Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
swapping GHB for BOB
24 July 2013, 16:22,
RE: swapping GHB for BOB
(24 July 2013, 16:18)BeardyMan Wrote:
(24 July 2013, 13:08)bigpaul Wrote: OK I bow to your knowledge, all the ones I've seen had small wheels, I prefer a full size bike myself.

Montague Paratrooper 2. Best folding bike you can get.
Shame it's over a grand!!

bloody hell, you can buy my motorbike for thatBig GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 July 2013, 16:26,
(24 July 2013, 16:22)bigpaul Wrote:
(24 July 2013, 16:18)BeardyMan Wrote:
(24 July 2013, 13:08)bigpaul Wrote: OK I bow to your knowledge, all the ones I've seen had small wheels, I prefer a full size bike myself.

Montague Paratrooper 2. Best folding bike you can get.
Shame it's over a grand!!

bloody hell, you can buy my motorbike for thatBig GrinBig Grin

Yeah. That's the other option, a little monkey bike or something that'd fit in the boot easily.
24 July 2013, 16:29,
or fit an A frame and tow it behind.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 July 2013, 15:58,
Smaller wheels does not quite mean pedalling a lot more distance - It would also be relative to the gearing. The rolling inertia of large wheels is much better and this makes it better for distance, but smaller wheels are easier to turn for an equivalent gear ratio - therefore higher gearing can be used. Large wheels are better but small wheels are not that bad. Small wheels are easier to manouvre & turn across rough terrain. Also, 200 miles home is probably a lot further if alternative back routes have to be improvised and therefore time taken may expand as well. One persons GHB is another's BOB. Skills and environment are crucial as well. TL
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
26 July 2013, 19:48,
What I meant by 'I only need to get back to my car' is that I have both a BOB and GHB in there. As long as I can get to the car, I can get one bag, or the other....or both....and start walking.

I'm not saying 100 miles isn't a fair distance. But if you're 100 miles away, and your loved ones are at home, then you might as well figure which pack/packs to carry, and start moving. Travelling 100 miles on foot is doable. For me, it would be much easier to travel 100 miles, than it would be to not know that my wife is safe! I would rather walk 100 miles, than mope around and hope she's okay, but live in that constant uncertainty.

On the other hand...oh wait, there is no other hand. Priority is the family. I'd travel whatever distance is needed, to make sure they're okay. And I bet there's not a single family person on here that would rather set up camp, than start travelling to their loved ones.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 July 2013, 21:12,
Today I saw a slightly different way of getting around that might well be of interest to someone,... I saw a guy hiking, towing an open double Canadian Canoe, the canoe was on boggie wheels and attached to the back of his belt, he carried a back pack on his back, and another in the canoe, along with a paddle

I stopped and asked him if he had come far like that, just to start up a conversation,.... it turns out he is touring Scotland, on his own by water as much as possible, and towing the canoe between one stretch of water to the next.

It didn't go unnoticed that this would make a great way of bugging out, or getting home,... the canoe is very light and easy to pull, even up hill, he was carrying far more goods than one man could normally carry, and carrying those goods in his own transport

Traveling via water is easier, would most likely be safer, he told me that during this recent hot weather he had spent many nights `camped` on the water
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 July 2013, 06:26,
Highlander, Thank you for this. Certainly a great advantage in carrying more food and equipment. It would certainly help to get to some of the small islands within the Lochs. It might be safer to bug out on an Island, particularly one covered in scrub. Kenneth Eames.