Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns guns guns...
16 June 2013, 19:55,
RE: Guns guns guns...
A fox has quite a thin skull and light frame, more like a cat than like a dog, nevertheless an air rifle is not a suitable gun for fox shooting. In my county the police allow HMR on fox, and that's more than 20 times as powerful as a UK air rifle, shot placement has to be very good. Proper fox calibres start at 22 Hornet.
16 June 2013, 20:17,
You use what you have available. The law states you can't own the firearms you want. Some people can't get a FAC and have fox issues so the fox gets dealt with in an inhumane way. A side effect of our laws.

It will take some skill to get a fox with a .177. I suspect few can do it and most foxes shot in this way escape to die of a broken jaw or something.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
16 June 2013, 21:07,
Most of the foxes around here would die......... laughing at the silly sods trying to shoot them with a gat.

16 June 2013, 22:40,
(16 June 2013, 20:17)Skean Dhude Wrote: You use what you have available. The law states you can't own the firearms you want. Some people can't get a FAC and have fox issues so the fox gets dealt with in an inhumane way. A side effect of our laws.

It will take some skill to get a fox with a .177. I suspect few can do it and most foxes shot in this way escape to die of a broken jaw or something.

A shotgun is far easier to get than FAC, and much more effective than an air rifle.
16 June 2013, 23:17,
Some people can't get a SGC either. Still easy enough to get an air rifle.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
17 June 2013, 10:44,
and some of us don't want to be on a Police Firearms list.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 June 2013, 11:57,
Hmm honestly killing animals inhumanely wouldn't bother me that much its just how they are likely to be killed by other predators too getting torn up by teeth? It's all about who's the king of the food chain, and in my opinion it's all natural, we wouldn't have guns if everything was natural! Jus' saying.
Winning is not enough
31 October 2013, 20:37,
Reading back through the old posts just thought i'd put my two pence worth in.....shooting a fox with an air rifle in the uk is cruel and wreckless(unless its a highpower fac one) as for .177 vs .22 i was .22 man for an age until i got seriously into shooting(think it was a macho thing,bigger has to be better right!) the truth is the slower moving marginally harder hitting .22 loses out to .177 in the hunting stakes because its harder to shoot more accurately...it has the trajectory of a rainbow compared to the flat shooting .177 which mean's range estimation is a far more crucial skill with the .22 you will need to use more holdover....both calibre's at 12ft lb need to be headshots for clean kills humanely on the animals you will be hunting in the uk , the beauty of missing a headshot is no harm done usually just a fright for the bunny or squizzel....no crawling away to die in agony.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
31 October 2013, 21:51,
OK - leaving aside foxes for the moment. I wonder whether you would play "What If" with me?

I've got a guy 12 foot away from me. I feel my life is threatened. I want to bring him down. If he dies, thats sad, but not my first priority. Just to bring him down so I can get to his head.

I'm still thinking about a CO2 pistol. I've read what people have to say about pistols but in the scenario painted above, I reckon it could do the job.

I hear about CO2 supplies not lasting long but I can stockpile a fair bit and I aint going to use it every day. Just in extremis.

Thoughts and pointers to a good pistol?

allons-y
31 October 2013, 21:54,
(16 June 2013, 19:55)Steve Wrote: Proper fox calibres start at 22 Hornet.

.17 remington me thinks Wink

WaylanderTongue