Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
fight or negotiation
16 June 2013, 14:43,
RE: fight or negotiation
When you are in village when one house looks empty you move on to the next house.

When you are the only house in miles it is worth staying a while and seeing what is there.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
16 June 2013, 14:47,
do you think the chavs from the city will be able to even find the village never mind the isolated house, most of them wont have even been out of the city before.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 June 2013, 15:08,
(15 June 2013, 23:22)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(15 June 2013, 21:05)Highlander Wrote: I still think that not many people would kill when there is no resistance,...let them think they have the upper hand, and they are more likley to go away laughing their socks off

I's sorry HL but I don't think you're right on this one. They won't just think they have the upper hand - they'll actually have you by the short and curlies and I don't think they'll be likely to just go away.

You've handed over control to them and they're going to like your setup. Remember, where you are, they won't be locals - where are they staying? Out in the weather? Or in your comfortable home?

Arrrhhh, hang on a mo, you have just brought in a new scenario there,... I was thinking about people who will be leaving this area, or from this area, people I would expect might be passing by,.. local-ish people [in my job I know them all]

I am not saying that I am changing my entire plan, but I must admit that I would be very wary of people from outside the area, simply because to get into this area, they will have to be extremely persistent, and so by definition really desperate.

If I saw them coming, which I hope I would, then I would still get out and watch from a distance, my house is easily watched from the hills ],.. but would resist any people that come around, and from this new group
A major part of survival is invisibility.
16 June 2013, 16:09, (This post was last modified: 16 June 2013, 16:11 by Highlander.)
I would add to this by saying that I do have a look out spot on the hill to the back of our house, I picked it out because it has a little shelter from the aliments and has a clear view for miles around, and its easily in radio range

People can only approach my place from two directions, and that's along the road, but as we are at the start of a long peninsular, there would be little use walking the one way.

The hills to the back cover a large area, so only people who really know them could travel over them, and no-one knows them like I do, as I walk my dogs there most days,.. there are also many bogs that most people would never know about,.. so that direction is covered,... and opposite is a loch that runs for 29 miles, and is a mile wide,... the far side has a floating bog for about half a mile that runs up against an even higher mountain,..so that direction is covered

So the area is quite easily defensible,.. or at least observable.

I try where possible to do what the old Highlanders do, not very far from my look out post is a feature that's called the `booming Rock`, its a large boulder on a much smaller granite stone, and when the boulder is rocked it makes a booming sound,... it was used both during the 1745 uprising and the later Whiskey bann to warn people that the government forces and the tax men were around

So providing I wasn't taken unawares, I am fairly happy with where I am regarding meeting people

This shows a small part of that view

[Image: runforhome.jpg]
16 June 2013, 16:26,
Ah Highlander - that place is glorious!!

16 June 2013, 16:50,
any person coming onto my estate has to come up the one and only road, one way in same way out...I can see from my house for a quarter of a mile, anyone goes past my house their in a cul de sac..no way out and they've got to go past a lot of houses before they get to mine.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 June 2013, 17:38,
HL,

Dig some holes about sniper distance from your home away from the way in and with an exit route away so you can escape. Then leave a note when they turn up. House protected by the Ghost of the clan McNutter.

Seriously, If I lived where you lived I would make sure most of my food was cached around the valley, I would have some holes dug for defence and I would have plans to disappear if someone just turned up. Have a radio so you can talk to them whilst you watch them pertending to be elsewhere.

There are a few things you can do in those circumstances.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
16 June 2013, 17:43,
I really don't think you've got a problem seeing where you live HL, I wish I lived somewhere like that!Big GrinBig Grin
16 June 2013, 20:15,
(16 June 2013, 17:38)Skean Dhude Wrote: HL,

Dig some holes about sniper distance from your home away from the way in and with an exit route away so you can escape. Then leave a note when they turn up. House protected by the Ghost of the clan McNutter.

Seriously, If I lived where you lived I would make sure most of my food was cached around the valley, I would have some holes dug for defence and I would have plans to disappear if someone just turned up. Have a radio so you can talk to them whilst you watch them pertending to be elsewhere.

There are a few things you can do in those circumstances.

mmm Clan McNutter,...I like that,... this is why I say that much of my stores wont be found...Smile

(16 June 2013, 17:43)bigpaul Wrote: I really don't think you've got a problem seeing where you live HL, I wish I lived somewhere like that!Big GrinBig Grin

I am hoping we dont have a problem, we dont think so, but I will not be taking that for granted
16 June 2013, 21:08,
Just a personal opinion

Negotiate or fight ? I dont think you can state what you would do prior to it happening for a number of reasons.

No matter what measures you take or what security you have in place, sometimes shit just happens. Whether that is due to something you have overlooked, a very smart intruder (s), or just plain bad luck, sometimes shit just happens and you have no choice but to negotiate.

It's down to percentages, sometimes having a slim chance of negotiating your way out of a situation is better than bugger all chance of fighting your way out when the odds are stacked against you.

To my mind survival of me and my family is the be all and end all of what I am trying to achieve, whether that means fighting, negotiating, or begging for my life, I will do whatever offers the best chance of surviving that particular situation.

Sometimes machismo, ego, pride, or just overestimating our abilities gets in the way of what the ultimate aim is, surviving.

As above, just a personal opinion.

G