Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing Petrol stations
29 May 2013, 09:45, (This post was last modified: 29 May 2013, 09:46 by Binnie.)
RE: Missing Petrol stations
Landcruiser Amazon.......... 12mpg makes it a false economy though Big Grin

the surf has coils on the rear doesnt it? you could get "caravan spec" spring assisters for a pittance!

if its the older surf i think they have leafs on the rear, if it's leafs it should take the wieght without a problem? (LN16#, HDN16# off the top of my head? or maybe thats a hiace model code, its been a while)

actually come to think of it, mayeb all surfs had coils and 4runners had leafs? like i said, its been a while!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
29 May 2013, 10:15,
(29 May 2013, 09:45)Binnie Wrote: Landcruiser Amazon.......... 12mpg makes it a false economy though Big Grin

the surf has coils on the rear doesnt it? you could get "caravan spec" spring assisters for a pittance!

if its the older surf i think they have leafs on the rear, if it's leafs it should take the wieght without a problem? (LN16#, HDN16# off the top of my head? or maybe thats a hiace model code, its been a while)

actually come to think of it, mayeb all surfs had coils and 4runners had leafs? like i said, its been a while!

Aye, coils all round on the 2nd Gen Surf onwards (1st Gen had leaf).
You can get an after market spring that allows the heavier fuel tank to be added (the standard ones are different lengths anyway) but it starts getting expensive then, unless you're able to do the work yourself.

Really fancy an Amazon, didn't realise that the mpg was so low though. Might as well go for an ML320. Much faster & more luxurious, and even driving it like you stole it you can still get 13mpg!
29 May 2013, 10:22, (This post was last modified: 29 May 2013, 10:25 by bigpaul.)
(29 May 2013, 09:03)bigpaul Wrote: fuel tank on my Berlingo is 60 litres, i'm not sure what the fuel consumption on a 1400cc is.

ok just looked it up, 39MPG so that's 468 miles to drain the tank! you can pick up a berlingo for as little as £1500.

there is a 2001 Berlingo on Fleabay at the moment for £475, its in Coventry.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 May 2013, 10:42,
Petrol stations are missing from remote areas because it just isn't viable any more to have them. There are still a few smaller places with a single or duble pump in the wilds.

However, even if all the ones NR remembers were still there we can't count on them when we are bugging out. The ones on the main roads are likely to be empty. It only takes a days delay in being refilled for those in towns.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 May 2013, 10:45,
(29 May 2013, 10:15)BeardyMan Wrote:
(29 May 2013, 09:45)Binnie Wrote: Landcruiser Amazon.......... 12mpg makes it a false economy though Big Grin

Aye, coils all round on the 2nd Gen Surf onwards (1st Gen had leaf).
You can get an after market spring that allows the heavier fuel tank to be added (the standard ones are different lengths anyway) but it starts getting expensive then, unless you're able to do the work yourself.

Really fancy an Amazon, didn't realise that the mpg was so low though. Might as well go for an ML320. Much faster & more luxurious, and even driving it like you stole it you can still get 13mpg!

personally i'd have an old J70 series lancruiser (the really square looking one) with a 3L engine. used to love those old beasts.

The Amazon, especially the first one, was a weapon, we towed a 20ft container across a gravel yard with one, was cheaper than hiring a crane Big Grin

I dunno if your surf has the L series engine or HD series, but for ease of maintenance and spares availability i'd go L series.

The HD series engine in a surf does hold a special place in my heart though, HD engine + LSD + rain = fun!!

BP, i've actually just bought a berlingo 1.8 non turbo, its slow, but very economical!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
29 May 2013, 11:22,
mine's a 1400cc petrol one, don't know why yours is slow mine goes like the proverbial brown stuff off a shovel! depends how much welly you give it I suppose?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 May 2013, 11:28,
(29 May 2013, 10:45)Binnie Wrote: personally i'd have an old J70 series lancruiser (the really square looking one) with a 3L engine. used to love those old beasts.

The Amazon, especially the first one, was a weapon, we towed a 20ft container across a gravel yard with one, was cheaper than hiring a crane Big Grin

I dunno if your surf has the L series engine or HD series, but for ease of maintenance and spares availability i'd go L series.

The HD series engine in a surf does hold a special place in my heart though, HD engine + LSD + rain = fun!!

BP, i've actually just bought a berlingo 1.8 non turbo, its slow, but very economical!

My mate has one of the old J70s. Just sat there doing nowt. I would take it off his hands, but it's in Australia Sad

I sold the Surf, should have kept it really. Had the 3.0 diesel, went like a rocket. Great fun to drive. Tempted by a 3rd gen now. Don't really want to spend Amazon money. But then I could really do with a transit type vehicle so I don't have to spend out on hotels during the week.
29 May 2013, 11:32,
I wouldn't bother fitting an extra tank to a van, just buy a drum of red diesel and a hand pump. If you break the van you can take the fuel with you to another vehicle.
29 May 2013, 12:18, (This post was last modified: 29 May 2013, 12:20 by NorthernRaider.)
(29 May 2013, 09:40)BeardyMan Wrote: Anyone know of any 4x4s that come with a fuel tank > 60 litres, as standard?

Land Rover Defender has 75 litres as standard.

Another point of note on this subject in response to SDs comments about the petrol stations getting refilled from the refineries, the UK is now down to five refineries I believe !! that makes them more vulnerable and the supply chain more delicate.

29 May 2013, 13:08,
(29 May 2013, 12:18)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(29 May 2013, 09:40)BeardyMan Wrote: Anyone know of any 4x4s that come with a fuel tank > 60 litres, as standard?

Land Rover Defender has 75 litres as standard.

Another point of note on this subject in response to SDs comments about the petrol stations getting refilled from the refineries, the UK is now down to five refineries I believe !! that makes them more vulnerable and the supply chain more delicate.

Ah, the Defender. Yup, I had one of those. Real beast that was. Too expensive now though. £5k will get you something half decent, but not that good. Can't see that they're worth the money at all, like the VW transporters, all just seriously overpriced.

In Southampton I spotted a 4x4 transit. Heavily modified, sat on 33's, big bull bar at the front with winch, bright green. Dunno if this was a ground up build, or if you could get a 4x4 transit originally? That'd be ideal (minus the bright green paint)