Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepper Compound Bow Spec
29 May 2013, 18:14,
RE: Prepper Compound Bow Spec
I was wondering about buying a prod on Ebay and putting it on the end of an air rifle stock, not sure how to set up a trigger though.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 May 2013, 18:44,
(29 May 2013, 18:14)bigpaul Wrote: I was wondering about buying a prod on Ebay and putting it on the end of an air rifle stock, not sure how to set up a trigger though.

It would be easier just to make a simple medieval style stock from scratch with a nut release Paul.
The arbilist guild is a fantastic site for all things crossbowyWink

http://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/

for trigger mechanisms look here

http://www.thecrossbowmansden.com/Home.html

As far as power,to me 35/40lb is more than enough to get a pass-through on our indigenous species (four legged or two)once your bow is capable of a pass through more power just means further to walk to retrieve your arrow (realistic hunting distance is rarely more than 30 yards and often under that).
Even in a survival scenario i personally wouldn't want to go for a lower poundage than 30 out of respect to the quarry i was hunting.30lb should be a minimum poundage imo.
Regardless of poundage though i believe you should be able to place your shots within an 8 inch circle at your maximum distance.
If you're using the bow for defence against people,as long as i hit the bugger i'd be happyAngel
29 May 2013, 19:27, (This post was last modified: 29 May 2013, 19:50 by NorthernRaider.)
At 25 /30 yards my Banshees arrows penetrate over 3 to 4 inches into a leg of fresh pork, which is a useable power for me as the bow has to be handled by NR junior and Mrs NR and its primary role is home security with food hunting second and I reckon its compact size and easy use makes it far more suitable than an air rifle or pistol bow

I even wrapped a bath towel around the leg of pork to simulate clothing and the arrow still made useful pentration. I think as an EDC house bow or vehicle bow the budget Banshee is good for the role as as chaps like yourself have advised in recent months as ones strength and skill develop you can work your way up to something with a bit more oomph.

Now I'm thinking that many of us have already got Banshees and are exceedingly well chuffed with them perhaps we should start to look for what sort of bow we should evolve to as things progress.

This may be a natural progression in time for Banshee owners with limited funds who want something similar to the Banshee but that bit more poweful with the EZ Compound bow attaining 45 pound draw.

http://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/superbask...und+Bow%3A

29 May 2013, 22:06,
(29 May 2013, 18:44)Talon Wrote: As far as power,to me 35/40lb is more than enough to get a pass-through on our indigenous species (four legged or two)once your bow is capable of a pass through more power just means further to walk to retrieve your arrow

That's one way of looking at it, although my view is that a more powerful bow can push a larger broadhead through. Big broadheads mean big wounds, which means a bigger blood trail and less walking.
30 May 2013, 09:39,
(29 May 2013, 22:06)Steve Wrote: That's one way of looking at it, although my view is that a more powerful bow can push a larger broadhead through. Big broadheads mean big wounds, which means a bigger blood trail and less walking.

my horse bow is a copy of an American native bow and puts out a 40 LB draw, believe me that's enough to pull back on such a short bow.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 May 2013, 11:02,
A 45-50lb Bow will take any animal in the UK, including Beef cattle etc. The plains Indians took Buffalo with such bows, and the Woodland tribes regularly hunted Moose with bows of this strength. Talking about "knock down" power in relation to bows is a little misleading as Arrows with broadheads don't "dump" energy into a target as does a Bullet causing Hydraulic shock. The only way you will drop an animal in its tracks with a Bow is to hit it either in the Spine, the Heart, or any other Blood vessel that will cause immediate loss of blood pressure and thus death. Even if the animal is hit through both lungs which is a lethal shot the game will not just fall down, it will tend to run off until the loss of blood pressure causes unconsciousness.
30 May 2013, 18:49,
(29 May 2013, 22:06)Steve Wrote: That's one way of looking at it, although my view is that a more powerful bow can push a larger broadhead through. Big broadheads mean big wounds, which means a bigger blood trail and less walking.

Yup you could push a larger broadhead,though if you're using a bigger broadhead you would have to increase the size of your fletchings to help reduce the planing effect a larger broadhead may have the tendency to do.
This will increase drag and slow down the arrow to some degree.A smaller broadhead can use a smaller fletching and still get good penetration without sacrificing too much speed,though a heavier slower arrow fired from a heavier poundage bow will still cut through anything we're going to encounter with ease.

There's no one answer to the op's question as everyones different with different idea's on their ideal set up Smile.
I'm looking into getting a 45lb recurve and taking more time to practice with it.The problem is finding somewhere with enough space to comfortably practice.
30 May 2013, 19:28,
(30 May 2013, 11:02)Tartar Horde Wrote: A 45-50lb Bow will take any animal in the UK, including Beef cattle etc. The plains Indians took Buffalo with such bows, and the Woodland tribes regularly hunted Moose with bows of this strength. Talking about "knock down" power in relation to bows is a little misleading as Arrows with broadheads don't "dump" energy into a target as does a Bullet causing Hydraulic shock. The only way you will drop an animal in its tracks with a Bow is to hit it either in the Spine, the Heart, or any other Blood vessel that will cause immediate loss of blood pressure and thus death. Even if the animal is hit through both lungs which is a lethal shot the game will not just fall down, it will tend to run off until the loss of blood pressure causes unconsciousness.

The difference is that we won't be riding alongside a beef cow, en masse, firing multiple arrows at it. I know about killing by blood loss, standard deer stalking practice is to allow 15 minutes before following up a blood trail, to allow the deer to lay up and bleed out.
30 May 2013, 20:10,
(30 May 2013, 19:28)Steve Wrote: [

The difference is that we won't be riding alongside a beef cow, en masse, firing multiple arrows at it. I know about killing by blood loss, standard deer stalking practice is to allow 15 minutes before following up a blood trail, to allow the deer to lay up and bleed out.

Dont bet money on that Steve Smile