Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 Solar Flare?
6 April 2013, 10:20,
RE: 2013 Solar Flare?
i'm not really worrying about fuel too much, i'll be keeping a small stash for "scouting" purposes as TSHTF but it wont take long for shops to empty as people panic, roads will be grid locked or blocked so i wont need fuel as i wont be going anywhere, stay inside, keep my head down and ride out the mayhem. if we bug out it WONT be by road but across country, travelling early morning and late evening until we get to our BOL.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 April 2013, 10:24,
I don't own anything that runs on petrol .
all my tools are hand tools, and only vehicle I plan on having is a solar powered disability cart. for lugging crap around. and I probably wont have that if I don't get it built in time.
its not high up my list of things to do.
infact its pretty much near the bottom.
I could always build one after tshtf and I wouldn't have to buy the parts.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
6 April 2013, 10:29,
we were talking about this just this morning whilst walking the dog, OH asked what about a golf buggy-plenty of golf clubs around here- and a pony, strip out all the dead battery and the wiring and stuff and get the pony to pull it?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 April 2013, 10:33, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2013, 10:34 by Luci_ferson.)
my plan is to take the chair off a disability cart. and make a roof . mount a solar panel to the roof that I can titl and angle. then when its not in use as a donkey it sits there and charges itself up

once I get where I am going its nothing but a solar panelled power source that I can use for other things.
the power from the wheels turning can be harnessed for allsorts.
and all the power is free.

my son will control it so that I have my hands free to cary a weapon or two.
6 April 2013, 10:36,
sounds good, but i prefer the 4 legged type of donkey!!Tongue
6 April 2013, 10:38,
me too , you can eat that if it refuses to carry the load.
6 April 2013, 10:44,
(6 April 2013, 10:38)Luci_ferson Wrote: me too , you can eat that if it refuses to carry the load.

yep, that too.i think its called food on the hoof!Big Grin
6 April 2013, 17:23,
If you look over a fairly lengthy time-horizon, major solar flares are not unusual and have been happening since forever. What's changed is us. We've become far more dependent on sensitive electronics for communications, financial transactions, monitoring and control, etc.

The Carrington Event in the 1850's was the last really big one, and the first to have a demonstrable effect of human-created technology. It fried the early telegraph system that was in place at that time. Previous events would have gone largely un-noticed, apart from, perhaps, dramatic Aurora displays. The next one, AFAIAA, is likely to have a much bigger impact.

As far as the grid is concerned, apparently we are far more resilient here than say, the US, due to the layout of our grid. If a major transformer is blown out here, it won't affect everything downstream of it because of redundancies in the inter-connectors. Anyone else heard this, or have a different view?
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
6 April 2013, 17:26,
wont it blow out ALL the transformers in a given area??
6 April 2013, 18:05, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2013, 18:06 by Luci_ferson.)
its possible but not guaranteed.
since the last incident in 2000 and whatever a lot of transformers have had shields put round them.
it probably wont do much good .
but no one really knows.
I think Tptb prep similar to us.
" if theres nothing they can do about it, don't prep for it , just be ready to deal with the aftermath"

you may not be able to prep for an event. but you can prep for the aftermath of it.