Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns guns guns...
31 October 2013, 22:38,
RE: Guns guns guns...
RS air pistols in the UK are restricted to half the power of rifles ie 6ft lb , we used to dress up in two pairs of jeans big parka jakets and three wooly hats and play war shooting each other with gats typhoons and milbro bb pistols for fun(teenagers eh?)....unless you get one in the eye its not really gonna put anyone off ....I believe the most powerful pistol at the moment is a Sheridan that works of co2 cartridges for a hundred ish quid......its a a nasty sting but that's about it.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
31 October 2013, 22:44,
(31 October 2013, 21:54)Waylander Wrote:
(16 June 2013, 19:55)Steve Wrote: Proper fox calibres start at 22 Hornet.

.17 remington me thinks Wink

WaylanderTongue

Ah, but the .17 Rem is more powerful than the 22 Hornet. I should have written "proper fox cartridges start at 22 Hornet", although I'm quite happy to use HMR up to 100yds ish. After that it's .308 time. No such thing as overkill Wink
31 October 2013, 22:51, (This post was last modified: 31 October 2013, 23:42 by Midnitemo.)
.17 rem is lightning laser prod shoots flatter than a witches tit....great round for varmints....RS just had a brain wave about your problem, someone will probably shoot me down in flames but here goes anyway....how about a speargun? the kind of thing snorkelers use to fish with...its heavier than a crossbow bolt ,designed to penetrate flesh , difficult to remove as its barbed(will hinder further movement) not sure what kind of range you might get but worth a look I reckon.

I've taken Fox as a target of opportunity with .22lr .17hmr aaa and No5 shot but on the odd occasion I've happened on a fox or vice versa with an air rifle in hand I've just sat quietly and watched him go about his business......only had rimfire on my open ticket before but am considering doing the dsc course so I can get a stalking rifle....don't want to join a shooting club again as i'll spend all my cash on shooting and not preppingCool

RS just been looking at spearguns on ebay....I think I might be onto something here....not overly dear not hard to load come in some handy sizes and you can fit a very evil looking trident type barbed head.....might get one or two myself.

RS what do you think?

Obviously for a veneer of respectability you would need to own some snorkelling gear too Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1 November 2013, 00:27,
Looka nice - I've a further look. Do I need quite a few spears to go with it?
1 November 2013, 00:38, (This post was last modified: 1 November 2013, 00:43 by Midnitemo.)
I don't know is the honest answer but I figure like crossbows if you want a back up shot then you'd need two or three spearguns....not really thought it through properly yet

We need somebody to speak up with some practical experience of spearguns...I've never shot or handled one....need to know if it makes enough power against a human etc.
1 November 2013, 06:34,
My old boss had a spear gun that we played around with a few years back.It was wildly inaccurate and only good for a couple of metres.The spear was way too heavy and the trigger was very heavy,it put me off the whole idea of the Speargun as a viable tool for land.

I have been tinkering with the idea of making a spring powered crossbow just for a fun project,there's lot's of good reading on the Arbalist Guild.

http://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/t...t=crossbow

I don't need one,but it would be a fun winter projectBig Grin
1 November 2013, 06:47,
Spear guns:

Powerful ones have the same difficult to cock issues as a crossbow.

Range on land is limited as the spears are heavy steel.

At short range they have very strong penetrating power.

Again, like crossbows, spear guns are single shot solutions.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

1 November 2013, 12:07,
RS suggest 12ft as the contact range i think a spear from a speargun will out perform a bolt from a crosbow pistol in stopping/debilitating performance i'd like to see how accurate you can be with it though as theres no fletchings on the spear...cocking is easier cos you just put the spear on a little block of wood and put your weight down through it like an oversize gat.
1 November 2013, 21:29, (This post was last modified: 1 November 2013, 21:32 by PreparednessUK.)
I got an HW77 for hunting had it since I was a kid. Got a few co2s for plinking and fun

(31 October 2013, 22:38)Midnitemo Wrote: RS air pistols in the UK are restricted to half the power of rifles ie 6ft lb , we used to dress up in two pairs of jeans big parka jakets and three wooly hats and play war shooting each other with gats typhoons and milbro bb pistols for fun(teenagers eh?)....unless you get one in the eye its not really gonna put anyone off ....I believe the most powerful pistol at the moment is a Sheridan that works of co2 cartridges for a hundred ish quid......its a a nasty sting but that's about it.

I remember those days also used black widows and acorns
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
1 November 2013, 22:32,
(1 November 2013, 21:29)PreparednessUK Wrote: I got an HW77 for hunting had it since I was a kid.

Good choice fella Cool