Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best survival book to own
28 April 2013, 08:38,
RE: best survival book to own
SAS handbook, "Food for Free", or anything by John Seymour.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 April 2013, 16:59,
Everyones situation is different but the one book that remains consistent across all scenarios is a First Aid book.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
28 April 2013, 20:52,
(28 April 2013, 16:59)Skean Dhude Wrote: Everyones situation is different but the one book that remains consistent across all scenarios is a First Aid book.

Nice sensible post
A major part of survival is invisibility.
28 April 2013, 22:17,
(27 April 2013, 12:44)Highlander Wrote:
(27 April 2013, 12:15)Mooski88 Wrote:
(27 April 2013, 09:13)Highlander Wrote:
(27 April 2013, 05:29)Mooski88 Wrote: I have in my bug out bag is the SAS survival handbook, it's small (palm sized)

Which one is that, there seems to be a few, and none give their size?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAS-Survival-Gui...ival+guide

That should be it. The palm size one has the white cover.

Thank you,..I have just ordered it

I've got the small Collins Gem version aswell as the full size version. As stated above, fits nicely into any bag. Just put it in a ziplock bag 1st.
25 September 2013, 01:20, (This post was last modified: 25 September 2013, 01:26 by CharlesHarris.)
"Six Ways and Twelve Ways Out" by George Jasper of the US Rescue and Special Operations Group. Google USRSOG.org for the link. I will post more complete info when I get back to my computer. Pecking this on my Android.

“Six Ways In, Twelve Ways Out” http://usrsog.org/manu.htm This basic skills manual by George Jasper is a compilation of training material that U.S. RSOG cadre uses to train military personnel during the Survival and Evasion course. The Commander of U.S. RSOG has added brief text that applies to the material about cadre experiences in the field. There are over 185 pages of text and simple to follow illustrations. The manual is $15.00 postage paid and all proceeds from the sale of this manual go to the training budget of U.S. RSOG personnel. Not available through Amazon, except for rare used copies which typically cost more than list price. Send $15.00 check or money order to:

U.S. RSOG
4600 N. Hardesty
Kansas City MO 64117

“Survivalist Family” will show you how to ensure you and your loved ones come through to the other side of what waits. Written by Joe Fox of Viking Services LLC and vikingpreparedness.com. Joe has been living the preparedness lifestyle since he was a child, and now teaches men, women and children all over the country to prepare and survive. A former Special Forces officer, USRSOG Cadre and SERE instructor, Joe will impart knowledge you just cannot get anywhere else. ISBN: 978-1-935018-25-4 Price: $19.95 http://drupal.vikingpreparedness.com/node/48
http://www.amazon.com/Survivalist-Family...253&sr=1-1

10 of 10 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for the new prepper, May 21, 2010
By Rich (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews This review is from: Survivalist Family Prepared Americans for a Strong America (Paperback) This is an incredibly easy-to-follow book, complete with lists and priorities. It emphasizes doing instead of buying and uses real life examples to explain why many tasks are emphasized over others. At 195 pages it's not difficult to read but it won't provide earth-shattering secrets to make you into Rambo overnight. Instead it focuses on basics that most of us forget because we're too busy whacking at the trees to see the forest. I have a good library and this is the book that everyone should start with. If you are already an experienced prepper then you should still buy two copies of the book. One to make sure you've covered the basics, and the other to give to your friends who still think the government will save them during the next natural disaster.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
25 September 2013, 08:57, (This post was last modified: 25 September 2013, 08:59 by Scythe13.)
I think this largely depends on your starting skill set.

If you are able to make sufficient shelters and fire, but then know about boiling water, I'd go with Foraging. Brilliant book kept in my BOB.

For Bushcraft, I'd say Ray Mears has an awesome big thick book. It's heavy, but you could always buy 2 copies, then cut off the parts that you'll need from one book, then shelf the other.

If you're a skilled medic, I'd opt for the Ray Mears stuff.

Personally, for a total beginner, I'd go with a North Western based survival guide, like Survival Advantage. Brilliant book!!!

Should be more specific, North Western Europe based guide for UK survival.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 September 2013, 11:35,
The Book of Camping & Woodcraft
25 September 2013, 12:47,
Survival-Advantage-Techniques-North-West-Environment

Put that into Amazon and you'll find the book I'm on about. Truly stunning.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 September 2013, 12:58,
Bushcraft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival