Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
CALLING ALL NEWBIES and WANNABIES
3 May 2013, 17:06,
RE: CALLING ALL NEWBIES and WANNABIES
(3 May 2013, 16:49)bigpaul Wrote: off the shelf creams wont last long post SHTF, a better prep would be to learn how to make them yourself from natural ingridients.

Thanks! Hadn't thought of that. Damn - add it to the ever-growing 'to-do' listSmile

Probably a good idea to start with a supply of the generics and by the time they're consumed/unusable, home manufacture will have had a chance to catch up - I hope...

3 May 2013, 17:13, (This post was last modified: 3 May 2013, 17:18 by bigpaul.)
(3 May 2013, 17:06)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(3 May 2013, 16:49)bigpaul Wrote: off the shelf creams wont last long post SHTF, a better prep would be to learn how to make them yourself from natural ingridients.

Thanks! Hadn't thought of that. Damn - add it to the ever-growing 'to-do' listSmile

Probably a good idea to start with a supply of the generics and by the time they're consumed/unusable, home manufacture will have had a chance to catch up - I hope...

yep (as Punch would say)" thats the way to do it"Big GrinBig Grin

eventually everything will run out-depending on the SHTF event and how many people survived it will define the time scale-so at some point we-or the people that come after us more likely-will have to learn to either make it(whatever the thing is) themselves or do without.

the most important prep is KNOWLEDGE.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 May 2013, 18:11,
...and each new bit of knowledge teaches how much more I don't know! Big Grin

3 May 2013, 19:19,
(2 May 2013, 23:51)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Well, it's been a week - just a week and I had to go and check my calendar to be sure. So much happening, so much information, so much change...

Welcome to that "overwhelmed feeling"! Don't worry to much about the mechanism by which society fails, but rather what you can do to stockpile for any emergency. You and your family have to drink water, have to eat, have to keep warm and sheltered. Those are the basics. Leave the .50 cal. sniper rifles to the cowboys!

Oh, FWIW, honey on a wound works as well as sugar. If you're dealing with a slow-healing bedsore or leg ulcer, provadine-iodine solution mixed into a paste with granulated suger is effective to promote healing. Amazing what us old paramedics remember after all these years... Tongue
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
3 May 2013, 19:35,
...and that old Sergeant-Major's can still learn! Big Grin

3 May 2013, 20:14,
Post SHTF any injury or ailment will have the potential to become a serious problem, even simple sore throat contracted under stressful conditions can be quite disabling. Medications always have a use-by date, and many of those dates are finite. After such date the efficacy of the medications decline. There are a lot of herbal remedies that can take up the slack - sore throats can be treated by herbal drinks (sage, hyssop etc); stomach upsets by peppermint drinks etc. etc., but to be honest any ailments that would rank as serious could have a large die-off, and that will be a problem. Infections will also become a serious situation - and we may have to resort to old fashioned treatments. With the overuse of antibiotics for anything from minor sniffles, it may be worth retreating to home remedies (some of them do work remarkably well).
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
4 May 2013, 10:00,
all medicines started with a natural/herbal base,that was ok for medieval people, but that was no good as the pharmaceutical industry couldnt make money from that, so they resorted to chemical means, most medicines have an oil base to them. as has been stated medicines have been over prescribed and overused and so lack effectiveness.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 May 2013, 11:54,
It's frightening just how manipulative big business is these days - anything for a profit and to hell with the poor old public.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
4 May 2013, 13:02,
(4 May 2013, 11:54)MaryN Wrote: It's frightening just how manipulative big business is these days - anything for a profit and to hell with the poor old public.

yeah- Monosanto and GM spring to mind!
8 May 2013, 08:27,
(3 May 2013, 19:35)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: ...and that old Sergeant-Major's can still learn! Big Grin

Hi G.G. I think that if you break things down a little and take things step by step it wont be so overwhelming. I could write a list as long as my arm on all things that could go wrong with the body. Simplify it, start withh the head... Lice, research what treatments, either homemade or proprietary remedies, tools such as nit combs. Then headaches, earaches, eye infections, nasal problems, cold sores, dentristry, basically working from the head down to the toes. There is a very informative series on youtube by the Patriot Nurse. I would be lost without Survival UK as I;m finding out things all the time, sure we all have the basic skills and knowledge and are ever learning from other people on here, it just reaffirms that you need to have plan A, B, and C, research home remedies as well as over the counter products. The most common ailment will be skin breakdown due to yeast infections and poor hygeine and probably headlice. This would probably happen as we start rationing water.