Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaving UK
3 April 2013, 11:45,
RE: Leaving UK
(3 April 2013, 11:40)Luci_ferson Wrote: if they don't believe it, then they've never been for a proper walk in devon.

i think a lot of people who talk of Devon are referring to the holiday resorts, Torbay, Exmouth, Teignmouth, Plymouth and down on into Cornwall, those places are always busy, lots of tourists, i'm talking about really Rural, farming areas, north of Dartmoor, someplaces apart from the Postie and maybe the odd Tractor dont see anyone for weeks!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 April 2013, 11:47,
surely when they go on holiday they don't just stay to one place.
if I go somewhere on holiday I travel round all its local places of interest.
I might never get that chance again.
you learn nothing if you sit on a caravan park.
even around Torbay theres plenty of good places within walking distance if you don't mind a few hills.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
3 April 2013, 11:47,
I would consider it if we had the cash but I'm more than likely to start looking at Scotland if we had the money for either
3 April 2013, 11:49,
Finland or norway. Would want to visit both a few times and explore before settling down anywere.
3 April 2013, 11:50,
Scotland would be my first choice, and devon my second.
the only reason devon is my second is because its warmer so more would make that choice.
3 April 2013, 11:53,
I grow peppers and toms now in East Yorks under cloches and polytunnels but the crop is nowhere gauranteed to be honest. Last year was terrible and all my chillies, toms etc produced very bad harvests for the amount of time expended. Broad beans, parsnips peas n Tatties did well though.
What do you mean Devon is mild BP, you had more snow than the Himalaya's this yearBig Grin
Never really thought of the SW but spent a lot of time down there as a kid places like Perranporth, Mousehole, Bidecombe, mmmmm I might come for a recceBig Grin
3 April 2013, 11:57,
SD method of taking the roofs off houses to grow in the upstairs can be easily adapted to have a plastic roof reinstated.
peppers, chillis and tomatos would grow pretty well in most areas of the country this way.
3 April 2013, 12:36,
Don't under-estimate the importance of water. Many places in Southern Europe will fall foul of encroaching desertification from the south as the climate continues to warm. You can always create shelter for plants, to mitigate against colder growing conditions. Even a large sheet of clear plastic pegged out against a south-facing wall, like a lean-to, will help. But if you don't have water, you're screwed. I'd look at somewhere where I don't have to worry too much about irrigation, and where I could comfortably harvest enough rainwater for my personal needs.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
3 April 2013, 12:44, (This post was last modified: 3 April 2013, 12:48 by bigpaul.)
(3 April 2013, 11:53)Tartar Horde Wrote: What do you mean Devon is mild BP, you had more snow than the Himalaya's this yearBig Grin
Never really thought of the SW but spent a lot of time down there as a kid places like Perranporth, Mousehole, Bidecombe, mmmmm I might come for a recceBig Grin

my area had NO snow this year..Bidecombe? i assume you mean Bideford! let me know when your coming down and i'll show you places you'd never have thought of!

thats Devon i'll show you around, not Cornwall-there all "furriners"-funny lot west of the Tamar!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 April 2013, 12:49, (This post was last modified: 3 April 2013, 12:52 by Luci_ferson.)
its actually surprising how many ruined forts there is in devon. and theyre all surrounded by prime farm land.
if its been an ideal place for a fort before, its obviously the ideal place for another if the future progresses in that direction.

im one of those borring people that visit ruins even if theres nothing actually left there.
the geography is still important.

as is the history of how it became to be ruined.
some ruined forts were obviously not good enough lol.