Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YOUR ACTIONS ON (IA,s)
18 June 2013, 15:37,
RE: YOUR ACTIONS ON (IA,s)
(18 June 2013, 15:32)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(18 June 2013, 13:32)bigpaul Wrote: nearest large town is 8 miles away (population 5,000)

The population of the town I live in is about 12,000 and I think of that as a small town...

maybe I should have said the large-er town! our town-we live on the outskirts- has a population nearer that of a village..1,300
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 June 2013, 15:45,
Watch the world fall apart on TV until it goes off line.

Load all the available magazines while watching.

Go talk to the neighbors about who stands first guard up the road.

Prepare for the arrival of the kids and grandkids.

When the TV goes off start stringing barbed wire and rigging the defensive measures.

After the TV goes out I have about three days before refugees start roaming about, another two or three days before they become insistent and require harsh dealings. Most will not come my way but a few might.

No there will be no last minute filling of pots and pans or runs to the shop to be turned away or exposed to the dangers, or become part of the sad situation. The ones doing that are the mob we have been watching on the TV! Why would a "prepper" need to do that?
18 June 2013, 16:28,
(18 June 2013, 13:32)bigpaul Wrote: I would fill up all my water containers whilst the mains are still on, check radio and tv. early morning as soon as stores open i'd be down to my local co-op and BUY as much as I can..tinned and dried stuff( I've got an emergency cash fund so no queueing at the ATM), i'd ignore all the big supermarkets...probably all cleared and looted already...instead i'd go to all the small village stores and again BUY what I could...also get as much of those small bags of coal as I can and all the bottled water, if the petrol station is open and not blocked with abandoned vehicles i'd top up my fuel can supply if I hadn't already...car has a FULL tank as I top up as soon as it gets to half. then maybe i'd hit the builders merchants at the bottom of the hill and buy some shuttering plywood for my house windows. maybe this would be done in one or two short trips, never going more than 6 miles from the house, then get back and batten down the hatches and wait, don't expect anything too soon as we are not in town, nearest large town is 8 miles away (population 5,000) then 2 others 13 miles, make take some time for the storm to reach here, if it does at all, I expect more people to LEAVE here than COME here, but will be prepared anyway.thanks BP these were exactly the sort of tips I have been after one thing I am going to adopt is an emergency cash fund thanks.
18 June 2013, 16:36,
Spandex, most of prepping is just common sense, sadly this is sadly lacking in the general sheeple population.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 June 2013, 17:38,
(18 June 2013, 15:45)Mortblanc Wrote: No there will be no last minute filling of pots and pans or runs to the shop to be turned away or exposed to the dangers, or become part of the sad situation. The ones doing that are the mob we have been watching on the TV! Why would a "prepper" need to do that?

I can think of two good reason why I would do this if I could and felt it SAFE ENOUGH

1,... although we are prepers and have our stores, there is nothing wrong with getting just a few more items, you money will not be good for long, use it while you can

2,.. but more importantly, I do not want people thinking I have plenty of everything, I would rather stay the grey man and have people think that I am as desperate as they are
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 June 2013, 17:44,
[quote='Highlander' pid='62093' dateline='1371573490)

I can think of two good reason why I would do this if I could and felt it SAFE ENOUGH

1,... although we are prepers and have our stores, there is nothing wrong with getting just a few more items, you money will not be good for long, use it while you can

2,.. but more importantly, I do not want people thinking I have plenty of everything, I would rather stay the grey man and have people think that I am as desperate as they are
[/quote]
EXACTLY HL, I always said I wouldn't go out if there were mobs on the street, why put ourselves at risk? but if we did a "risk assessment" and it was considered safe enough to do so, then we would do so,after all some extra items would save us having to dip into our stores straightaway.
18 June 2013, 18:10, (This post was last modified: 18 June 2013, 18:13 by Spandex228.)
(18 June 2013, 17:44)bigpaul Wrote: [quote='Highlander' pid='62093' dateline='1371573490)

EXACTLY HL, I always said I wouldn't go out if there were mobs on the street, why put ourselves at risk? but if we did a "risk assessment" and it was considered safe enough to do so, then we would do so,after all some extra items would save us having to dip into our stores straightaway.
[/quote]

Yep thanks again some good pointers, my plans are very similar to everyone else who has responded to my thread so far the main thing I will instigate is an emergency fund. Thanks again all
18 June 2013, 19:07, (This post was last modified: 18 June 2013, 19:16 by NorthernRaider.)
Sit back and get the kettle on whilst I watch the news and decide for myself what is going on.

NR (Secure doors, monitor real time news via internet and radio,Single earphone in one ear getting live streamed news, other ear clear for listening for local threats , ignore TV)

Wash shower shave and have plenty to eat, and make sure I am fully hydrated, do these whilst I can do and these are available.

NR ( Light snack probably fruit and energy bars plus coffee)

Check service and repack my BOB and check my EDC.

NR ( Add weapons and seasonal gear to BOB, move to near exit door, Put all EDC items on my person)

Review my plans to bug in/out

NR ( Leave plans alone and review options and intel reports)

Make sure my BOV is packed serviced fully fuelled ready to go.

NR (Ensure vehicle is topped off , pointing nose out and parked up out of sight, fire up every 90 minutes in in severe cold spell)

Go for a check up with the doctor and dentist make sure I am fully fit.

(Nup too risky for me unless suffering from something already)

See what I can still purchase from shops if they still have not been stripped bare and still open.

NR (Nup this comes under the unneccessary risk as almost everyone preppers, cops, authorities, sheeple and looters will be heading that way)

Prioritise checking, improving and increasing Prep’s (if possible) in order of the following priority, food, water, fuel, shelter, and medical/hygiene.

NR ( SECURITY then food, water, fuel, shelter, and medical/hygiene.)

Tits, I forgot to say that if the situation is getting quite bad I and I was part of the urban prepper community I would probably move the BOV to outside the city limits, some place nice and quiet wher I can park up the BOV, someplace i could reach from my house by foot or cycle in a couple of hours. ( something like in the CP or a Travel Lodge or Premier in or factory carpark,)

18 June 2013, 20:21,
I guess that what being a prepper gives you in this situation, is Options. There's a big difference between risk-assessing a trip to the shops to top off your stores, and HAVING to go, risky or not, because you have no stores laid in at home.

This was really brought home to me during the panic over the "fuel strike that never happened" last year. I,ve been keeping tanks toppled off and spare fuel in store since the blockades in 2000. It was comforting to see the chaos unfolding at the pumps last year, knowing that we didn't need to be part of it.

Personally, my priority would be to fill water containers, as I tend not to keep too much drinking water in reserve because it's basically "perishable". We do keep some, which we rotate regularly, which would be enough for the mains going off for a couple of days, but not enough for a prolonged problem.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
18 June 2013, 21:27,
It was interesting watching the panic as the fuel ran out. Personally, I parked in the drive with a full tank and some cans and only drove when I needed to keeping my fuel just in case I had to make that emergency dash to the hospital with the kids. Thanksfully, that never happened and I worked from home for a few weeks until it was over.

Those guys showed us how dependent we are on fossil fuels and made me think differently about many situations.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin