Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SCURVY-post collapse
2 April 2013, 21:39,
RE: SCURVY-post collapse
Lots of things provide a decent source of Vit C. These include green vegetables, salad vegetables like peppers and cucumbers, and of course soft fruits like strawberries and raspberries. All easily provided from your own garden.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
2 April 2013, 23:22,
(2 April 2013, 20:25)ErikEst Wrote: actually carrots are rich on β-carotene also known as vitamin A.

supposed to make your eyesight better. after all where did you see a rabbit or a donkey wearing spectacles?Smile

most rabbits wont eat carrots, they only like the carrot greens (leaf). still kills the carrots but its not the carrots theyre eating.

I think vitamin A is also good for fighting the winter blues brought on by lack of sunlight. but I could be wrong. my memory is garbage.
its certainly not memory that it improves lol Smile
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
2 April 2013, 23:38,
(2 April 2013, 23:22)Luci_ferson Wrote: I think vitamin A is also good for fighting the winter blues brought on by lack of sunlight. but I could be wrong. my memory is garbage.
its certainly not memory that it improves lol Smile

Thats Vitamin D. can get it from eggs =]
2 April 2013, 23:42,
vitamin D for the blues or for the memory ?
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
3 April 2013, 01:42,
Pine needle tea.

Available almost everywhere.
3 April 2013, 09:49,
(2 April 2013, 23:38)SecretPrepper Wrote: Thats Vitamin D. can get it from eggs =]

Vitamin D........I get mine from the sun, sat out tanning. Shockingly, if you were naked and spent half an hour in the sun that would produce enough vitamin D to last you 6 months!!! And for some reason, everyone's hyping about it. If you're scared about vitamin D, go outside, with short sleeves on, and doing so, once a week, for about 30 minutes a time, will make you all D'd up. If you want more, spend 31 minutes outside. More still....32 minutes, oh you wild vitamin-D addicts. If you go camping, odds are you have plenty of vitamin D already.

As for the vitamin C as BP said, I have to agree with MB. Pine needle tea. It's pretty good if you add some lemon juice. But I'm wild and like vitamin C from lemons AND pine needles. Look at me, living it large haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
3 April 2013, 09:58,
(3 April 2013, 09:49)Scythe13 Wrote:
(2 April 2013, 23:38)SecretPrepper Wrote: Thats Vitamin D. can get it from eggs =]

Vitamin D........I get mine from the sun, sat out tanning. Shockingly, if you were naked and spent half an hour in the sun that would produce enough vitamin D to last you 6 months!!! And for some reason, everyone's hyping about it. If you're scared about vitamin D, go outside, with short sleeves on, and doing so, once a week, for about 30 minutes a time, will make you all D'd up. If you want more, spend 31 minutes outside. More still....32 minutes, oh you wild vitamin-D addicts. If you go camping, odds are you have plenty of vitamin D already.

As for the vitamin C as BP said, I have to agree with MB. Pine needle tea. It's pretty good if you add some lemon juice. But I'm wild and like vitamin C from lemons AND pine needles. Look at me, living it large haha.

PMSL!
I've never actualy tried pine needle tea. I must change that as soon as possible. Just infuse needles in hot water?
Mar sin leat
3 April 2013, 10:00,
(3 April 2013, 09:49)Scythe13 Wrote: Vitamin D........I get mine from the sun, sat out tanning. Shockingly, if you were naked and spent half an hour in the sun that would produce enough vitamin D to last you 6 months!!!

do please be careful all you people who go sunbathing, watch out for skin cancer, slop on the suntan lotion and slap on a hat, i dont tan i just burn so i always cover up.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 April 2013, 10:06, (This post was last modified: 3 April 2013, 10:08 by Scythe13.)
(3 April 2013, 10:00)bigpaul Wrote:
(3 April 2013, 09:49)Scythe13 Wrote: Vitamin D........I get mine from the sun, sat out tanning. Shockingly, if you were naked and spent half an hour in the sun that would produce enough vitamin D to last you 6 months!!!
do please be careful all you people who go sunbathing, watch out for skin cancer, slop on the suntan lotion and slap on a hat, i dont tan i just burn so i always cover up.

Aww BP, you're starting to sound like my mum now mate. I thought you used to be a hardcore biker?

At half an hour in the sun, you shouldn't burn. If you're sunbathing, look at what it the minimum effective dose to cause a melatonin release, and never exceed that. If you do, you'll burn. That burn will stop you out tanning regularly. While the person holding to their minimum effective dose will be able to go out again and again for that time period and enjoy a much better tan.

To be fair, even though I am ripping BP for sounding like an old lady, he does make a fair point and if you are tanning (not possible at the moment without the aid of a sunbed or international holiday) then you should be safe and use suntan lotion.

Remember though, factor 50 is not only sunproof, it's also bullet proof!!! I opt for a 30-35. But like I said before, I'm living it large!!! haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
3 April 2013, 10:26,
i dont "do" sunbathing, i think its wasting time i've got better things to do, and at my age i dont think anyone wants to see me stripping off...apart from the mrs that is!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.