Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dispelling Myths about medieval Combat
26 May 2013, 07:23,
RE: dispelling Myths about medieval Combat
(26 May 2013, 01:34)Mandlaka Wrote: It can also be very easily transformed into a nasty short spear that is longer than an assegai. Even a small 2 inch blade will do horrible damage when attached to a staff. Hence the 6 broom handles I have at home ready along with my regular set of kitchen knives...

I haven't made one of these, but I have previously attached a pruning saw blade to a wooden pole and I found that a couple of short screws and a good binding with well stretched insulation tape made a VERY strong job of it.

Cheap kitchen knives with thick blades and riveted handles can be had for a few quid, well worth having in the store room.
26 May 2013, 09:44, (This post was last modified: 26 May 2013, 09:46 by Tartar Horde.)
(26 May 2013, 06:42)Talon Wrote: I have a bit of an aversion to Llynn Thompson.
Here is a guide for the polish sabre,though it works just as well for the 1796 light cavalry sabre (one of the finest cutting swords ever made)Wink

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubsfz17mo4glwo...20HEMA.pdf
I know what you mean about Llyn Thompson Talon and Cold Steel, their blades can be overbuilt and a bit "lifeless", I own a 1796 LCS and it is the best blade they have ever made in my humble opinion and a devastating cutter, but it aint graceful to use.

Talon I can't get the link to work , I only get a white page etc.
26 May 2013, 13:58, (This post was last modified: 26 May 2013, 14:21 by Talon.)
Strange,it opens up for me in regular internet explorer Huh.Have you tried a different browser Tartar.

I have the 1796 cold steel lcs (the only cold steel blade I own),purely because that's really all that's out there that's closest to the Blucher sabre (barring antiques).

I shortened mine (don't ask why, it seemed like a good idea at the time) mines now a short cutlass style,wicked cutter but I really wish I hadn't shortened mine,they aren't cheap to replaceSad

Edit,i tried the link in google chrome and it works for me.On a related note Tartar i'm really curious about your sword collectionWink,here's mine .

Angus trim DD1523 (only 9 made for the UK market for the now defunct countercut)
Angus trim XII.1H
HT gsow
cold steel lcs
Hanwei unokubu zukuri (modified with a cold steel grosse messer hilt furniture)
BKS straight blade (fantasy type)
I did have an A Trim 1326 and an Arms and Armour Durer
(sold both and deeply regret selling either)
Here's the link again, it works fine for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubsfz17mo4glwo...20HEMA.pdf
27 May 2013, 11:47,
The link works fine now Talon. Excellent piece on the development and use of the Sabre. I know exactly what you mean about the CS1796 LCS as I searched high and low for a good modern reproduction and ended up with the Cold Steel version as it is the only one readily available. Although the Cold Steel 1796 is within historic parameters for the weight, it is in reality a tad too heavy, and I would like to see Cold Steel reduce the weight by around half a pound.
I have sold most of the swords owned as I really want better pieces now. The two I have kept are.
Italian Bastard sword-Christian Fletcher designed built by Valiant Armory
Cold Steel 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre.

I have a selection of "main Gauche" daggers as well, ie Solingen and Torino style. What I really want to do is get a good representation of swords from Oakeshottes typology, but as you are aware Talon the availability and build quality is often suspect. You know exactly what I mean when for instance you compare your old Arms & Armor Durer to a WindlassBig Grin (why on Earth did you sell the AA Durer Talon). What I really want now is a single handed sword of either type X-Xa, Rob Millers type "H" and "Ballinderry" look sweet, or something like Albions type XVI "cut and Thrust" blades.
Some of the Swords I have owned have been complete "dogs" and was glad to see the back of em.
Anything by John Barnett is pants and not fit to peel tatties, I had a Mortuary Sword and it was terrible lol.
Hanwei "cromwell" was a lovely looking sword with a real Sharkskin wrap on the hilt and a nice "antiqued" effect, but it was just too heavy and unresponsive for what should be a fast and lively type sword.
I had a Windlass Sticklestad Viking sword and while the blade was ok it had a terrible edge on it and a Suede Handle hehe.
27 May 2013, 12:05,
Probably a bit of a digression but do you fine folks know a good site or place to find wasters made from decent wood please? Need to find a few.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
27 May 2013, 12:43,
(27 May 2013, 12:05)Mandlaka Wrote: Probably a bit of a digression but do you fine folks know a good site or place to find wasters made from decent wood please? Need to find a few.

Try "The Knight Shop" uk they have a range of waster swords, but they also do a line of nylon practice swords that are supposed to be very good, they come with a choice of hilt as well (apparently).

http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/s...0eab834a7c

hope this helps
27 May 2013, 13:04,
The knight shop is a good Uk site (one of the few we have).Apart from a boken I've never owned a waster (really should get one).
Purple heart wasters are reputedly very good.

I bought a John Barnett seax once,what a total waste of money,without doubt the worst thing I've ever thrown cash at.

I regret selling the Durer Tartar,but in my quest for my perfect sword it was nice to own (and a lovely sword)but it's on to a new home.I greatly regret selling the AT1326 as it was a beautiful representation of a type XIII.

From what I've heard the sticklestad is one of Windlasses better swords,that and the Ulfberht (i'm actually hankering after the Ulfberht),but I really want the Rob Miller type h or the Albion Tritonia,we'll see what next year brings,but given the choice i'll support our own craftsman and go with Rob.
27 May 2013, 14:38,
The Sticklestad was ok Talon it had a good temper and none of the Whippiness Windlass have been known for. You will have to dress the edge on a Windlass though as they come with a bluntish edge due to export laws. Talking of Rob, have you seen his Damascus Sabre in the custom gallery?
A custon damascus 1796 LCS with brass guard and fittings, bout 2.5 lbs, get it ordered SonBig Grin
27 May 2013, 15:09,
(27 May 2013, 12:43)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(27 May 2013, 12:05)Mandlaka Wrote: Probably a bit of a digression but do you fine folks know a good site or place to find wasters made from decent wood please? Need to find a few.

Try "The Knight Shop" uk they have a range of waster swords, but they also do a line of nylon practice swords that are supposed to be very good, they come with a choice of hilt as well (apparently).

hope this helps

Thanks a lot. I will check these guys out.
Much appreciated.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
28 May 2013, 00:39,
Make sure any Damascus blade you buy is genuine Damascus and not this powdered sintered stuff that had flooded the market this last 15 years. That is the equivalent of "cast". Also, I am aware of issues with Cold Steel making sword blades out of 01 tool steel and hence their breaking on a regular basis. I do not know how much of their range is affected by this, but a friend of mine who is more informed on this issue assures me there is info on forums with quite a few pictures of breakages. He also informs me that Cold Steel refused to replace any of the swords that have broken this way.

Their sales image clips look very good, but you do not know how many "takes" they underwent to show perfect results every time. I remember one image of a boar spear tip snapping off when it was thrown at a car bonnet (like that would ever occur??). It would be interesting to know exactly what steels each type of sword was made out of and to what hardness/temper it had been produced. Without knowing this, no sword should be purchased.
I have not looked into the Cold Steel issue myself, but it is a useful caution to be aware of. Regards, TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"