Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
fight or negotiation
20 June 2013, 09:07,
RE: fight or negotiation
(19 June 2013, 21:31)Gizmo Wrote:
Quote:in any case who said I use the MAIN roads? I've said enough times I use back country roads.

I know, I was pointing out that as I imagine the 3 main trunk roads will be gridlocked lots of them will be driving round all the back country roads and lanes trying to avoid the jams, the end result being them scattered all around previously quiet areas.

Like I said earlier, I'm not saying you are wrong, who knows for certain until it happens, but it is something that I used to expect to happen when I lived there.

yes, the A30, A39, A38 and A361, if any of these are gridlocked that's it people are stuck in a huge glorified car park...they aren't going anywhere, thankfully I am well away from these.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 June 2013, 09:12,
This scenario is probably the best one for trying to convince people that forming a group after the shtf is the best way to go for all sorts of reasons

a group of people bent on trouble would rather go and pick on a much easier target than a group settlement,... there is far less chance of this scenario happening in the first place if you can afford to have someone on watch all the time

.... the attacker will always have the advantage, he will not want to be seen and do his best to remain concealed until the very last moment, you will not know when he is coming, and you will never be sure how many are with him

So,... there will come a time for many of us when we would get this confrontation, where we are the one who is caught by surprise, and no-one can be absolutely sure how it would go because no two meetings would be the same

So I will still stick to my first answer,.. I would assess the situation and if I thought that to talk is the better option then that is what I would do,..if not then I would prepare to fight, most of my stores would be hard to find so letting them in to see we had nothing [ and letting them take what little was left out for them] may well be the safest option, if they think they have taken all we had, they are unlikely to return again

if we lived to know that for sure would be down to many things,... but fighting out of hand, with the certain `chance` of loosing is not going to help anyone
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 June 2013, 09:23,
isn't it though that, as preppers, we know about this and would put plans in place so that we wouldn't be caught out like this? surely this is more of a thing that will catch the sheeple out, not a prepared survivalist?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 June 2013, 10:04,
(20 June 2013, 09:23)bigpaul Wrote: isn't it though that, as preppers, we know about this and would put plans in place so that we wouldn't be caught out like this? surely this is more of a thing that will catch the sheeple out, not a prepared survivalist?

No, not necessarily,.. no matter what you put into place as a preper it may not be enough, it doesnt matter if you are on your own, in a group, or have barb wire, spiky plants, or geese... it doesn't matter what you try to do as a preper to defend yourself,.. the attacker will always have the upper hand

He, or his group, if they thought that you had what they wanted, have the time to plan, to watch you, to see what your deference are, and to work out your weaker spots,.. and you will have weaker spots,... he may come in the day or at night, under cover of rain or mist,...it is entirely of his choosing.

He/they may be military trained, he might be on his own, he may have others with him, they may approach from different directions at once,... they may never approach you at all, but just try picking you off from a far

You cant defend against everything that a determined aggressor can throw at you,.. unless you have a very strong group yourself

This is why I believe in not keeping my stores in the house,.. I have some, but most wouldn't be found, in most of these situation when I, as a military man know that I cant win, would need to play the lowly couple who are struggling to survive on what little we have, and let them in to see what we have,... they would likely take what little we had, but I still doubt that most would kill if they thought they were leaving you with nothing,.. if they were about to kill, then you are still in the same situation as when they first arrived anyway, so you still have the chance to fight no matter how the odds would be against you

As I see survival ashtf,.. is in two ways only,... either you think that you are remote enough that people think its too much trouble/fuel/time to come for you,.... or you belong to a group that is strong enough to make it so that thugs will go somewhere else,.... everyone else may be in trouble
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 June 2013, 10:40,
(20 June 2013, 10:04)Highlander Wrote: either you think that you are remote enough that people think its too much trouble/fuel/time to come for you,.... or you belong to a group that is strong enough to make it so that thugs will go somewhere else,.... everyone else may be in trouble

in my own case, I believe we are too remote and too small to be bothered with, besides which I have a clear field of fire for more than a quarter of a mile + any raiders have to first come past a minimum of 50+ houses..all of which COULD have armed survivors in them!Big Grin
20 June 2013, 11:00,
Like everything else Lady Luck has a hand in it.

If you live in a small community, they chances are they will look and pass through if they don't see something. But they have to stop somewhere. You house will probably be as good as any other.

If you are remote they will look and they will probably stop at the end of the journey but if there is something up the road and it is early enough they may just carry on their way, unless they see somthing that interests them or they have a reason to stop. You just can't tell. Best prepare for the odd visitor who may also stay overnight. If a gang then keep your head low, if an individual then fresh meat fior the dogs... sorry someone to talk to. But what if there are two, three, four. Think about it.

You prepare your home you stock up you cache everything. You hide in your bunker as a gang of Hells Angels turn up, one has a flat tyre because of your passive protections so they decide it's time to the services the hogs and have a rest, maybe it's time to hole up for the winter. You home looks good. Solid, a fireplace and some wood. Shit happens.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 June 2013, 11:08,
I reckon IF(I still think its a big IF seeing where we are) anyone hits here it'll be the town that gets the brunt of it as that's where the shops, garage and farm store are, we are NOT in town, they may hit the mini industrial estate across the road and the farm shop up the road...... but by the time they get there they've gone past the other end of our road, like I say if they turn in there's 50+ houses that COULD have armed survivors in them!Big Grin
20 June 2013, 20:35,
I don't believe this...........YOU HAVE BEEN CAUGHT ON THE HOP IN FRONT OF YOU ARE op1 1 person......op 2 THERE ARE 6 people you cannot run what are you going to do PLAIN AND SIMPLE !
20 June 2013, 20:49, (This post was last modified: 20 June 2013, 20:50 by Arnie72.)
Opt 1 - Negotiate but fight if needed (no need to turn nasty straight away) and hope my training still gives me the upper hand (not too worried on this one as I was very well trained to fight very dirty - only worry if they were trained as well or better and more recently but very unlikely!)
Opt 2 - Negotiate and pray like buggery, run if fails, if not possible then the fight is inevitable kick as much arse as I can until either they are all done or I am!
For Opt 2 if they have no training then maybe just maybe okay, if they have basic training gets worse, military training OH BUGGER!

OOps just seen the no running fo Opt 2 - ignore the run if fails bit! Smile
21 June 2013, 00:46,
Shit, I have enough trouble not maiming people on a regular basis in normal society, who knows what I'd do post SHTF

My approach is a bit different to most on here though. I don't want to be the loner hiding from the armed mobs, being in one works best for me. I suppose I have a head start with a group of ready to go hairy arsed bikers, whom I trust. But visual intimidation does have it's place... it can show you as a target (they have supplies), but as a hard target (and I'll die if I go anywhere near them).
There are pros and cons, but I don't make a very good grey man... but a large group of olive drab men can be useful.

With this kind of setup though, reputation is important, so you have to be prepared to fight just to maintain the threat level. No need to go out looking for trouble, just be ready for it. And of course make sure the younger cocky sods with no kids and a desire to prove themselves are on the front line.