Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
have you ever ate !!
6 May 2013, 16:27,
RE: have you ever ate !!
I did read once that rural wood pigeon is fine to eat, but dont eat the urban `rat`pigeon because of the kind of scraps it eats,.. but then I have never tried either

As for Hedgehog, yes I have, I remember one day on the range, a few of our regiment and a couple of Para`s had a feast of Hedgehog and Python, the Para guys had gone down to Cardiff and bought the Python from a pet shop,... and cooked it for dinner,.... I always remember that the Gurkas who were also there were laughing their heads off, because you need to cook a snake slowly sort of sun rise to sun set, because a snake is all muscle,.. we cooked ours in about two hours,... the hedgehog was good eating, but the Python was like eating a truck tyre,..Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 May 2013, 16:51,
This might finish off the hedgepig part of the debate at least:
http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/top...hedgehogs/

I think I'll cross it off the menu... Big Grin

6 May 2013, 20:44,
Hedgehogs are currently a protected species and part of my garden pest patrol - I shall be in hot pursuit of anyone who decides to eat one!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
6 May 2013, 21:45,
(6 May 2013, 20:44)MaryN Wrote: Hedgehogs are currently a protected species and part of my garden pest patrol - I shall be in hot pursuit of anyone who decides to eat one!

Good for you,. and totally agree,...in my defense my hedgehog tasting was about 25 years ago
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 May 2013, 21:51,
I would describe Wood Pigeon as tasting somewhere between liver and steak. I love it.

My favourite is to cook the breasts for just a minute each side in a hot pan with a glug of olive oil, knob of butter and a crushed clove of garlic. Remember to let it rest for 10 minutes before eating, or it will be tough.
6 May 2013, 21:56,
(6 May 2013, 21:45)Highlander Wrote:
(6 May 2013, 20:44)MaryN Wrote: Hedgehogs are currently a protected species and part of my garden pest patrol - I shall be in hot pursuit of anyone who decides to eat one!

Good for you,. and totally agree,...in my defense my hedgehog tasting was about 25 years ago

You for one will be safe from the wrath of me, Highlander!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
7 May 2013, 17:40,
Never eaten Hedgehog and don't think I would as I like them to eat all my slugs n snails, and they do a great job.
Something that I bet not a lot of people have eaten is the freshwater Perch. It is really nice a lot like a bass or snapper even. You have to give it a good de-scaling though. PS be very carefull not to take them from a fishing lake etc as the Baillifs tend to get a bit miffed (if they catch you that isDodgy
8 May 2013, 09:48,
chicken hearts soaked in beer then flame grilled... excellent stuff
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
8 May 2013, 12:10,

Go down your local travellers site when they are having a barbie.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 May 2013, 14:29,
I have close ties with the large traveller community in my area, as kids they would often eat squirrel and hedgehog. Most travellers are wary of outsiders, but if you can make friends with them it can't hurt if SHTF.