Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scenario.
1 May 2013, 08:40,
RE: scenario.
(30 April 2013, 20:28)MaryN Wrote: I have no intention of kicking the bucket if things go horribly wrong. I shall be organising the neighbours into working parties and sorting out who does what and where. By this time I shall be in a right bloody mood so it would probably be wise to do as I say.

Gardens will be organised; chickens sternly instructed to get on with it, and humans will be sorted into work parties.

Take no prisoners!
i like it! you tell em Mary!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 May 2013, 16:36,
(30 April 2013, 11:10)bigpaul Wrote: i'm quite surprised at how many people say they will be dead within the time frame....for a minute there i thought i was back on UKP!Big GrinBig Grin

It is not a fatalistic view, it is accepting reality in each individual situation.

Many of the people here are on long term life sustain medications, and no, there are no "natural herbal remedies" that will take their place.

"Back in the day" of preindustrial society, right up to 1950, the life expectancy was 56. Post SHTF life expectancy will instantly revert to that number, or perhaps lower.

That "first heart attack" that men have in their late 40s early 50s that now gets angioplasty and a couple of pills for the rest of your life will kill unmediated victims.

Women, without modern medicine and birth control, and often losing the "control over their choices" they now have, will revert to more births per lifetime, increasing the chance of complications, and will revert to 1/10 dying in childbirth. In my area 1/4 of the births are C-section!

The 10%-15% of the population that are diabetic will die in the first year. Same for the glutin intolerant, and those allergic to everything, and anyone that would have/should have died from whatever ails them. And oddly enough, many of the "superfit" will die due to having no body fat reserves to draw on in hard times.

And no one can predetermine if they will be the lucky ones or not.

In my own case, I had a heart attack 10 years ago. I have been on blood pressure meds for that entire time. Without them I am in severe and incapacitating pain 24 hours after taking the last pill. Within days of going off the meds I will have another heart attack. It is as simple and realistic as that. I have about a year supply of meds, so that is my life expectancy after any TEOTWAWKI event.

No fatalism, no giving up, simply accepting the cards that have been dealt and being thankful for the past ten years that I would not have had in another point in human history.
1 May 2013, 16:50,
i dont know what you say to that! i thought i was pretty unfit myself but compared to what you have just written i'm very well off, i am on blood pressure tablets but cos i've just lost two and a half stone its down to normal levels and with a physical lifestyle post SHTF that will sort that out, apart from that i'm ok, was on painkillers 3 a day thats down to 1 a day and i'm only taking that just in case-i think i'll knock that one on the head too!i'm reasonably fit..i dont run-flat feet but i go cycling and i take the dog out for long walks, so compared to some i'm very well off i suppose.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 May 2013, 21:07,
I am type 2 plus bp tabs ...my father died hart attack at 54 so that's where my 18 months came from , I am now loosing weight , gave up the booze pretty much and eating right, loads of veg...(that's why I bang on so much about growing your own ) so I may extend my 18 months BP you never know...I have lost 4 stone + in the last 3 years
but I want to loose about another 2 stone before the ladies start ripping my shirts off with lust and desire ....I don't think
1 May 2013, 21:11,
It is not really a case of being "fit" or "unfit", it is simply genetics and the aging process with life extended by the use of cheap and efficient medications. A blood pressure pill and a blood thinner, total cost $12 per month. Problem is tptb will not let me accumulate an unlimited supply. My life span is artificially controlled by how much medication I am allowed to keep on hand.

Needless to say, the first place I will loot SHTF is the local drugstore, scooping up all the Toporol, Plavix and aspirin I can find. Those are not the meds most looters would be looking for and I am sure I will find a supply of what I need in the rubble of the first or second store I visit.

At age 63 I am actually more "fit" than many in my area in my age group.

However, if you are considering zero need for meds due to the active lifestyle after SHTF you must also factor in the stresses of that life which will be more than we know today. If you are over 56 you are already on borrowed time in a zero medical access world.

And if you have been in need of pain medication on a regular basis now, just imagine what a day of wood splitting, log hauling or tilling the garden with a spade will do to you. All the alcohol, opium, cocaine, laudanum and other over the counter painkillers of past eras were used largely due to the abuse of the body people suffered in those "good old days".
1 May 2013, 21:20,
(1 May 2013, 21:07)Straight Shooter Wrote: I am type 2 plus bp tabs ...my father died hart attack at 54 so that's where my 18 months came from , I am now loosing weight , gave up the booze pretty much and eating right, loads of veg...(that's why I bang on so much about growing your own ) so I may extend my 18 months BP you never know...I have lost 4 stone + in the last 3 years
but I want to loose about another 2 stone before the ladies start ripping my shirts off with lust and desire ....I don't think

Funny, S, about the shirt and lust and desire, I mean! In your dreams?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
1 May 2013, 21:30,
Bugger.... mary.... you've sussed me out
1 May 2013, 21:32,
(1 May 2013, 21:30)Straight Shooter Wrote: Bugger.... mary.... you've sussed me out

Nice try!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
2 May 2013, 08:12,
(1 May 2013, 21:11)Mortblanc Wrote: It is not really a case of being "fit" or "unfit", it is simply genetics and the aging process with life extended by the use of cheap and efficient medications. A blood pressure pill and a blood thinner, total cost $12 per month. Problem is tptb will not let me accumulate an unlimited supply. My life span is artificially controlled by how much medication I am allowed to keep on hand.

Needless to say, the first place I will loot SHTF is the local drugstore, scooping up all the Toporol, Plavix and aspirin I can find. Those are not the meds most looters would be looking for and I am sure I will find a supply of what I need in the rubble of the first or second store I visit.

At age 63 I am actually more "fit" than many in my area in my age group.

However, if you are considering zero need for meds due to the active lifestyle after SHTF you must also factor in the stresses of that life which will be more than we know today. If you are over 56 you are already on borrowed time in a zero medical access world.

And if you have been in need of pain medication on a regular basis now, just imagine what a day of wood splitting, log hauling or tilling the garden with a spade will do to you. All the alcohol, opium, cocaine, laudanum and other over the counter painkillers of past eras were used largely due to the abuse of the body people suffered in those "good old days".
i have a friend, another prepper, who talks very much the same, "oh we wont survive-i'm doing it for the next generations"...well sod that, i intend to survive, i'm now 65 and i'm pretty healthy and fit compared to most my age and younger!
2 May 2013, 18:27,
6 days, so that's next Wednesday, probably doing a bit of gardening, and getting some firewood.

6 months, November, hmmm, hunkered in, winter stores in, fixing stuff in workshop.

6 years, hmm- hopefully lab, forge and workshop still going bartering for gaps in stock for expertise, if anybody comes my way that is.
Sodomi Non Sapiens.