Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Month's Food Experimentation
24 May 2013, 14:49,
RE: Next Month's Food Experimentation
(24 May 2013, 13:09)Highlander Wrote: I will be interested in any recipe you care to share

I'll share the ones worth sharing.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 May 2013, 00:07, (This post was last modified: 25 May 2013, 00:08 by Jan.)
I think its a great idea, especially the feed and produce ratio, would love to try them, for some reason I'm thinking they might taste similar to chicken, but the same pain in the backside as taking the shell off a king prawn of sorts, I await the results.
25 May 2013, 23:55,
Sounds interesting I'd like to know the outcome another recipe to pop away good luck Smile
26 May 2013, 09:32,
(25 May 2013, 00:07)Jan Wrote: I think its a great idea, especially the feed and produce ratio, would love to try them, for some reason I'm thinking they might taste similar to chicken, but the same pain in the backside as taking the shell off a king prawn of sorts, I await the results.

Research suggests they're actually a bit nutty, and you eat the shell.
26 May 2013, 09:55,
You can pre-load insects and grubs/larva by feeding them on fresh fruit etc to load/fill them with vitamins. It is a common practise amongst reptile breeders. You can pick up meal worms etc from reptile shops and feed them Oranges and other fruit to make them more nutritious.
29 May 2013, 10:56,
(26 May 2013, 09:55)Tartar Horde Wrote: You can pre-load insects and grubs/larva by feeding them on fresh fruit etc to load/fill them with vitamins. It is a common practise amongst reptile breeders. You can pick up meal worms etc from reptile shops and feed them Oranges and other fruit to make them more nutritious.

I popped around Pets-At-Home yesterday.

Damn those crickets they have smell like ****!!!!! I literally mean, poo.

I did plan on loading them up with carrot to clear their last few meals, but your post has given me an idea.

If I could cope with the first batch of yummy bugs, then maybe it could be possible to load them....with flavours!!! See where this is going?
29 May 2013, 17:37,
I wouldn't bother to load them up with anything, most bugs and worms are full of goodness to start with, instead try frying them and throw in other items to bulk out or flavor the meal, you can try dandelions, all parts of it, nettles,.... buy a good book, there are many plants that could be thrown into the pot, and before you know it you have a good stew on the go,... there is nothing to say you cant throw in fruit
A major part of survival is invisibility.
29 May 2013, 17:48,
had some mill worms today taste like pork scratching, very nice .
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
29 May 2013, 17:57,
I know with snails you have to "Purge" them for like 24 hours to get rid of all the nasties, do you have to do the same with insects??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 May 2013, 20:25,
(29 May 2013, 17:57)bigpaul Wrote: I know with snails you have to "Purge" them for like 24 hours to get rid of all the nasties, do you have to do the same with insects??

Rightly or wrongly I never have, although I have never tried anything that might be considered to be anything other than safe,.. I dont think that beetles need anything doing to them, but I do cleanse the worms by drawing them through my fingers

I have never tried snails, I have always stayed shy of them

I used to keep aviary birds and many of them were fed on grubs, and I remember that I had to cleanse them, it was done by putting them into a bowl of bran for a day until the black guts of the wee beastie was no longer there
A major part of survival is invisibility.