Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dispelling Myths about medieval Combat
20 May 2013, 15:57,
RE: dispelling Myths about medieval Combat
BP you have to watch TH, he is any excuse for wearing a codpiece Smile

20 May 2013, 16:12,
Ah the codpiece a wonderful statement of manhoodAngel it should be big enough to hang your floppy hat on and of sufficient girth to terrorise tavern wenches yyaaarg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN65uLXegeI
20 May 2013, 22:29,
(20 May 2013, 16:12)Tartar Horde Wrote: Ah the codpiece a wonderful statement of manhoodAngel it should be big enough to hang your floppy hat on and of sufficient girth to terrorise tavern wenches yyaaarg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN65uLXegeI

i think that all cock and balls TH Big Grin
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
21 May 2013, 04:45,
Nice post Tartar,i have a binder full of print outs from the arma site.Fantastic source for dispelling the many myths surrounding our western martial artsBig Grin
23 May 2013, 00:47,
Swords and similar hand combat sharp weapons have a very real place in SHTF settings. They are still used in many places round the World today and have been seen used in Egypt during the recent uprising. Most people after a SHTF event or during it, will not be armed with projectile weapons and those that are, (inc preppers) will not have them constantly cocked, loaded, shouldered and pointing in the right direction. In crowded environments and urban structures, then an edged weapon is a very useful tool. It can be far quicker to draw and cut with one, than to deploy a crossbow or bow or other projectile weapons in some circumstances. In a more crowded environment, an edged weapon can be carried discreetly while being ready to draw very rapidly. In this way it could attract a lot less attention than a rifle or crossbow.
The ability to have some rudimentary knowledge of how to use an edged weapon & preferably more than just a knife, is something that enables you to understand the aims, objectives, body mechanics and weapon abilities of any aggressor wielding one. This could be very useful and is in no way obsolete. In fact you are much more likely to come across someone armed with a non projectile weapon than otherwise. The mental learning development of a prepper, actually increases their conscious exposure to prep related weapons massively - BUT mainly from the point of view of what the prepper would wish for a SHTF or PSHTF situation and not necessarily for the seemingly more mundane probablility of what actually a civilian aggressor is likely to be using as a weapon. In the majority of cases for the UK, this has more probability of being a hand held non ranged weapon. Safe travels, TL
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
23 May 2013, 03:08,
Yea, right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc
23 May 2013, 23:59,
Edged weapons are not obsolete as they are likely to be in the majority in the UK by a mostly disarmed civilian population. This does not detract from the usefulness of guns. Anyway, missiles trump guns and there are loads of Utube vids for that one. Wink
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
24 May 2013, 10:25,
(23 May 2013, 03:08)Mortblanc Wrote: Yea, right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc
That video clip is a well used example of why you should never bring a sword to a gunfight, however I would suggest it is slightly skewed with a North American view. The prevelance of firearms in North America neutralises the effectiveness of bladed weapons because far more people own and use firearms there, than do here. Anyone relying on a sword for defence in the USA, I think is frankly mental given the universal availability of Firearms. The chances of me ever meeting anyone carrying a gun in the UK are very small, even less of me coming into conflict with such a person. Even in our cities with the availability of illegal firearms the vast majority of the population are unarmed, untrained and unfamiliar with weapons and their use. The main choice for weapons in the uk for the majority of people are assorted kitchen knives, machete's, various military styled single handed blades, baseball bats and cheap Asian Katana like swords. There are always exceptions and variables that you can't forsee or prepare for, but that's just life. Anyone in the UK with training in bladed weapons has the advantage over the vast majority of the population who haven't the faintest idea how to use such weapons in combat, nor of their effectiveness. Effectively the only weapons technology the population of the UK has easy access to is Medieval! ie bladed weapons, Bows and Crossbows. There are of course Air Rifles, but even buying these, has started to be controlled and monitored. Your reply and video link makes a powerful statement Mortblanc, and I will be honest here and say "if I had to throw my treasured swords into a ditch SHTF, to get a firearm of choice I would do so in an instant with no regret, well perhaps a little", because I am a realist and realise the gun is King. If you could imagine the population of the USA disarmed as we are Mortblanc with only the same availability of weapons as we have, can you appreciate how being able to use a sword would give you a massive edge, when most people are using knives, machetes and baseball bats.
24 May 2013, 10:31,
most if not all violent crime in this country seems to be knife related, it is not often you hear of a gun being used in the UK and when it is it is more remarkable because of that fact, like when the two WPC's were shot and killed.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 May 2013, 10:54,
It's the same here BP, I can't ever emember anyone getting mugged or burgled with a gun. The MO for the Smackheads and Crackheads is a suitably nasty looking "rambo" style blade round here, something not too long and portable.