Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surgical sewing?
27 June 2013, 20:11,
RE: Surgical sewing?
(27 June 2013, 20:01)Stewart Wrote: don,t forget soper glue,i use it if one of my dogs cuts a pad,clean the wound first of course..my son fell and split his head open and that was glued together at a&e.

Hadn't forgotten it Stewart but thanks. The thought of having to try tearing my fingers away from a patient's just-closed wound, that they've become stuck to and the potential thump round the ear from said patient.... Big Grin

I will certainly have a place though. Smile

27 June 2013, 20:58,
ah yeah, forgot about super glue(and the many tubes of release agent too !!) ..developed by the yanks I think...for use in the Vietnam war! I personally haven't got a tube in my first aid kits....its handy stuff maybe...but deadly without the release agent(imo).....we used this to glue "folks" eyelids together..if they were sunken or hard to keep shut with perforated eye caps......Sorry ...went off there abit Smile
27 June 2013, 21:00,
Need to know, old chap - need to know... what, what?

27 June 2013, 21:12,
what about ???? young man ....what about....Smile
27 June 2013, 21:37,
Suturing is on my list of things to learn, dont forget not all stitches are for injuries some people get implants (subdermal/magnetic) and this requires stitches. Before everyone screams there butchers alot of peoplr who do these practices can know more about stuff than some doctors. So you might find some useful material in subjects youd not normaly look at.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
29 June 2013, 17:00,
(27 June 2013, 21:37)Metroyeti Wrote: Suturing is on my list of things to learn, dont forget not all stitches are for injuries some people get implants (subdermal/magnetic) and this requires stitches. Before everyone screams there butchers alot of peoplr who do these practices can know more about stuff than some doctors. So you might find some useful material in subjects youd not normaly look at.

I learned to suture with a copy of Ethilon's Wound Closure Manual, a suture set from the hospital where I worked, a scalpel, some outdated suture with curved atraumatic needles (000 Ethilon, like fishing line), and a fresh ham my mother bought for Sunday dinner. Make an incision in the skin-side of the ham, sew it up, make another incision, sew it up, and so on. When done, remove sutures, bake ham in oven, serve with red cabbage and sweet potatoes! Big Grin
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
29 June 2013, 18:37,
If you make good friends with a butcher, they'll let you practice on a joint of pig. Or, you could just buy a joint, with skin, cut it open, and practice on that.

I guess that's the fun of medical students. They can teach you some cool stuff. Just need to get them to steal stuff for me haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
3 July 2013, 13:05,
(29 June 2013, 18:37)Scythe13 Wrote: If you make good friends with a butcher, they'll let you practice on a joint of pig. Or, you could just buy a joint, with skin, cut it open, and practice on that.

I guess that's the fun of medical students. They can teach you some cool stuff. Just need to get them to steal stuff for me haha.

Not a bad idea.. Is pork the nearest to human skin? Least I can eat what I sew lol Big Grin
3 July 2013, 23:43,
(3 July 2013, 13:05)MCavity Wrote: Is pork the nearest to human skin?

It is MC. That's why programmes like Mythbusters use pig carcasses as stand-ins for humans. I has also been recommended in the thread by a person 'of experience', although given that he's ex-Navy (well, Coasties...), I'd hesitate to say what the 'experience' might have been...

4 July 2013, 07:34,
I do not know a lot about suturing but i know you need different thicknesses of "thread" depending on how big and where the injury is. if it is deep i am pretty sure you have to suture inside the wound and then again on the surface to make sure the whole wound closes. There is also different suture styles. as in the way you sew it up.

Don't forget if it doesn't get absorbed by the body you will then have to remove the stitches yourself.

There is a good vid on youtube of a guy suturing. ill see if i can find it
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here