Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front door security
5 June 2013, 19:14,
Front door security
Front door security

Apparently the lower forms of life have cottoned onto the fact that there are two major flaws with modern UPVC doors, one is many are designed with FIRE SAFETY in mind after pressure from the fire service and that means the bottom inset panel in many models can easily be kicked in to allow access for fire fighters (and thieves)
The other issue is the scum have realized that kicking or hammering at a front door makes lots of noise that can attract police or neighbourly attention, so some of the nasty little rodents have started burning their way through the doors with blow torches, melting / burning the upvc in one point until they can pull the door or panel apart.
Well the idea of someone setting fire to my front door after TSHTF rather concerning but an answer is available for those of us thinking about buying a new front door.
Its called a composite or laminated door. They look just like painted wood but are actually a wooden core with a steel sheet covering both side made to look like painted wood grain. Cost is about the same as a UPVC door but they are far more secure coming with BS3621 door locks and usually three x 100 mm steel and brass hinges.
If we installed such a door with 3 or 4 hinges screwed right through the frame and into the brickwork, and fitted a top and bottom long throw steel bolt we would have a very secure door by many peoples standards, its possibly a more low profile option than fitting a lockable security gate infront of your front door as is being done in many cities.

5 June 2013, 19:22,
RE: Front door security
No upvc door on the new place, just wood. Old wood at that.

Lots of people rent too, landlords get a bit funny about people swapping doors over.

You dont need to break the door to get in, you cam snap the cylinder in a normal lock in seconds, dont even need a pick.

Pre SHTF these are a good idea,if you have the money and are allowed to change the door, after the event if people are knocking on your door it may be too late
5 June 2013, 20:07,
Well NR your in my next of the woods now pal, you are bang on, I have fabricated and installed thousands of PVCu doors windows and patios , thermal properties of PVCu and great and high....no maintenance easy to clean BUT a load of sh.t composite doors are the best by a mile for security, that's why I am about to change my doors, as part of my security measures, by the way there are easier ways in through a PVCu door but I will not tell it here
5 June 2013, 20:11,
(5 June 2013, 20:07)Straight Shooter Wrote: Well NR your in my next of the woods now pal, you are bang on, I have fabricated and installed thousands of PVCu doors windows and patios , thermal properties of PVCu and great and high....no maintenance easy to clean BUT a load of sh.t composite doors are the best by a mile for security, that's why I am about to change my doors, as part of my security measures, by the way there are easier ways in through a PVCu door but I will not tell it here

You do know what you have just volunteered to do Smile donchaSmile A professionals review of which are the best types / makes of Composite doors Smile Pretty Please??????

5 June 2013, 20:27,
Oh shit !
5 June 2013, 20:32, (This post was last modified: 5 June 2013, 20:36 by NorthernRaider.)
Hey I bow to your greater knowledge and experience and humbly ask you help advise us on Compo Doors ??
Respects
NR

We have such a broad range of untapped skills among our members
IT experts
Fieldcraft experts
Engineers
Machinists
Medics
Designers
Teachers
Arborists
Game Keepers
Old Bastards
Burger Flippers
Dole Fiddlers
Mechanics
Photographers
Writers
Year 7 pupils
etc
Your the first door and window techy I know.Smile

5 June 2013, 20:58,
I would also like to know more about doors and their security, I have a modern pvc door with a glass pane in it,.. so it might well find itself being changed
A major part of survival is invisibility.
5 June 2013, 22:08,
I was gobsmacked when i read in some trade rag that UPVC doors are meant to be moderately easy for firemen to boot in !!!

11 June 2013, 09:54,
It is the riskless society we live in. Burglary rarely leads to death. Being trapped in burning buildings does it on a regular basis. It is a no brainer from that perspective.

Personally, I want to have broken doors after TSHTF and then replace them with something a bit more robust so on my list is the doors and the capability to replace them.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 June 2013, 11:37,
Can someone advise me on a company or website that is a good place for composite doors
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here