Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn
21 May 2013, 18:00,
RE: URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn
We should always try to analise a disaster and try and understand both the circumstances behind it, and the response from the authorities and how the affected community itself responds.

21 May 2013, 18:04,
I think that is sound advise, i'm very interested how the population reacts to a disaster( what the disaster is isn't that important but peoples reactions to it is), as we know sheeple act very differently to preppers.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 May 2013, 18:22, (This post was last modified: 21 May 2013, 18:30 by Mortblanc.)
(21 May 2013, 16:51)bigpaul Wrote: pretty much agree with all the above, the reasons given are why we all are preppers. however where I think the Brits and the Americans differ is in relation to "community prepping", there are many Brit preppers who would not trust their neighbours an inch in any event or collapse, not only is this true in our wonderful multi cultural inner cities, but is also true out in the countryside, there are very few, if any, people living near me that I would trust (completely) in a total collapse, in fact there are 1 or 2 I would happily remove from the gene pool immediately post shtf.Big Grin

Those concerns are also universal BP, urban and rural.

You must always factor in human nature and capacity for evil along with the capacity to do good. It has always been that way and is the reason even primitive societies have norms of behavior.

I have good neighbors, but I keep my distance and they keep theirs. Still, we swap use of items on occasion and make use of each other's knowledge. It's nice to have a small engine mechanic, heavy equipment operator and fleet diesel mechanic and all their necessary gear in sight of the house.

And I know that if one of them pulled me from the rubble that was once my home and then stated that his wife or child was bleeding badly and needed help I would respond as best I could.

I also know which ones I could trust to stand guard up at the end of the road and which ones would watch my 6 when I stepped out to turn looters away. I sure miss my wife in that regard.

Fact of the matter is that you probably know more about your neighbors than you realize, and they know more about you than you would expect, all due to simple observation and deduction.

That is also survival knowledge.

Whether you like them or they like you or if you converse on a daily basis is not relevant. Just knowing who you can not depend on in a crisis is survival knowledge.

And getting to know the people around you might be the cultivation of a valuable survival skill.

You don't have to like them, you do need to know them. What is that old saying; "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

Now all this is just my American flavored opinion talking about universal norms and should be taken as such. I do realize that "people are people" does not apply across cultural boundaries.

One of the basic problems with international diplomacy is the fact that most of the government fools have not realized that everyone does not think like they do!

As for the response to the incident, one will see all levels of reaction in our population. In the same camera frame you will see a young woman sobbing because her sell phone will not work and in the background men with chainsaws clearing the road.

The guys with chainsaws are not preppers, they are just homeowners with chainsaws clearing the road for emergency vehicles. Or clearing the road so they can get the he!! out of there and into a motel before dark!

Every tragedy in America reinforces the standard principle that the most important piece of gear any prepper can have is an unlimited balance credit card!

a large portion of the 100,000 people affected by the tornado are now scattered through motel rooms for a 100 mile radius.
21 May 2013, 18:39, (This post was last modified: 21 May 2013, 18:42 by bigpaul.)
at one time in this country your community, your town or just people in your street were friends and could be trusted upon because they were the same as you and had the same values, SADLY THAT IS NO LONGER TRUE! people these days seem to be out for what they can get and to hell with the consequences, if you say anything to them you get the response" Whats it to you?" people don't seem to have the brains they were born with and seem to get stupid once they reach adulthood, and then of course you have the cult of the "celebrity", nobody wants to do a fair days work for a fair days pay, they just want their "15 minutes of fame"! then of course we have people, mostly "Single" mothers with multiple brats from multiple fathers who just want to live off the state. NO the UK has "gone to hell in a handcart" and when TSHTF I feel it will be everyone for themselves. if you still have the "community spirit" in America then good for you and I wish all those people in Oklahoma the very best but I feel this country(the UK) has gone to far the other way in the last 50 years and there is now no going back.

that is one reason why I became a prepper so that I could take care of me and mine in an emergency and not rely on this pathetic PC government of ours.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 May 2013, 18:52,
slight change of topic but extreme weather seems to be the focus of the next UK prepper production: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rWvwyHzHd4
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
21 May 2013, 21:27,
I'm in full agreement with people saying that this was a wake up call for the public, but shouldn't the Rioting two years ago have been a wake up call ( within two days mass rioting in london, mass rioting across england within three, law and order breakdown), what about hurricane sandy in November last year (utilities + comms down, limited gas/fuel for vehicles, diminishing food), the bad weather this year (whole areas cut off, roads impassable, people stranded in cars) and the Cyprus bank crisis ("bank holiday" capital controls people unable to access funds).Time and time again, events take place that you think would get the sheeple to turn the TV off and start making some basic plans.
21 May 2013, 21:48,
(21 May 2013, 16:31)Jonas Wrote: Send prayers for the folks in Moore Oklahoma, and all of us that are in danger today and tonight.

Thoughts and prayers are with you Jonas, and you Mortblanc, and with the people of Moore...

21 May 2013, 21:59,
(21 May 2013, 18:52)preservefreak Wrote: slight change of topic but extreme weather seems to be the focus of the next UK prepper production: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rWvwyHzHd4

Sheesh they just dont get it do they????, Which prepper in his right mind is going to give away his privacy and OPSEC for fifteen minutes of being humiliated on TV by a TV company interested only in ratings and advertising revenue !!!!! ?

21 May 2013, 22:12,
(21 May 2013, 21:59)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(21 May 2013, 18:52)preservefreak Wrote: slight change of topic but extreme weather seems to be the focus of the next UK prepper production: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rWvwyHzHd4

Sheesh they just dont get it do they????, Which prepper in his right mind is going to give away his privacy and OPSEC for fifteen minutes of being humiliated on TV by a TV company interested only in ratings and advertising revenue !!!!! ?

Those who allow NatGeo to access them and hold them up to such ridicule and complete elimination of their OPSEC do not deserve to be called preppers but just idiots...they are sheeple in disguise who would richly deserve whatever they got as a result of going on TV!
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
21 May 2013, 22:19,
(21 May 2013, 22:12)Mandlaka Wrote:
(21 May 2013, 21:59)NorthernRaider Wrote:

Those who allow NatGeo to access them and hold them up to such ridicule and complete elimination of their OPSEC do not deserve to be called preppers but just idiots...they are sheeple in disguise who would richly deserve whatever they got as a result of going on TV!

I agree but wanted to be polite and not to judgemental Smile I respectfully believe it is wrong for preppers to ask or encourage other preppers to destroy their OPSEC for a few minutes of attention on TV.