Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike wheel bow
5 April 2013, 09:30,
RE: Bike wheel bow
you could look at making a survival "bundle" bow (again i think there are videos on youtube), something you can use while you are sourcing your wood and seasoning it for your bow.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 April 2013, 09:30,
(5 April 2013, 09:25)Luci_ferson Wrote: thinking about it logically , it would make more sense for me to look into bow making and learn something about the traditional woods used.
one day il need to repair one or make another. if im in the middle of nowhere it would be hard to do without knowing where to start.
I imagine if you don't get the right wood your wasting your time and efforts as it wouldn't last long or wouldn't shoot far.
I can still build a modern thing for fun, but traditional ones will be much easier to maintain I think.

check out this site mate, http://www.primitiveways.com/

specifically the section on primitive tools and projectiles, i've found a hell of alot of useful information there Smile
5 April 2013, 16:19,
At one point in time one of my neighbors was executive editor for Primitive Archer Magazine. His name was Don Edds. a fantastic and skilled bowyer who got my sone started on bow making.

One of his favorite sayings was "No matter how you make it or what you make if of its just a stick with a string on it".

To imphisize his point he would often shoot a bow made from his favorite elm tree limb with a boot lace for a string. He did quite well with it!

This was to prove his point, since he was a master bow maker and had many better devices at his disposal.

My point is that one should have the ability to quickly assemble a primitive bow and arrows that would be usable while a better device is being assembled. That better bow would suffice until one could properly age wood and shape a really good bow.

Doi not let your lack of perfection stop you from assembling a quick bow that will do the job.

Knowing how to assemble the catapault from found materials is also good, but the bow can be put togetherer from almost any green wood and arrows made from almost any dowel or stout reeds available.

Do not roam about without a bow while looking for the materials to make a perfect bow.
5 April 2013, 16:26,
pretty good point.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
5 April 2013, 16:26,
In my area at one time we had no pound pull requirement for bows used in the hunting field.

The standard was that the bow must be capable of launching an arrow with a 125 gn broadhead for 100 yards.

That was considered adequite for hunting deer, which around here go around 150 pounds on the hoof.

I have found it an adequite expectation, and a primitive stick and string bow of that capability can be made in just a few minutes.
5 April 2013, 16:28,
Yup its better to have a bow made of inferior materials, than to not have a bow at all.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
6 April 2013, 01:09,
if you think about this is an idea that can be applied across all of prepping and survival!

"make do with whatever you have until you can either fashion or find something better" ....this goes for weaponry, hunting equipment, sleeping bags, clothes, well basically anything i can think of!
6 April 2013, 13:03,
think i might have a go at making one of these next week Big Grin
Winter is coming