Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets look at hazards after TSHTF
20 June 2013, 15:10,
RE: Lets look at hazards after TSHTF
HL, I would have thought that at least one of the estates would serve as the nucleus for a strong community, looking after and being looked after by it's workers initially, then progressively, by more of the locals. Is that not a possibility?

20 June 2013, 15:11,
that's a good point GG!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 June 2013, 16:01,
That is exactly my thinking GG too
20 June 2013, 16:11,
(20 June 2013, 15:10)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: HL, I would have thought that at least one of the estates would serve as the nucleus for a strong community, looking after and being looked after by it's workers initially, then progressively, by more of the locals. Is that not a possibility?

Yes you are right GG,.. in fact the local estate house is more than a house, its a castle.

....at the moment all Estate workers live in estate houses, but could easily be moved in, there is plenty of room

The owner is a very good owner, not at all `above anyone`, I talk to him most days,... and as I am the Postman for the place I often get invited to various shindigs,... so maybe I have a BOL after all...Smile

http://loyalty33.smugmug.com/keyword/gle...&k=hbNb67q
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 June 2013, 16:34,
That's a grand wee croft he has there.... Big Grin

20 June 2013, 16:46,
that IS a castle!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 June 2013, 17:29,
Yes GG I had the same thoughts......Highlander being the big boss man lol
20 June 2013, 17:36,
(20 June 2013, 17:29)Straight Shooter Wrote: Yes GG I had the same thoughts......Highlander being the big boss man lol

Big Grin,..I wish
A major part of survival is invisibility.
4 August 2013, 15:44,
Apparently one of our US based readers is interested in this brief article and I feel I should point out that the post would need to be Americanised for US consumption. Items that need including are the extra hazards that affect CONUS including

Malaria
Yellow Fever
Denge Fever
Hanta Virus
Fire Ants
Africanised Honey bees etc
and any of the other nasties that are only kept in check now by affirmative action by Federal or State agencies.

Others that MAY affect the US and UK are issues such as anti biotic resistant TB that still lurks around in many Asian migrant communities.

(20 June 2013, 12:43)NorthernRaider Wrote: Lets look at hazards after TSHTF

What are we likely to face after a major disaster or societal collapse, We are talking the RISKS and HAZARDS I this thread not the rebuilding process. I have made little or no mention of many systems such as the NHS, Social Services etc as I believe they are already in a state of collapse.

Short Term 0 to 6 months

Inflation
Hyper Inflation
Food and Fuel Shortages
Strikes by the public sector
The stopping of public transport
The Police withdrawn to protecting state assets
999/911 goes unanswered
Power cuts / Brown outs
Interupted water supplies
Rubbish uncollected
Council public services suspended indefinitely
No money in the ATM machines
Banks stop opening
State seizure of public’s savings
Food rationing
Martial Law
Riots, Looting and mass civil disobedience
Large scale fires caused by arson
Surge in predatory violent crime
Seizure of legally held guns
Mobile phone system turned off
Suspension of civil rights and habeas corpus
Troops on the streets
Private Security Contractors on the streets
Street lights, CCTV systems, traffic lights, public toilets etc turned off
Preppers and Survivalists activate their plans.
General public wait for normality to return.
Battery produced animals and exotic pets die off.
Coal / Oil and Gas power stations fall offline
In the US I expect carnage as people use guns as an answer to most issues.

Mid term 6 months to 3 years

Mass outbreaks of disease caused by failure of public hygiene systems (Typhus, Thyphoid, Cholera, E Coli, MRSA, Salmonella, Measles , Mumps, Rubella, Diphtheria, Tetanus. etc)
Mass rioting, Looting and civil unrest
Violence used to access food and fuel supplies
Fire arms used by authorities to restore order
Shops looted and no longer restocked
Food distribution centers taken over by state
Road haulage of essential supplies ceases.
Power and gas and water go off and stay off
Anarchy, mob and gang violence is the norm in many urban areas
Mass deaths of young, old and vulnerable plus victims of animal and human predation
Mass burials of the dead for a while
Solar panels and Wind turbines salvaged and looted from public properties for reuse by survivors.
Highways become hunting grounds for thugs preying on refugees
Unsecured farm animals like hill sheep, dairy cattle etc die off, pigs, goats, semi-wild cattle break out of farms.
Invasive species like Coypu, Wild boar explode in numbers and hunted species like Foxes and Pheasant thrive.
Rats numbers peak and begin to attack dogs, cats and vulnerable humans
Nuclear power stations shut down
Access to anti biotics becomes very difficult and fatalities increase among accidentally injured
Overhead roads, Bridges, Tunnels, Viaducts, Pylons etc start to fail.

Long term 3 to 10 years

Incidents of Bubonic and Pneumonic Plague, TB, Small Pox etc expected
Rodent population explodes massively until food resources are exhausted and die off occurs
Dead left unburied disease outbreaks matched only by plagues of flies.
Fires left to burn themselves out and many areas burn to the ground.
Many areas completely abandoned as resources are depleted.
Troops, Police and Security forces abandon their posts to take care of own families or form own groups.
Mass die off peaks after disease, violence and starvation takes its toll
Survivors and gangs vie for resources and territory
Some water resources / reservoirs become too poisoned to be used
National grid gas, elec and water distribution systems go into disrepair through lack of maintenance.
Many minor roads become impassable because of plant growing and falling trees.
Flooding increases as drains, gullies and storm water systems become clogged or silted up.
Anti-biotics become almost non-existent even small infects can lead to death for the unfortunate
Mass die off of rodents, surviving canines and felines are now completely feral, risk from packs of dogs is equaled by risk from wild pigs and invasive species.
Many bridges and tunnels will become impassable

4 August 2013, 18:35,
(4 August 2013, 15:44)NorthernRaider Wrote: Apparently one of our US based readers is interested in this brief article and I feel I should point out that the post would need to be Americanised for US consumption. Items that need including are the extra hazards that affect CONUS including

Malaria
Yellow Fever
Denge Fever
Hanta Virus
Fire Ants
Africanised Honey bees etc
and any of the other nasties that are only kept in check now by affirmative action by Federal or State agencies.

Others that MAY affect the US and UK are issues such as anti biotic resistant TB that still lurks around in many Asian migrant communities.

I think your original list is right on the money. Of your additions to the list:
Malaria, Yellow Fever, Denge Fever, Hanta Virus, Fire Ants, Africanised Honey bees - we pretty much handle these ourselves, with no help from the feds and little from the state. It's simply a question of pest control, and we can buy what's needed at the local hardware store.

Dunno how to deal with the dreaded etc though...
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!