Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
My BOB
18 May 2013, 10:00,
RE: My BOB
A word on steam..

if your water bottle was to rupture above 100c, say for instance at 150c, the pressure inside the bottle would be 80-90psi

When water turns into steam (as it would do, instantaneously, if your bottle burst) then the steam will occupy an area 1700 times the size of your water bottle, you wouldnt be sprayed by boiling water, you'd be hit by a steam explosion!

so one litre of water, turned into steam has the potential to have a danger area 1.5 times the size of a 1 cubic metre IBC.

not to mention shrapnel and flying debris!

in reality, your water bottles would rupture at much higher than 150c/80psi, leading to a more disastrous conclusion.

look on youtube for "steam explosion"

Someone told me 1kg of steam (1l of water @ circa 150psi) has the explosive power of a stick of dynamite, though i cant find any written proof of this.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
18 May 2013, 10:03,
Early locomotive boilers in the Victorian era were known to explode with lethal effects at 150 PSI though modern boilers can cope with 240 PSI

20 May 2013, 18:55,
(17 May 2013, 16:47)Anything Really Wrote: The sleeping bag is only a cheap one. I thought it would be best to get the basics and then maybe improve them as time progresses.

Years ago, I managed with a two-season summer bag but got myself a fibre-pile liner and it did me for winter in both the UK and the Alps.

20 May 2013, 19:19,
Well thats good enough for me then GG

I'll just let the water cool first Smile
20 May 2013, 19:28,
At the moment I only have a two season sleeping bag but figured if it got really old I could put the sleeping bag inside my survival bag. Would that work? (Just until I upgrade to a better one)
20 May 2013, 19:34,
It would certainly help,..spend a few pence on a Space Blanket too
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 May 2013, 19:47, (This post was last modified: 20 May 2013, 19:48 by Mooski88.)
Yeah I have a space blanket, survival bag and a small survival tent that can be doubled as a blanket.

Thank god by dont take up much room.
20 May 2013, 20:17,
(20 May 2013, 19:47)Mooski88 Wrote: Yeah I have a space blanket, survival bag and a small survival tent that can be doubled as a blanket.

Thank god by dont take up much room.

Don't whatever you do, put the space blanket inside the sleeping bag. In a moment of madness and in a hard frost, I did that and damn near drowned in sweat! Big Grin

If the survival bag's big enough, the sleeping bag inside it can make a good bivvy, retaining heat and keeping most of you dry.

20 May 2013, 21:17,
I use an ultra slim sleeping bag, but layer it up. I have a thermal layer inside the bag, and a microfibre layer inside that. If need be, I have a waterproof layer I can wrap the whole thing up in. With that, I use a self inflating mat. Works for 3 seasons very well.

This winter, I hope to get another thermal layer and a second mat (just to experiment with) and will see how that holds up over. My prediction, it'll be okay for a max of minus 5, or there about.

Oh, and I have a mylar (space blanket) sleeping bag bag, if all else fails, but that makes me too hot and sweaty...which can backfire pretty easily in the cold, so layering is vital to wick the sweat from the outside of your body.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
20 May 2013, 21:56,
If all else fails its time for leaves Smile