was a cabinet maker, i've got one but its too much faff for me so i use a scythe carborundum stone.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 March 2013, 15:08, (This post was last modified: 30 March 2013, 15:10 by Luci_ferson.)
wetstone, that's the one, I knew someone here would know what they called.
I assume a carborundum stone is similar but better suited to long blades ?

I like the whetstone cos it makes just about any blade as sharp as a razor.

sadly it can take some elbow greese if the blade has lost its edge.
30 March 2013, 15:15,
(30 March 2013, 15:08)Luci_ferson Wrote: wetstone, that's the one, I knew someone here would know what they called.
I assume a carborundum stone is similar but better suited to long blades ?

I like the whetstone cos it makes just about any blade as sharp as a razor.

sadly it can take some elbow greese if the blade has lost its edge.

a carborundum is just the material they are made out of, they come in a variety of shapes and sizes, i like them cos it dosent take a long time to get an edge on my knife unlike some others.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 March 2013, 15:17, (This post was last modified: 30 March 2013, 15:18 by Luci_ferson.)
il have to look into one of those. cos it might get them like a razor, but it don't half take some work with a wetstone.

especially on anything above 6inch
30 March 2013, 15:20,
Look on Ebay, thats where i got my last one, not too expensive either.
30 March 2013, 22:20,
t cup and a mushroom..........
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
30 March 2013, 22:38,
Of course you don't always need an extremely sharp blade,..it depends what you are trying to sharpen,.... a belt knife needs a sharp edge, a Machete or axe doesn't need to be that sharp.

A blade that hits hard will blunt quicker if it has a very fine sharp edge to it, than it would if the blade was just sharp, when in the Malaysian Jungle, we were always told to sharpen but not to over sharpen
A major part of survival is invisibility.
31 March 2013, 09:07,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBXRkMZfIXk
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
31 March 2013, 23:05, (This post was last modified: 31 March 2013, 23:07 by Northumbriman.)
I make knives. The sharpening process is multi layered. Dependent on how dull the blade is I would start out with a standard sharpening stone. This will get a rough edge back onto a dull knife. Next move onto an oil stone. This is another much finer stone and needs to be oiled before use. This will hone the rough edge to something approximating sharp. I generally move then to a fine grained wet and dry emmery paper to really polish the edge in. Final stage is a leather strop. Make one from an old leather belt. The edge should be pretty much razor by then and if not chuck the knife and buy a better one lol!

Oh yeah if you are looking for a decent knife check out my vids on youtube... Northumbrimanknives123
An old scout is full of rescource, that is he can find a way out of any difficulty or discomfort. (Lord Robert Baden Powell)