Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broadheads.. which target for practice?
30 May 2013, 21:49,
RE: Broadheads.. which target for practice?
Thanks guys, i wrongly assumed the drop would be wildly different compared to a standard tip....

more bolts and broadheads on order....
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
30 May 2013, 22:13,
Broadheads are almost always damaged on the first shot, so I do not practice with my broadheads at all, there is never going to be a lot of difference in the accuracy between the two,.. maybe a little if its windy, but then we should know to adjust our aim a little....
A major part of survival is invisibility.
30 May 2013, 22:24,
(30 May 2013, 21:49)Binnie Wrote: Thanks guys, i wrongly assumed the drop would be wildly different compared to a standard tip....

It may well be.The only way to find out is to shoot both at the distance's you're comfortable at.Just because your broadhead may weigh the same as your field tip,doesn't mean they'll act the same at a given distance.
A broadhead can plain or steer the arrow,only time at the target will tell you if they match.
having too big of a head can lead to the tip steering the arrow,a bigger fletching will counteract this,but it also increases drag.
Arrow tuning is something i'm getting more involved in. it's a lot to take in when you factor in the archers paradox.A centre shot bow will be easier to tune than a non centre shot bow.(arrow spine is less of a priority)
Arrow spine/fletching size compared to field point/broadhead.It's baffling and requires lot's of time and experimantation.
For a simple device as a self made bow i'm increasingly amazed at the complexity.I highly recommend the bowyers bible books.
Fascinating reading and something that amazes me,it's so simple but also so involved.
True insintive shooting,without having to think about gauging gap is a joy to watch,but takes years to master.Watch someone like Byron Ferguson or Howard Hill and you can see a true archer at work (the b!"£$£"!s)Wink
31 May 2013, 01:01,
I see Skean Dhude estimates you may get up to 3 uses from a broadhead bolt if you are lucky. That is firing at archery targets fixed in place in an open field. In "field use" for hunting or other possible situations, it would be more likely "fire & forget". If you can recover the bolt then that would be a bonus.Undecided
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
31 May 2013, 10:20,
For anyone interested in how a bow works, and how different bow designs affect arrow performance there is no better set of books to buy than "the Traditional Bowyers Bible". It comes in a set of three books(maybe four now) that will explain and show you how to create a full archery system. It explains everything you need to know from making "Stone age" bows to modern asiatic composites. There are excellent pages on making arrows from scratch, and in depth advice on flint points.
http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Bowyer...1585740853