Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low Profile Living
21 May 2013, 15:16,
RE: Low Profile Living
(21 May 2013, 12:21)River Song Wrote: @NR

Turning off your BT Home Hub wont really do it. True that you get a re-allocated IP address (Not URL)
withn 10 mins (no need for 24 hours) but BT still logs you as the user of the IP address on its logs. (Poo)

Check out TOR Browser. It passes you session through lots of different IP addresses and makes it untraceable.
A bit slower than normal but secure.

Word of warning on TOR. You're only really disguised amongst other people in your LOCAL AREA who are using the TOR network. It wouldn't take long at all to find out exactly what you are up to if you are the only connection in your area (or even mux unit / distro) and you are traceable, regardless of what you read about TOR online. I presumed I was untraceable online using this, but turns out you're not.

Best method, smash your neighbours wifi then do what you want. Use linux, with TOR enabled for that little bit of extra security, on someone elses network. Spoof your MAC address to that of your neighbours PC, don't log in to your email etc. Keep an old laptop (it's running linux, so a 386 will do) and hide the battery / power cable somewhere. If TPTB find it (then you're already up shit creek - HIDE), well, it's just an old laptop you've not got round to chucking away...
21 May 2013, 15:19,
if I lived alone I would go completely off grid and off system but I don't think the OH would go for it, POST SHTF is another matter.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 May 2013, 15:22,
I thought I was going to be clever and suggest getting a load of different sim cards from different operators, but its just a dumb idea, (yes sir, and whats your address) not so low profile now.
21 May 2013, 15:27,
(21 May 2013, 15:22)Jan Wrote: I thought I was going to be clever and suggest getting a load of different sim cards from different operators, but its just a dumb idea, (yes sir, and whats your address) not so low profile now.

No, it's a good idea. Go into your local "corner shop" (bloody Romans!) and give the nice foreign man behind the counter a pound, and they'll give you a nice unregistered sim card.

It's the phone that's the problem. Unless you're running a very old, or very cheap mobile phone it's going to have a MAC address (for when it goes online)

Best thing would be to get yourself an old Nokia 3310 (or whatever they were) make yourself a cable for them and then change the IMEI number. This in itself is illegal (we found this out in school after changing about 20 phones IMEI numbers) so don't do it. Certainly don't research further and see what you can do with these old Nokia. I thoroughly condemn anyone who attempts to avoid the ever growing, all seeing eye of the guberment.
21 May 2013, 15:40,
we use very old Nokia phones(not sure which number they are), very basic, no cameras, no internet connection, just makes and receives calls, ditto text, used on pay and go, no contracts.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 May 2013, 15:49,
(21 May 2013, 15:40)bigpaul Wrote: we use very old Nokia phones(not sure which number they are), very basic, no cameras, no internet connection, just makes and receives calls, ditto text, used on pay and go, no contracts.

So there's not MAC addy to worry about, just the IMEI. Although if you don't say anything you shouldn't then there's no reason to worry.

This is why I change phones so often.

Oh, you may as well delete the new number I sent you too - I lost the phone last week. Gutted, not about the phone, but the fact that I spent twice as much on credit as I did on the bloody hand set!
21 May 2013, 15:54,
(21 May 2013, 15:49)BeardyMan Wrote: Oh, you may as well delete the new number I sent you too - I lost the phone last week.

not again! its probably in the same place SID hides the remotes!!Big Grin
21 May 2013, 16:02,
(21 May 2013, 15:54)bigpaul Wrote:
(21 May 2013, 15:49)BeardyMan Wrote: Oh, you may as well delete the new number I sent you too - I lost the phone last week.

He's taken to drowning things either in the bath or in the dogs water bowl instead of hiding them. £45 for a new PS3 remote!! I'd take it out of his pocket money, but he doesn't get any Angry

The phone is probably somewhere in Cornwall. I may have even left it in the new house, as I've not seen it since then!
21 May 2013, 16:21,
(21 May 2013, 16:02)BeardyMan Wrote:
(21 May 2013, 15:54)bigpaul Wrote:

He's taken to drowning things either in the bath or in the dogs water bowl instead of hiding them. £45 for a new PS3 remote!! I'd take it out of his pocket money, but he doesn't get any Angry

The phone is probably somewhere in Cornwall. I may have even left it in the new house, as I've not seen it since then!
if its in the new place you'll be able to retrieve it when you move in.
21 May 2013, 19:51,
or just buy a cheap laptop or tablet with WiFi from a second hand shop, or from a friend, for cash. use public WiFi points, all asda stores have free WiFi, MacDonalds, etc. also. Local library's are good for it as well, just sit in the car park, or something to avoid CCTV. You may have to use vnc, or proxies to bypass the firewalls etc, but its good for anonymous web browsing.